Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors - Alberta

Hey guys, I'm looking for a mentor to teach me how to hunt and fish. I never got to learn how to hunt when I was growing up and only went fishing a handful of times.
I'm 26 now, have my PAL/RPAL and have a few firearms with potential for small game, fowl and deer.
Send me a PM if you'd be willing to show me a few things.

-Wesley

Noobie from Sherwood park. Originally from farm near Lethbridge. Minimal exp with grandpas.22lr. Married to a yank gal who actually wants more guns in the house!

Restricted and non restricted pal for over a dozen years but never actually purchased anything until now. Starting from scratch and looking for any advice/input on any topic re safes pistols rifles shotguns.

Rough priorities are 1,safe 2,pistol 3,shotgun 4,goofy ar platform with stuff hung off the front (silly I know, but want one to exercise my privilege to own one. 5, true hunting rifle.

Recently signed up for full membership at Phoenix. Would like to get with Sherwood park range. Was disheartened to learn that it was "full". Country boy stuck in the city, and not knowing what to do about not having my own land to shoot on.

I need training and intend on taking back badge when I pick a pistol. So please, make recommendations. Are prices for each similar across the retailers? Spoke with Kelly at pheonix quite a bit last week and was put at ease with the time he was willing to spend with me. Plan on giving them a lot of business.

Looking to make some shooting contacts. Everything from folks that just like guns to anyone who needs gophers eradicated to people who have a place to let me try shooting skeet.

Wiling to pay for ammo, fuel, car pool, etc obviously. Also willing to join other ranges to make friendships and mentoring more feasible.

I see firearms as a necessary tool. They need to be respected and enjoyed responsibly. A major factor in that is knowledgeable use. Any tradesman wouldn't use a tool without being trained on it appropriately.

I'm a fireman and paramedic and have a pretty decent open schedule.

Thanks for your time. Hopefully someone reads this.

Marc

Hey all, barely any experience with shooting and definitely want to get into it. I have my Rpal and just got a membership to Calgary Shooting Centre, if anyones willing to help me out would awesome not many "noob" courses out there for beginners trying to get into the restricted market.

Hi, dose anyone know any crown land (or whatever) close to Edmonton? The land that no one will bother me, and no need to call or ask for a permission. I have 400 rounds M855 and want to shoot all of them. Coz I'm going to leave Canada end of this month.

A newbie vein the Calgary area, started many conversions on the Canadian Gun Owners forum, but didn't here because I cannot find this forum on tapatalk.

I'll start checking this place or too.

Hi all- Edmonton n00b here... Just waiting for my RPAL to get approved and mailed. In the mean time I've been out at the range trying out different pistols and different calibres... But there's a few I haven't had the chance to try. I'm hoping someone In the Edmonton area has/ would be willing to let me try the following pistols:

Norinco NP - 22 in 9mm
Bersa Thunder Pro in either 9mm or .40 S&W

I'm willing to Pay range fees & feed the pistols as needed. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I want as a first purchase. Any interested parties- if you could send me a PM or if someone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hello You CanadianGunNutz!

Edmonton here, originally from London, England, and have my RPAL in process

I've shot a few times at buddy's farm, always Gophers and had a go on .22, .270. 200, 12 gauge and 20 gauge.

As soon as the license is in, I'm buying a Marlin 60 .22lr, Bushnell XLT Trophy scope, a 12 gauge Remington 870 and a Trius 1 step thrower (already invested in a rifle case, 3 trigger locks, bipod and neoprene sling, good bye end of year tax returns!).

Going off of timelines posted here, I'll have my RPAL by mid May and atm, just looking to connect with people who are up for shooting gophers and also do some skeet/trap shooting. I don't have access to farm land but if you go anywhere around Edmonton (up to about 1-2 hrs from town), I'd be in for sure. Would also be willing for people use my gear in case they're thinking of buying a 22 or 12 gauge.

I'll update this post as soon as I receive and have all gear in but just wanted to get on people's radar.

Speak soon folks.

Hello, looking for anyone to show me around some good land to go plinking on around Calgary, preferably north of the city and not too far out.
Thanks

Hi Guys I am looking for some information to help me out. I am currently living and hunting in the uk and will be hopefully be moving to Calgary very soon. I will only be over in Canada on a work visa so I will not be allowed to hunt on my own. so my question is how hard is it to get a place to hunt as people struggle in the uk to find land to shoot on. I have been lucky and have always had several thousand aces to hunt over in the uk because I have worked as a gamekeeper. I am really looking forward to having a go at coyote hunting I think that looks really interesting I love foxing in the uk but that looks something else. I know I would have to find a Canadian who would let me tag along. but what are the rules about coyote hunting? Is there ground that anybody can go hunting on?
Thanks Richard

Hi, I am recently relocated to Edmonton, would like to meet people who have more experiences.
I am pretty new to this hobby.
only got my PAL recently and thinking venture into hunting (that will be new to me as well)
got a .270 win rifle and looking into expanding the collection somewhat

Hi I am just getting into the sport of shooting and hunting for myself and I am in need of a mentor for some questions and many some help look forward to herring back from you

Hi folks,

I am planning to buy a glock 17 handgun.
Where I can get a better deal and what is the price range?

Also what is the price of ammo?

Thanks.
Tom

Hi Jonanddad,

Where you bought the glock 17 and how does it feel like?
Is ammo costly?

Also what is the different between FXD and GEn4?

Tom

Last edited:
I figured I'd bump this since CHAS is opening up memberships today and I'll be applying for one as soon as they open them up. I already have a Marlin Model 795 and looking to start with the M&P9 Range Kit for my first pistol. Anyone else going to be new to CHAS or some veterans looking to teach an amateur the ropes out there this winter?

Back
Top Bottom