Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Gun to Start With?

What Gun to Start With?

Hi everyone. I'm a complete shooting noob. I just filled out my PAL application today, and have never shot a gun (my first time holding one was at my CFSC). I tend to do lots of research into things I'm interested in, but am a bit lost here. I'm interested in learning to shoot for hunting, and maybe getting into target shooting, and was wondering what the best type of gun to get started with would be.

Originally I was thinking of a bolt-action centerfire in .308 or 6.5mm Creedmoor (maybe a Bergara B-14), but with the price of ammo appearing to be at least $1.50/round, that's looking expensive for learning. I know .22LR rounds are super-cheap, so as a learning gun that seems logical. It's just that you can't hunt much with a .22, so I'd definitely need a second gun for hunting. How is a shotgun as a first gun to learn shooting on? I've read reviews that the Mossberg 500 is a great shotty, and many stores offer a 3-barrel combo (28", 24", and 24" rifled) that seems to cover the gamut of uses.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Bolt action .22 LR to get accustomed to shooting. The 3 barrel shotgun combo will handle all your hunting needs.

.308 rifle/scope combo will handle anything NA can throw at it, at distances beyond a shotgun limitations, just not a Rem 770.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Either a Ruger 10/22, CZ 457 or Henry .22.

Get comfortable with those and then work your way up the ladder.
    .338 is where the fun starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Shooter View Post
    Either a Ruger 10/22, CZ 457 or Henry .22.

Get comfortable with those and then work your way up the ladder.
    Thanks. Yeah I was thinking the CZ 457 for a .22. All the reviews seem solid, and I've always liked the classic wood styling.

How much does barrel length matter in a .22? I've noticed they tend to range anywhere from 20 to 24" on the 457 series.

The 10/22 just isn't my thing. I'm sure it's fun, and I may get one eventually, but a semi doesn't have the same appeal to me as a bolt.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Using a shotgun to learn to shoot doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Lots of recoil (Unless you get a smaller gauge, which will drive ammo prices way up, which you said was a concern), and it won't really teach you to aim. Shotguns are more instinctual point shooting, and that just doesn't work for rifles. If you want to use both rifles and shotguns to hunt, you'll have to learn both styles eventually I guess, but starting on a bolt 22 makes the most sense. The skills you develop (Without developing a recoil anticipation flinch) with the 22 will translate well to the bigger game caliber guns you'll end up with soon enough. Guns are like Lays, can't stop at 1 lol.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    If you can afford a Mossberg 3 barrel combo you can afford a 12ga pump with 1 barrel AND a cheap hunting rifle.

Start with a 22lr. Then add a pump shotgun and a hunting rifle to the collection. Then add an SKS. My recommendations are Savage Mk II for the 22lr, Maverick 88/mossberg500/Remington 870 for the pump shotgun, and something used for the hunting rifle: Intersurplus has a great selection of used hunting rifles for very reasonable prices.

Cz457 is great too, better than the Savage Mk2. But more expensive. Bang for your buck the Savage is hard to beat, so I suggest it as a way to spread your budget out.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    Start with a decent 22LR, then after you decide what you want to hunt, buy a suitable rifle for that purpose. Stick with 22LR for "target shooting" unless you want to spend a lot of money on CF ammo. Most of us that are serious about CF target shooting spend a lot of money on reloading setup and supplies. Not to mention rifle and scope and other the accessories you need like bag and bipod, etc.
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria

Looks like a .22 is the way to start. Thank you all!
    Last edited by StefanGreybeard; 03-26-2024 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Start with a 22lr. My recommendations are Savage Mk II for the 22lr.

Cz457 is great too, better than the Savage Mk2. But more expensive. Bang for your buck the Savage is hard to beat, so I suggest it as a way to spread your budget out.
    Do you have any comments about the magazine issues with the Savage Mk II. Almost everywhere I look there are comments about how bad they are and that they feed poorly.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanGreybeard View Post
    Do you have any comments about the magazine issues with the Savage Mk II. Almost everywhere I look there are comments about how bad they are and that they feed poorly.
    I own 2 Mark II, one is the base model the other one is one of the heavy barrel laminate stock models, and 5 magazines I think? Haven't had any issues with them in either rifle.

I haven't heard much about feeding issues, but I HAVE heard about them breaking. They can come apart where the back sheet of metal connects to the sides. I don't think it would be super hard to fix em, but I haven't broken one yet so it's not something I've done or really looked into.
    Last edited by Suther; 03-26-2024 at 04:14 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast