Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Manitoba

CGN Regular
    hey FYI Paul's courses might not be in st.anne. I took PAL/RPAL and hunter safety with him (excellent) and it was always at the firehall in St. Adolphe where I believe he volunteers.

IMO the best range is indeed the firing line, I am a member and it's 350.00 per year.

Hi,

I want to go to the range this summer with my brother. He lives in BC and I'm here in Winnipeg. Where should I go in Winnipeg to take a beginners course and get a license?

I have been really happy with the WRPA so far but it depends what works for you. During the winter the clubhouse is open Monday and Thursday nights 7 PM -11PM which may or may not work for you (it does for me). In summer there is a 100 meter rifle range and 25 and 50 meter pistol ranges all with covered firing points. You can use that anytime from dawn to dusk. I am really looking forward to getting the long guns out. You could shoot outside now I suppose but it is a bit to cool for me.
    The people there have been really good to me, if you ask questions and are willing to listen, they will give you pointers. I live nearby it so that that is another big plus in its favour If you go to their website at h ttp://www.mts.net/~wrpa they have a place to email to register for a your PAL and RPAL.
    Last edited by StacyH; 01-22-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added course info
    Then out spake brave Horatius,The Captain of the gate:
    ‘To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his Gods,

hi i am 19 currently attending the UofM. I live in the country but during the winter i live in the city because of school. i love hunting and shooting i have been doing it all my life. i was just curious if there is a range in side or close to the city that is open year round. that will let me shoot restricted long guns and pistols as well as shotgun and rifle. i am not new to shooting. i am just new to being a member of a club or range. any help would be grately appreciated

CGN Regular
    With regards to the large pit east of Seddons corner Go one mile east then go north aboutb200 metres and to the left (west) is where us locals shoot. Most weekends during spring and summer I am there with about four or five people, always willing to help new people appreciate the smell of cordite.

Anyone know of gravel pits to shoot west of Winnipeg?

I've been to the gravel pit at Seddons, and the pit near Balmoral, but both are long drives for me. Does anyone know of a place between Winnipeg and Portage?

I don't shoot often enough to justify paying range membership fees - I just want a place to go pop a few off from time to time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcombe View Post
    With regards to the large pit east of Seddons corner Go one mile east then go north aboutb200 metres and to the left (west) is where us locals shoot. Most weekends during spring and summer I am there with about four or five people, always willing to help new people appreciate the smell of cordite.
    That's good to know about. I have a membership at SG&F, but sometimes the range is booked. I had directions out to Mars Hill area, but they took me to the (closed) gate of a place I'd never heard of, "St. Hubertus" I believe. Since most clubs require everyone shooting to be a member, there aren't a lot of official options for taking a newbie who isn't a member.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlavoie View Post
    That's good to know about. I have a membership at SG&F, but sometimes the range is booked. I had directions out to Mars Hill area, but they took me to the (closed) gate of a place I'd never heard of, "St. Hubertus" I believe. Since most clubs require everyone shooting to be a member, there aren't a lot of official options for taking a newbie who isn't a member.
    Road 84 will take you to an opening where you can shoot at Mars Hill, but please pick up everything before you leave. Garbage and shell casings left behind is one of the complaints that are working towards getting us shut out from there.
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlypeg View Post
    Road 84 will take you to an opening where you can shoot at Mars Hill, but please pick up everything before you leave. Garbage and shell casings left behind is one of the complaints that are working towards getting us shut out from there.
    Thanks. What's the non-numeric name for 84? I thought that's what I took in, that ended at the St. Hubertus club before the S-curve which shows up on the map.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlavoie View Post
    Thanks. What's the non-numeric name for 84? I thought that's what I took in, that ended at the St. Hubertus club before the S-curve which shows up on the map.
    Not sure. It's just North of a small creek at Hwy 59. You go past some farms, then get into the woods, at the S turn you look South and see the gravel field.
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria