Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Manitoba

i saw someone asking about the steinbach gun club and was hoping that someone would have some more info on it. A couple of people said they shoot there, so what's it like? I have searched all over the place and haven't been able to find any info on it. I am just south of Steinbach and it would be great to have a range so close. I am looking to shoot non-restricted. Mostly i want to practice with my .22, but i also have a 12 gauge with a rifled and a smooth barrel that i would like to shoot some clays with and also get some practice with the slugs before taking it out hunting. Any additional info anyone has on it would be great.

Hey fellow Manitoban's

I'm a 20 year old newbie that was hoping to make a few friends that could show me the ropes. I haven't taken the proper courses to obtain my firearms license yet as I'm still busy with classes however I have a growing interest in a little bit of everything, namely competitive target rifle and hunting. I'm also interested in trap/skeet shooting as well as competitive handgun.

I'd be interested in competing however I don't really know where to start. My plan right now is to wait til summer (school's out!) to take the safety course and then pick up a .22 to learn proper fundamentals. To me, it seems like it's the best way to test the water. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

At this point I'll say, no I haven't ever discharged a firearm but we all have to start somewhere right?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fugawi's Avatar

Talking

Any Winnipeg CGNers planning to get together over the Christmas holidays to swap stories and share a few beers?
    The above post is the intellectual property of the person writing under the pseudonym "fugawi" Any use or reproduction of such posts, in whole or in part, outside "www.canadiangunnutz.com" requires the express written consent of the author.

Quote Originally Posted by wpgguy View Post
    I am wanting to take an RPAL course, I'm in Winnipeg. Who does it?
    Also check the Manitoba Wildlife Federation. They might be able to give you one or two names. I met an instructor a couple years back over there to challenge my RPAL ... no fuss no muss. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Trudel View Post
    Allo, I'm a 21 year old student who owns 3 guns (mauser kar 98, CZ-858 and a m14 on the way) and I am really interested in starting to hunt and possible get into the tactical shooting sport and just general rifle information. I was wondering if there was anything close to saint-boniface area for a shooting range or if there is ever like a meet and great for gun owners. I was thinking of joining the revolver and pistole association but i dunno if that is my best bet for a range. I have just very very basic knowledge of firearms and I would really like to learn more. Any information and or tips would be great, thanks.
    Hey - I'm from St.B!!! Je peux te donner des conseils pour la chasse si tu veux. I am a member of the Selkirk Gun Club and there is alot of room over there for pistol and long guns. Otherwise - I head to Sandilands to sight in before the ungulate season. The membership is quite reasonable.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Hey another newbie. Also live/around St-B. My old highschool (Louis Riel) had a shooting range under the gym for the longest time. I just joined the selkirk gun club it's the closest.

Quote Originally Posted by xcross View Post
    Hey fellow Manitoban's

I'm a 20 year old newbie that was hoping to make a few friends that could show me the ropes. I haven't taken the proper courses to obtain my firearms license yet as I'm still busy with classes however I have a growing interest in a little bit of everything, namely competitive target rifle and hunting. I'm also interested in trap/skeet shooting as well as competitive handgun.

I'd be interested in competing however I don't really know where to start. My plan right now is to wait til summer (school's out!) to take the safety course and then pick up a .22 to learn proper fundamentals. To me, it seems like it's the best way to test the water. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

At this point I'll say, no I haven't ever discharged a firearm but we all have to start somewhere right?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

You are on the right track! Get educated, get you PAL. Choices are joining a range or heading in the wilds for some target shooting. A .22 is a good start. For handguns and competition, check h ttp://www.ipscmanitoba.ca/ for more info on the sport.
    Last edited by PrairieBoy; 02-03-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Problem with url

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieBoy View Post
    You are on the right track! Get educated, get you PAL. Choices are joining a range or heading in the wilds for some target shooting. A .22 is a good start. For handguns and competition, check h ttp://www.ipscmanitoba.ca/ for more info on the sport.
    Thanks, I actually went ahead and did my safety courses and the firearms office gave me and my references a call the past few days, I'm expecting my PAL/RPAL in the mail come mid-march.

After that I'll have to pick someone's brain about fundamentals and find a good place to get started. I've been reading whatever I can find but I doubt that'll compare to some 1 on 1 coaching with someone that's been there before.

I didn't realise I had so many neighbors here on CGN. One more to add to the list of St.B residents, I belong to Selkirk game and fish, Brandon wildlife, and the firing line gun clubs. Shoot in sandilands, la broqerie, anola, and eriksdale while not at the range.
    Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
    Hunters really are the richest men in the world. We're more closely connected to nature and we take the time to appreciate the finer things in life - including the fundamentals of life itself.

You could say we take time to smell the coffee.:D

Range Recommendations?

So my PAL/RPAL got issued and now I'm looking into joining a range/gunclub.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

I've been considering Winnipeg Revolver and Pistol association, Manitoba Provincial Rifle Association and Selkirk Game and Fish. My interests right now are with precision rifle and possibly getting into competing.
    Winnipeg's Fighting Game Community: www.chipdamage.com
    PSN: x_fallen

1911mag... twinkie.. twinkie.. cupcake... AH, THERE IT IS!