Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors - Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Cassah View Post
    I am an absolute newb who knows nothing about guns at all, but I am very interested in learning. Can anyone recommend a instructor or course in the Edmonton area that can help me with the absolute basics?
    If you want to try out shooting for the first time I would head over to the Pheonix range (with a buddy, always funner with a buddy). The Range Officers (RO's) are quite knowledgable and will teach you the basics of Firearm Safety and handling the firearm. Ive been to the Pheonix range before and I had a positive experience.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer orthoboy's Avatar
    Dean Fraser, www.tactical.ca
    Incredible instructor! Hope it's okay. I found his name on a similar google for edmonton firearms safety courses.
    d

Hi all! New to the forum, and so far have found it to be a great, friendly resource. I'm learning already so that's good.

I grew up on a farm and as such did lots of shooting as a youngster; pest control and whatnot. Last year my brother and dad got back into hunting and it has peaked my interest. Can't say I'm really into hunting bigger game myself, mostly enjoy shooting targets and pest control.

I have a few other hobbies that demand precision and attention to detail, and after reading these forums I think I could be very interested in learning more about the mechanical aspects of firearms. A big part of that is for safety but also I love how these things work and would like to learn more. Outside of handling a firearm properly and knowing enough to get by, it's clear I have MUCH to learn after reading these forums.

I'm interested in a bolt action rifle, and having talked with a few people think I have decided on the one I want... As well I really like the norinco m305 and I think the whole customization and DIY aspect of that rifle is what interests me. But, before diving into it blind and wasting money I would like to learn more, guess that's why I'm here.

Anyways that's my story haha love the forum and I hope to learn as much as my limited cranial capacity will allow.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Cassah View Post
    I am an absolute newb who knows nothing about guns at all, but I am very interested in learning. Can anyone recommend a instructor or course in the Edmonton area that can help me with the absolute basics?
    You might want to check out Rob Furong's Marksmanship Academy. Looks like they have some courses coming up.

Anybody here been to the Bonnyville Shooting Club? It looks like it's the only one in the area, and the prices are great, and was just curious if anybody would like to go out shooting in a couple months once I get my rPAL and an SKS.

Hello all,

Recently moved to Edmonton from the fraser valley in BC. I've been looking to join a range in the area, cause it's so flat around here you can't just shoot anywhere...
    I tried to join the Sherwood Park F&G but they're full for 2013. I've considered the Spruce Grove Club, and from reading snippets of this thread I discovered the CHAS. Phoenix membership is out of my price range.
    I've got a couple .22's, and an SKS I just recently bought and have used once.
    The little shooting knowledge I have was passed to me from my dad when I was really little.
    I'm interested in learning rifle technique and marksmanship, although I also am really interested in trap or skeet. In fact I don't really know the difference of the two. Isn't in just shooting the clay disc in the air?
    If anyone wants a shooting buddy for an afternoon or has a suggestion of where to go and who to meet, please "shoot" me a PM.
    I work in trades so I'm up early and work a 10hr day, weekends are the only days I'm allowed out of the house.
    Thanks,
    Gord

Quote Originally Posted by uselessnamehere View Post
    Hello all,

Recently moved to Edmonton from the fraser valley in BC. I've been looking to join a range in the area, cause it's so flat around here you can't just shoot anywhere...
    I tried to join the Sherwood Park F&G but they're full for 2013. I've considered the Spruce Grove Club, and from reading snippets of this thread I discovered the CHAS. Phoenix membership is out of my price range.
    I've got a couple .22's, and an SKS I just recently bought and have used once.
    The little shooting knowledge I have was passed to me from my dad when I was really little.
    I'm interested in learning rifle technique and marksmanship, although I also am really interested in trap or skeet. In fact I don't really know the difference of the two. Isn't in just shooting the clay disc in the air?
    If anyone wants a shooting buddy for an afternoon or has a suggestion of where to go and who to meet, please "shoot" me a PM.
    I work in trades so I'm up early and work a 10hr day, weekends are the only days I'm allowed out of the house.
    Thanks,
    Gord
    Hi Gord,
    I got a membership at Ponoka Fish and Game which includes range privileges for $55.00 and it is only about 35 minutes south of Edmonton and you can stay overnight if you have a self contained camping unit. Great deal well worth the short drive. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fretman View Post
    Hi Gord,
    I got a membership at Ponoka Fish and Game which includes range privileges for $55.00 and it is only about 35 minutes south of Edmonton and you can stay overnight if you have a self contained camping unit. Great deal well worth the short drive. Scott
    This is interesting. They seem to be the cheapest so far as I have seen. Is this range closer than Genesee if you're coming from Southeast of Edmonton? What other outdoor ranges are good options? I'm interested in tactical shooting, i.e. being able to practice holster draws, shooting metal targets etc.. Indoor ranges can be an option too if one can do these sorts of things...

BANNED
    Is there any tactical classes that only use primary weapons?
    I haven't sent in my Rpal forms and don't need a handgun.
    Every class I've seen needs both primary and secondary weapons.

The other class/instruction I'd like is on long distance shooting with a 22.
    Yes laugh at me, but I like to and have enough property to shoot 500+ yds.
    Having the skill to shoot 200+ yds is tough imo and I'd like to learn more about wind reading and trigger control.
    All would make me imo a more skilled shooter with any gun.
    I'm in the Calgary area.

hi am trying to sell my 7mm saum tube gun and i have no clue how to post my add and pics any help would be great