Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25353738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors - BC

Thanks for putting this thread together! Very helpful

Hey all. Just getting into the world of hunting and shooting and my PAL just showed up this week (woot!). I have questions about ranges and learning to shoot in general; I'm in the lower mainland in Vancouver and have been looking at the ranges in the area; possibly Mission, but to be honest I wouldn't be entirely sure what to do when I got there. I assume the ranges have a run through on etiquette but given that I haven't grown up around hunters/shooters I am complete newbie (despite being in my late 40s) when it comes to this stuff. Got some general tips through the firearms course and have had a friend with some experience take me out but I don't always have access to him and this is something I would like to be able to pursue so looking for general tips. How does one learn what to do at a range? For example:
    - how to shoot, and practice shooting, efficiently.
    - how to site in a rifle, etc.
    - If I want to learn to use a shotgun, do I need to find somewhere that isn't limited to slugs?

Seems especially difficult in this age of Covid as I have come across a few courses that are not currently running as a result.

Appreciate any input you may have.

CGN frequent flyer
    Every range will have a safety course you will be required to take before you can shoot. Often you will have to make a certain # of visits under supervision before full membership is permitted. Every range will have rules for you to read that will explain calibres allowed, slug use etc

YouTube is the answer for general handling/sighting in questions. Or right here on CGN or other similar forums.

What firearms are you planning to shoot/buy? I'm wondering about your choice of Mission range - that's a long drive from Vancouver.
    Last edited by BioPace; 03-01-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
    Bureaucracy not an instrument of democratic government but, on the contrary, the worst enemy of freedom and democracy.
    If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only applies to the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by BioPace View Post
    Every range will have a safety course you will be required to take before you can shoot. Often you will have to make a certain # of visits under supervision before full membership is permitted. Every range will have rules for you to read that will explain calibres allowed, slug use etc

YouTube is the answer for general handling/sighting in questions. Or right here on CGN or other similar forums.

What firearms are you planning to shoot/buy? I'm wondering about your choice of Mission range - that's a long drive from Vancouver.
    Appreciate the info. From where I am the Mission range and the Coquitlam range are approx. the same distance. Actually, had a good chat with someone at the Coquitlam range over the weekend and she filled me in on their current protocols as they can't run their course due to Covid restrictions. Ultimately, when looking to settle on a location I would probably just drive out to look around but assume access would be limited at the present time.

As far as firearms go mostly hunting related non-restricted stuff: Own a .308 at present but have also been looking at getting a 22LR. Will also pick up a shotgun at some point for small game. At this point, no plans to move beyond those 3.
    Last edited by Ispy; 03-01-2021 at 06:30 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ispy View Post
    Appreciate the info. From where I am the Mission range and the Coquitlam range are approx. the same distance. Actually, had a good chat with someone at the Coquitlam range over the weekend and she filled me in on their current protocols as they can't run their course due to Covid restrictions. Ultimately, when looking to settle on a location I would probably just drive out to look around but assume access would be limited at the present time.

As far as firearms go mostly hunting related non-restricted stuff: Own a .308 at present but have also been looking at getting a 22LR. Will also pick up a shotgun at some point for small game. At this point, no plans to move beyond those 3.
    Fair point about getting to burke, I can see how it might be a PITA from some parts of Vancouver.

Mission has a 300m range iirc, which would be nice for stretching out your. 308. In fact the only 'knock' I ever heard about Mission is that they weren't the place to look kindly on rapid firing semi autos- which is mostly not a thing these days anyway.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
    Bureaucracy not an instrument of democratic government but, on the contrary, the worst enemy of freedom and democracy.
    If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only applies to the poor.

Hello,
    I just got my license this week after 6-7 months of waiting in Mississauga, Ontario. Can you please recommend me what to do next ?
    - I should join a club first ? What club is good and reasonably price for me near Mississauga that has good instructors/ someone to help newbies like me ? Do they rent out guns to shoot so i can have a feel of what I'd like to buy ?
    - What popular guns for a newbies like me ? I'd like to start out with a hand gun and a rifle (pump action or semi) ?
    - Any gun group around me would let me join and learn from you guys ?
    Thanks a lot,

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn65 View Post
    I'm moving to Kelowna in March and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a club/range in the area that permits the use of handguns. So far I've only found one in Lake Country and Penticton.
    If I understand it right there's one in Kelowma as well but they only permit members that are in certain diciplines in their indoor range?
    Any one any idea or more info on the one in Kelowna?
    Vernon fish and game club is out on Noble canyon road about an hour from Kelowna.
    Member, CSSA, NFA, NRA

Wrong sub.
    Last edited by Mazeofmystery; 09-06-2021 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Wrong place.
    Just call me "MAZE"

Hi guys:

Is Silvercore a good place to get lessons? I don't do too well in classroom settings and would much prefer private lessons by the hour. Is there a way to find reputable shooting coaches in the Vancouver area?

Quote Originally Posted by qch777 View Post
    Hi guys:

Is Silvercore a good place to get lessons? I don't do too well in classroom settings and would much prefer private lessons by the hour. Is there a way to find reputable shooting coaches in the Vancouver area?
    Call Eric at BC Firearms Academy, I have no doubt they can help you out. Fantastic teachers and ridiculously good shooters, can’t go wrong with them
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty