Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Manitoba

Hi,
    I'm new here on the forum and am just recently trying to get back into firearms and shooting. I used to go shoot gophers, plinking, and such all the time when I was growing up on the farm back home but since I've been a city slicker haven't much in the last 5 years. I'm trying to find a place to take the cfsc so I can apply for my PAL but seems lots of place fill up quick. So far I've contacted the Winnipeg Pistol and Revolver Assocation but I missed getting in for there end of March course and would have to wait to try get in again for the April one. I probably could challenge the course but my girlfriend also wants to get hers so I figured it would be nice to take it together. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere else I could take the course and write the test?, preferably sooner than April haha

Contact the CPFO office on Elice. They will have a list of the instructors in Manitoba.
    I'm a small petty little man who takes pleasure in the pain and suffering of others.

CSSA Member

CDP RSO

CGN frequent flyer
    Contact the manitoba wildlife people. they usually run a course every month or two months depending on interest.
    Looking to join the Steinbach Gun range? PM for contact info.

I'd like a mentor I recently picked up a mini 14 t and could use some help with my groups, scope set-up, learning my hold overs.

Hey guys.....I just bought my new .22 today and I'm wondering if you guys could help a girl out. I'm wondering if anyone knows about target practice on crown land. Gravel pits....ect....I want to join the Selkirk game and fish but I can not wait that long to try out my new rifle. I'm in the Teulon area if anyone has any knowledge of that area. Or if anyone knows of a range that does drop in with out a membership. Thanks

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by interlakegrl View Post
    Hey guys.....I just bought my new .22 today and I'm wondering if you guys could help a girl out. I'm wondering if anyone knows about target practice on crown land. Gravel pits....ect....I want to join the Selkirk game and fish but I can not wait that long to try out my new rifle. I'm in the Teulon area if anyone has any knowledge of that area. Or if anyone knows of a range that does drop in with out a membership. Thanks
    Hi interlakegrl,
    Assuming your .22LR is non restricted you can shoot it pretty much anywhere you want out in the country if you have land, or permission to be on someone elses private land.

Just make sure you are not shooting towards a road, houses etc.. Crown land is also a great place to shoot, and you don't need permission from anyone. Gravel pits you have to be a bit more careful because they usually have equiptment in them, and are owned by a company. Last time I was shooting with a friend in a gravel pit, a guy in a truck came and talked to us and just wanted to make sure we were being responsible, because apparently people go to those places all the time and vandalize things. Because of that, I don't think we will be going back there because it would suck to have someone elses bullet holes, or other damage blamed on you.

If you are just shooting non restricted I wouldn't bother joining selkirk game and fish. Its only $50 for a membership to the rifle range but when there is more than a few people there things move kind of slow. Since its almost an hour away for you, I would save your gas money and membership money and buy ammo instead and just plink in a field outside Tuelon. That said, if you really want to join selkirk, you can just drive there and drop a check/application form for the membership in the box and keep shooting there until they mail it to you. You can find the membership form HERE

Best of luck with your new hobby.

take care

-Mike

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mikeyb's Avatar
    If I recall correctly, you should be able to take Highway 17 north past Sandridge, there's a whole lot of WMA's up there. It's all Crown land. The only problem with it is it can be a bit of a hassle since there are no benches and no range markers, but if you just want to do some plinking with old 2-liter bottles or cans or whatever it'll be just fine. I did it yesterday in fact, I just went south of Winnipeg instead. Just remember to tread lightly and bring a garbage bag to pack out the remains of your targets!

EDIT: wear your blaze orange on Crown land as well, there may be hunters out there already. Especially right now, since it's Turkey season.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 05-02-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    Mikey B

Thanks for the good info.

If you keep going east past selkirk on the 44 there is a massive pit just past seddons corner

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mikeyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randas View Post
    If you keep going east past selkirk on the 44 there is a massive pit just past seddons corner
    I noticed that pit before. Never bothered to check it out, now I might have too! I need more places to shoot :D
    Mikey B