Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I screwed up a few years ago, PAL being denied - no criminal record

Unhappy I screwed up a few years ago, PAL being denied - no criminal record

Hello,

Sorry for the long story. I would like some advice.

My wife applied for her RPAL and it was granted after a year, but came with the condition that she cannot store guns or ammo in any residence I occupy. She has also lost interest in having an RPAL in the last year and just wants a regular PAL, not sure if that will make a difference.

I was hoping to apply for a PAL to go hunting, but I with the above situation, I know it will just be denied.

I have no criminal record and never have. I know the reason why this is likely happening. During the Pandemic I got into an ongoing conflict with my neighbour. He was an ex special constable who was given early retirement for mental issues and going through a messy divorce. He was abusive and a serial cheater. He was still good friends with the police department though and his Facebook had pictures of him hanging out with the cops and other such things.

He would frequently get into conflicts with neighbours and call the police. The first time he did this on me was because I was using a leaf blower during our renovations. This escalated over the years, at first with me being very cooperative with the PD but eventually becoming agitated as it seemed like harassment.

He threatened to kill me, threatened to sexually assault my wife and exposed himself to her, would taunt me about my dead father, suggest he was going to sexually assault me, would "accidentally" send people for his weird selling business to our house, sometimes after dark. Sometimes he'd violate my property line or damage our property. This went on for three years and any time he had the chance he'd call the police and claim he was threatened. One time he called the police on me claiming I had a weapon which was an exacto blade I was using for the renovations outside I was doing. Police came out and told me to "drop the weapon" which I did. I showed them the roots that were being cut with it, my wife talked to the officer and no charges were laid.

He would also call parking services if he saw me working with an axe or jack. This caused them to come out and report I had "axes and tire irons" and felt threatened. I was doing major landscaping renos like retaining wall construction and would never be outside without a whole wack load of tools. Eventually he hit me in the back of the head and we tussled. I did have a blade on me during this but I didn't take it out. No charges were ever laid but some of the cops were definitely not very impartial when coming out. My wife even reported one of the officers because he showed up at 11 at night and threatened us physically. Many of the officer we interacted with were very good, some were not.

Eventually it started to wear on my mental health and the constant harassment calls from police made me confrontation with them and very worried about what he might do. I even asked the officers about the option of getting a firearm to protect myself if he made good on his threats. I now realize this was the dumbest thing I could have said, but I didn't have malicious intent, I was started to get seriously freaked out by the situation and was worried. I was just naive and hadn't been keeping up with firearms laws and the whole "firearms are never for self defence" culture that has become the official line in Canada.

We moved out of the house and city to escape the situation. Its been almost two years now, no interactions with Police, no problems. I have a good education and am mentally stable but looking back on this situation I handled it really badly and played into this guys hands and let him rile me up.

Now Im realizing this is a serious problem for getting my hunting license. I previous had a FAC but let it lapse. I am working with a lawyer to see if my wifes condition can be removed or if there is anyway I can ever get my regular PAL.

Yes I am dumb and would do it totally differently if I could, but there's probably like 6-8 biased police reports. No charges, no history of trouble. Can a person come back from something like this if they were never convicted of a crime?
    Last edited by KonstantinPole; 12-01-2023 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling check

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    Don't give up so easy... You haven't even applied yet. Give it a try.

Going from R-PAL to PAL makes no difference, it just removes the option of owning a restricted.

A RPAL is just a regular PAL with the restricted endorsement.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    A RPAL is just a regular PAL with the restricted endorsement.
    There's also no such thing as you don't use it you lose it. Just pay for renewal you're good.

CGN Regular
    Can’t really say how this might play out legally. With enough money and time (for lawyers) you “might” get somewhere. Is it worth it? That is up to you, wouldn’t be for me. My impression is it would be a very long expensive undertaking based on what you have stated. Some significant challenges with your history, no doubt about that. No disrespect but my experience is that “the truth” is usually somewhere between two or more versions of the same story. You have presented your side but obviously others (that were involved in all of those events) may see it differently. That will be your challenge. In society today the tendency will be to error on the side of caution, which is arguably not in your favour. Wish you all the best for sure. If nothing else take the life lessons to heart, which it seems you have.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Step One would be attempting to get a PAL. If they reject you, THEN you can go from there.

If you don't have much money, that might be the end of it. I think you can appeal the rejection, but without a lawyer I'm not sure how far that will get you.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Would be possible to make Fredom of information request to see what police have on him?

Already done the FOI

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KonstantinPole View Post
    Already done the FOI
    Have you gotten the results?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Not yet, but I know it wont be flattering. It was a bad time in my life, I handled it badly and didnt think about what I was saying ro doing as much as I should have. Someone made the point that, yes the truth is somewhere in the middle and thats a totally fair point. I was trying to defend my wife, was feeling like I had no options since he was friends with the police and letting pride get to me. It was really stupid and I am ashamed of how I handled it.

I regret the whole situation and just hoping I can move past it at some point. I mean I know of people who had criminal records and got pardons or had mental breakdowns and eventually got their lives back so I didnt think this would be so impactful considering I have no record.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast