Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors - Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    I have a membership with SPFGA, but I go to Phoenix and just pay the drop in fee. It's a lot closer to home, and a comfortable temperature in the winter. From what I have experienced, they have no problem letting people do this and it would not surprise me if it accounts for a large percent of their income. If they started demanding that people buy memberships after X amounts of visits they would lose lots of money. Plenty of people can afford and justify 22 bucks, multiple times per year, less people can afford $475 or whatever it is nowadays. Even counting the cost of my SPFGA membership and my drop in fees, I've still saved almost $200 this year. Granted, I'm going to look into getting a Phoenix membership because I want to get competitive and start going at least once a week rather than once every few months.

I've met a few of the people from CHAS, they seem like good folks.
    Steve. Thanks for the response. If I bring my own gun in can I bring my own ammo or do I have to purchase ammo from Phoenix?

Quote Originally Posted by Simonw View Post
    Steve. Thanks for the response. If I bring my own gun in can I bring my own ammo or do I have to purchase ammo from Phoenix?
    If you take your own gun, you can take your own ammo. It's nice and close to work, love it there... shame the membership fees are so out of whack with everyone else in and around the city....

thanks CUWE. I can understand the cost of running an establishing such as phoenix, insurance, staffing, inventory, etc. for the real "Gun Nuts" who go 20 times a year then it is well worth it. however, I am not sure how much I will be shooting and I really am trying to keep cost reasonable so that it doesn't discourage me from this sport. I think the Edm Shooter Guild is the way to go for the first year just to see.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonw View Post
    You can bring your own ammo, except for steel core ammo. They'll swipe it with a magnet to check.

Check their calendar though, especially if you're looking to bring your rifle. The rifle range gets taken over by a marauding band of vikings every so often, so they can do their IPSC stuff in there. Also, it's not uncommon for a large group or two to come in and all of a sudden the range goes from empty to full. If you show up during prime time you might have to wait a while before you can go in, but it's not so bad if you've got your license and don't need constant supervision.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

I've been contemplating getting a membership at Spruce Grove Range.. But heard lots of talk about the Sherwood park range..
    Anyone have any input?

I will be shooting mainly .45acp and .357mag..
    Also, Big into Trap/Skeet/Clay pigeon shooting.. <-- This is a must have.

So, Which facility is better?

Hello nester. Just joined this site and I'm fairly new to the world of hand guns. I'm from out in Lacombe and I'm wondering of the best range to join in the area ? I've heard mixed reviews about the one that fish and game has in RD.

I go to Sherwood Park range and I think it's great. The skeet range is pretty nice and doesnt seem too busy. My buddy used to shoot at Spruce grove Range and he thinks Sherwood Park is better. Says your not babysat as much. Hope this helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    I've been contemplating getting a membership at Spruce Grove Range.. But heard lots of talk about the Sherwood park range..
    Anyone have any input?

I will be shooting mainly .45acp and .357mag..
    Also, Big into Trap/Skeet/Clay pigeon shooting.. <-- This is a must have.

So, Which facility is better?

I go to Sherwood Park range and I think it's great. The skeet range is pretty nice and doesnt seem too busy. My buddy used to shoot at Spruce grove Range and he thinks Sherwood Park is better. Says your not babysat as much. Hope this helps a little.

I am an absolute newb who knows nothing about guns at all, but I am very interested in learning. Can anyone recommend a instructor or course in the Edmonton area that can help me with the absolute basics?

Hi, I'm new to this site