Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Manitoba

hey guys, im a newbie here, and am definately interested in learning in all aspects of the hobby.

anything from hunting, competition, and educating myself further in firearms. im also currently attending RRC and am becoming a machinist, so hopefully i'll be applying that to this hobby once im more knowledgeable in the areas

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grouse Man's Avatar
    For shotgunning, drop in at the Winnipeg Trap and Skeet club. It's open to the public, and they are very friendly and helpful with new shooters. Don't be the least bit apprehensive about showing up and asking for a shooting 'tour', as there are plenty of experienced shooters on hand. And you'll likely bump into a CGNer there without even knowing it. PM me if anyone wishes to give it a try.

I was wondering if theres anyone here that shoots at St. charles range?
    I'm a reservist that is trying to buy a AR type rifle. I just ordered a eagle arms lower from wolverine, and today I get a phone call for the CFC office here in winnipeg saying my MPRA membership might not be enough to purhase an AR because MPRA isnt on there "list".
    I told her that MPRA membership gives you access to St. Charles range, DND property and a restricted gun range. I felt pretty confident i was in the right so shes going to call a chief firearms officer to confirm, and phone me back next week.
    My question is, Am I right? Having just gained membership for the first time i actually havent been down there for a evening or weekend shoot. I just figured since the army shoots there and F/class competition takes place there that it would be a "valid" range. Anyway if someone can explain why Im right or why Im wrong it would be appreciated. Thanks

CGN frequent flyer PrairieMedic's Avatar
    The MB CFO may want you to join a handgun club or similar. That's how we ended up with the handgun club at Selkirk Game & Fish. There's lots of clubs in the area depending on where you live.

You're more than welcome, see http://www.selkirkgameandfish.ca

Does Selkirk allow AR's on their rifle range? If things dont go my way, I'll definately give them a shout. A 200 yrd range probably makes more sense for the kind of shooting Im going to be doing anyway.Thanks for the info!

CGN frequent flyer PrairieMedic's Avatar
    I think you will be happy with the amount of AR's we have on the range. Last weekend there was one for every bench +2.

Just fill out the membership online and mail it in. It takes about 3 weeks to get all the paperwork back to you.

CGN frequent flyer
    Is there anyone here who uses the Steinbach range or is part of the Steinbach gun club?

Turkey Hunting in Manitoba

I'm new to turkey hunting and was wondering if anyone has any ideas where someone could find some birds. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    STONYMAN

‘‘Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.’’

— Unknown

I want to get my PAL and am wondering where's a good place in the city to get training and go to classes?

CGN frequent flyer
    Aric: contact the manitoba wildlife federation. phone number is 204 633 5967. tell them you are interested in taking your firearms course. the gentleman i went through was named dale garnham. Him and his wife do the course and it will only cost 80$ which from calling around is about the cheapest. you'll be able to handle about a dozen deactivated firearms and he also teaches the restricted class as well.

hope that helps.