Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Ontario

I could learn myself and I have been looking at videos and reading. And the hunting course will help too once I take that. But still it's pretty hard for an 18 year old. I mean I have no idea where to go, how to get there (I have a purely city car). I can handle myself camping etc but there is a lot of things one needs to do to hunt. Between preperation and knowledge. It's always better to be taught things while you are doing them then to read it off a chalk board then try to put it in pratice.

Hi,
Im new to the forums and I am waiting for my test results to get stamped so I can begin the process to get my Restricted/Unrestricted license. What I wanted to know before I get licensed and purchase a handgun is peoples personal experience with owning a handgun. I am particularly interested in hearing from individuals living in the GTA. Are there really random checks on storage of your firearms? Are you really on the radar when you are on the gun registry for restricted firearms?

Thanks in advance

Im new to the forums and I am waiting for my test results to get stamped so I can begin the process to get my Restricted/Unrestricted license.

Hello,

Well I am new to the site and although I grew up on a farm I have no hunting or gun experiance. I am now 30+ years old and have 2 small kids and have been thinking about getting into shooting and hunting but really had no idea where to start.

I live in cambridge ontario and have a have been thinking about getting my pal and hunting lisence but it is some what intimidating when i am pretty sure i couldnt get a bullet in a gun. I have shot a few times but not much and not in along time.

I would like to get my PAL and likely join one of the local gun clubs (Galt, or colby, or even guelph) and maybe mess around with small game some. Anyway if there is anybody who can point me in the right direction or has any advise let me know.

thanks

Guess I'll just put it off for a while then, hopefully guns don't become illegal before then. I openly support gun ownership, parents are well aware of it and they know I shoot from time-to-time. It's not something they really approve of, but they can't really do anything about it either, but having a gun in the house is an entirely different matter all together. As for educating them, it falls on deaf ears; both of my parents grew up around guns, but unfortunately they've come to accept the liberal agenda against guns.

Back to paintball... :(

get a license anyway.No need get a gun right away. in time you may find a friend that will let you store your gun at his place. may be an option.
i know how you feet. Must admit i had the same problem. My mom is anti. I kept mine hidden. Well so i thought. My dad always knew but didnt tell cause he understood.

get a license anyway.No need get a gun right away. in time you may find a friend that will let you store your gun at his place. may be an option.
i know how you feet. Must admit i had the same problem. My mom is anti. I kept mine hidden. Well so i thought. My dad always knew but didnt tell cause he understood.

I actually found out from some ROs at Target Sports, that the list of references that I send to the RCMP doesn't have to include either of my parents. That said, I'll be doing the restricted and non-restricted PAL courses and tests in April.

Hi all,

Im pretty new to CGN, and so far enjoyed everything I have read and seen on here! I was wondering if anyone might have some insight of how long it takes to receive your PAL. I have taken and passed the coarse back in 23rSeptember of 2010, they recieved my application on the 15th of November 2010, my references have yet to be contacted, and I still have gotten any information. As of today my current application status states

Application Number: xx-#########x-xx

Application Received on: 2010/11/15

Current Status: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: An accurately completed firearms licence application normally takes about 45 days to process. Incomplete and inaccurate information can add additional processing time.

Does anyone know how much longer I may have to wait?
Thanks
nvfd13

Hi all,

Im pretty new to CGN, and so far enjoyed everything I have read and seen on here! I was wondering if anyone might have some insight of how long it takes to receive your PAL. I have taken and passed the coarse back in 23rSeptember of 2010, they recieved my application on the 15th of November 2010, my references have yet to be contacted, and I still have gotten any information. As of today my current application status states

Application Number: xx-#########x-xx

Application Received on: 2010/11/15

Current Status: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: An accurately completed firearms licence application normally takes about 45 days to process. Incomplete and inaccurate information can add additional processing time.

Does anyone know how much longer I may have to wait?
Thanks
nvfd13

That is too long. You need to follow up with a phone call. At the same time ask if they can do your interview if you haven't had it already.

Make sure to get your application number and provide it to your references so they can call in as well.

My references were contacted 2 weeks after they received my application.

Good luck.

Thanks Sicilian,
Ive also talked to a couple other guys that were in the same class and they have yet to recieve theirs too. I have also heard from a couple people that they were never interviewed and their references never got called either! Is this true or is it standard procedures that they call for interviews.

Thanks Sicilian,
Ive also talked to a couple other guys that were in the same class and they have yet to recieve theirs too. I have also heard from a couple people that they were never interviewed and their references never got called either! Is this true or is it standard procedures that they call for interviews.

just sent mine in, this is a really good read and will help speed it up significantly since you'd already been waiting forever
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464083

i was told they dont call references for non-restricted applications, only for restricteds.

This seems to be common. I think if you were applying for just your PAL (non-restricted), they'd only contact your references if there was a problem with your other information.
They didn't contact any of my references, and I didn't have to complete an interview.

CFC/CFO staff are too busy dealing with RPAL's to bother with us long-gun owners (or want-to-be owners). :p

Same here, no references called and no interview for my RPAL and it took 5 weeks from when I sent in the paperwork.

Question on Minor's permit

Hi All;
Ontario Noob with some questions on the Ontario Minor's Permit.
Back in December my son 14 and I did the Safety Course for non-restricted PAL. I had to call the Ontario CFO to get a Minors App (which they sent very quickly). When I sent all the paper work in I noticed that mine went to NB and his had to go back to Orillia to the CFO Ontario.

Is there a different procedure for "YPALs" vs regular PALs??

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, I'm a new gun owner interested in getting into service rifle or action shooting. Anyone have any recommendations for where to start?

I'm interested in feedback on the Remington Versa Max. Has anyone had the opportunity to fire one? Who carries it and whats the price range?

Almost feel that this thread could be broken into several...Southwestern ON, GTA, Eastern ON, Ottawa, North Bay, Timmins...information overload!

Myself and several good friends are new to hunting in the Kingston area and have been talking about getting some good deer hunting and possibly bear hunting mentorship. Perhaps PM me if you have any information to share? Thanks!

There are plenty of Pheasant farms that offer hunting on their own properties guys. As for Grouse, there are plenty in the Kawartha lakes area, especially i the south. Just look for the right habitat.
If you want to go even further, you can head to Kitchener Waterloo and the Omish and Meninite people raise upland birds of all kinds for you to purchase all year round, which means you can shoot them all year round. As long as you have permission on a property to release them. A good dog always helps too.

Back
Top Bottom