Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Manitoba

Well shooting I wanted and shooting I received. I want to say a huge thank you to Greywolf and his family. They invited my family into their home, took us shooting and gave us valuable information. I haven't been on the forum long enough to know if the CGNs will all the experience get together often with the newbies. But for all of the people who go out of their way to take someone under their wing....I thank you. I had an awesome weekend. And I love my new .22. I could have done with out all the ticks though. LOL ;0)

If you keep going east past selkirk on the 44 there is a massive pit just past seddons corner

If you are referring to the one on the south side of 44, then just a word of caution there. You will find a lot of dirt bikes, quads and jeeps out there.

There is also a small pond where the locals actually baptize and perform other religious ceremonies.

Mind you, the pits cover miles of ground so you can find a spot with a great back stop.

One guy though was firing at a backstop down the length of a road; sighting in his rifle last year. A couple of us came around the corner right into his line of fire.

Again, there are tons of spots to shoot there but if it is your first time there then beware that you are sharing the massive pits with others.

Where is a good spot to go in shoot in manitoba? I mean in terms of out doors and not at a "range". I went with my uncle to a place called Sandy Lands which is about 45 minutes outside of winnipeg. It wasn't bad and I had a blast but I know there must be other places you guys shoot.

Where is a good spot to go in shoot in manitoba? I mean in terms of out doors and not at a "range". I went with my uncle to a place called Sandy Lands which is about 45 minutes outside of winnipeg. It wasn't bad and I had a blast but I know there must be other places you guys shoot.

That's pretty much where I go all the time. It's okay most days but be careful on weekends, I've been out there a few times on warm sunny days with no wind and it's been almost like a battlefield - depends how far south and how far in to the brush you go, really. There's some areas few people even bother with that has some decent open ground for shooting.

As mentioned, take 44 past Seddon's Corner and there's a gravel pit out there a lot of people use. Likewise as mentioned, it's used for mot than just shooting, so be careful!

You can also go north up past Teulon into some of those WMA's, you can find some decent mixed terrain up there that will allow for some shooting as well. Just remember to tread lightly and pack out your brass/hulls/Subway wrappers.

Other alternatives is the MWF range north of Portage La Prairie which isn't bad if you're in the northwest part of Winnipeg, but it's down a back country road and not always possible to get there, you have to call first to see if it's open for use. But $25/year for membership get you unlimited usage, non-restricted only.

There's also St. Charles range just off Saskachewan Avenue for long range stuff, Winnipeg Revolver and Pistol has rifle and pistol ranges as well as a shotgun area, Selkirk Game and Fish have a range, and I know St. Hubertus Game and Fish also have a range near Libau. It's worth it if you can find a club you like just for the safety factor.

Steinbach Game and fish association has a 100 yard range with nice benches, and is approved for restricted use (handguns 25 yard max).

Contact Don Reimer 320-9004 or Darren Penner 326-6033

Steinbach Game and fish association has a 100 yard range with nice benches, and is approved for restricted use (handguns 25 yard max).

Contact Don Reimer 320-9004 or Darren Penner 326-6033

Any pictures? How much is the membership?

thanks

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm a member of the Selkirk Game & Fish Association. Their range is only 30 min outside East Winnipeg. It's decent with a 200m rifle range and 50m handgun range. Both ranges accept restricted. Membership is pretty cheap too. Only $45 a year for standard, or $90 if you join the Selkirk Game & Fish Handgun Club Inc.

How about clay pigeon shooting? I've called one place a couple of times, but no one seems to ever answer the phone. Too many rounds going off I guess...

The pit mentioned south of Seddons corner is amazing on the right day. A buddy of mine and I went for 5 hours of 22 plinking / clay fun there, and only saw one group of dirt bikers (around hour 4 or so) - who saw us, and decided to go far away. I'm new to shotgun fun, but it was great to let some lead fly!

Allo, I'm a 21 year old student who owns 3 guns (mauser kar 98, CZ-858 and a m14 on the way) and I am really interested in starting to hunt and possible get into the tactical shooting sport and just general rifle information. I was wondering if there was anything close to saint-boniface area for a shooting range or if there is ever like a meet and great for gun owners. I was thinking of joining the revolver and pistole association but i dunno if that is my best bet for a range. I have just very very basic knowledge of firearms and I would really like to learn more. Any information and or tips would be great, thanks.

Well you are here which is a good first step for info.

In the events and gatherings there is a Manitoba section. We meet for Coffee and/or wings every once in a while and let people know when a gun show is going to happen.

i don't know what type of range would be good for you but i do know that most pistol clubs can't allow centerfire shooting because the bays aren't long enough and the backstop isn't meant for those type of rounds.

if you are going to be collecting milsurps, which is a addictive hobby I enjoy you might also want to check out Milsurp dedicated sites. CGN can usually answer 99% of your milsurp questions though.

hope that helps a bit.

father in law ended up getting a rifle for me, actually he himself a 30-06 too. Easier this way since our hunting trip is in November no chance of getting the required stuff in time.

I'm still on the lookout for a place to get my restricted.... Preferably in Winnipeg, my time off work is usually short lived...

Call Dennis at Wholesale Sports, runs courses out of his basement I believe. The Winnipeg Rifle and Pistol Club (?) in West St. P near the perimeter runs a two day course for around $150 which can include a restricted test. I challenged the test at the Firing Line club, I forget who was teaching the course but if you call there someone might know.

Hey guys, I just got my PAL, about to go buy a new target rifle and I am getting a shotgun transferred to me. I usually go back to the farm to shoot targets and gophers.

However now that I live in the city and have my own PAL, and soon my own firearms. I was wondering if anyone knows of any places near Winnipeg where I can practice some target shooting (like a gravel pit), or where I can shoot some clay pigeons (I have my own thrower)?

TIA!

Back
Top Bottom