Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122232425262728293141 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Ontario

or GRGC

http://www.grgc.ca/

personally, I'm a member at Silverdale and I love it!

http://www.silverdalegunclub.ca/

I live in Toronto, and its totally worth the drive.

Hello,

Brand new to the sport. Went out for the first time ever last weekend. I am from Hamilton and was wondering if there is anyone around this area willing to point me in the right direction to get me into trap shooting. My income is very low as of right now due to being a student, but I will be done school at the end of April. Just wanted to see whats out there. I do not own a gun as well. Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

HI

Wanted to introduce myself. Im located in the GTA (Scarborough just moved here from Windsor last year for work). Ive signed up for my firearms course (pal and rpal) for 1st weekend of May. Looking forward to getting my license and start shooting. Looking to do target shooting and eventually do the CBQ and IPSC competitions but will focusing on learning to shoot half decent for this year.
    From searching I read the the silverdale gun club is the one to join (although that seems to be about 1.5hrs drive from me). Can anyone suggest any other good and affordable shooting ranges in the GTA? Most ive found seem to be about a $5-700 annual fee.
    I also plan on getting into casting and reloading my own ammo.
    Looking forward to meeting fellow shooters in the GTA and maybe some that will let me try out their 9mm pistols (help me decide which one to buy) or other guns.
    Also havent decided on a rifle yet (watching intently for that $1000 canadian made AR thats been talked about).
    thanks and looking forward to meeting some fellow gun nutz. If you have any advice for me, please share it.

Quote Originally Posted by sly mantis View Post
    HI

Wanted to introduce myself. Im located in the GTA (Scarborough just moved here from Windsor last year for work). Ive signed up for my firearms course (pal and rpal) for 1st weekend of May. Looking forward to getting my license and start shooting. Looking to do target shooting and eventually do the CBQ and IPSC competitions but will focusing on learning to shoot half decent for this year.
    From searching I read the the silverdale gun club is the one to join (although that seems to be about 1.5hrs drive from me). Can anyone suggest any other good and affordable shooting ranges in the GTA? Most ive found seem to be about a $5-700 annual fee.
    I also plan on getting into casting and reloading my own ammo.
    Looking forward to meeting fellow shooters in the GTA and maybe some that will let me try out their 9mm pistols (help me decide which one to buy) or other guns.
    Also havent decided on a rifle yet (watching intently for that $1000 canadian made AR thats been talked about).
    thanks and looking forward to meeting some fellow gun nutz. If you have any advice for me, please share it.
    Welcome to CGN, I am from Toronto as well, i tried out most of clubs in GTA and around and i decided to join Silverdale, its affordable 200$ a year, friendly staff and a good crowd, most range officers or people there are nice enough to let you try their 9mm, the only thing of course is the 1.5 hr drive from T.O, which i don't mind.
    Good Luck

Thanks Kal. Yeah the drive is long but from the reviews on here it sounds like the way to go. Larger facility based on their website and better membership cost (bout $250 vs $5-700 for indoor ranges in TO). Hopefully will do the course and get my Rpal soon, want to start shooting and trying out some 9mm handguns to see which fits me best.
    Should i have a club membership when i apply for my RPAL? or get the membership after?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sly mantis View Post
    Thanks Kal. Yeah the drive is long but from the reviews on here it sounds like the way to go. Larger facility based on their website and better membership cost (bout $250 vs $5-700 for indoor ranges in TO). Hopefully will do the course and get my Rpal soon, want to start shooting and trying out some 9mm handguns to see which fits me best.
    Should i have a club membership when i apply for my RPAL? or get the membership after?

Thanks
    You do not need a club membership to apply for your RPAL. Get your license first then get your club membership, and then go buy your toy, take your ATT course with the club and they will get you a five year ATT which is good for all ontario.
    You can call silverdale and talk to one of the ladies there, they have a new shooters class which will allow you to shoot and try out different guns without a license.
    Good luck

From Hamilton here, Not sure how this all works but I would love to get some hands on experience going through the steps that would be required in the CFSC and CFRSC before I challenge the tests.

Anyone on here in my area with experience and expertise enough to show me the ropes?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Neoborn

Hey all,

I've had my PAL for about a year and have a 12 ga. and No.4 Mk I. All I've done so far is a bit of skeet shooting and about 2 boxes of ammo through the enfield. I'd like to get my RPAL but would like to try some pistol shooting before commiting to getting it. I'm in the Trenton area and have been to the Lower Trent F&G club any other gun clubs/ranges in that area that you know of that have a fairly active handgun membership?

G'day icedemon glad to hear your interested in getting your RPAL. I gather your asking if anyone knows a person place or group where you might be able to watch or try restricted firearms or just handguns? Well to try one, or even a couple different restricted arms. You need to know someone who has one or a few? And will the parson allow you to try there arm out? Im sure you could go to any club and ask to watch. If you get to know a handgun owner, well you never know?
    But i do know of a quite large club in Ottawa (if your willing to travel a bit?) it's called the R.A. Centre. Its located in Nepean Ottawa. I personally am not a member to this club. So i cant really comment about there club what it's like? But i can tell you what i was told by there reception. When i called them regarding looking for skeet competition rules. By the way this is the only club Ive ever heard of! That has all kinds of different arms that they can supply for your use. Apparently they have all sorts of rifles, shotguns and also handguns. Yes you can bring your own arms, if you would like to. There facility has all the different types of ranges, that are all indoor. But If you wish to shoot there at all, whether its one day or you get a membership? whether you bring the arm, or use theirs. You half to take there own safety to course at a fee of $50 or so? Plus when you are at the range and its live. You are and all always will be, under a range officer/mentor one on one supervision. Anyway here is there link. http://www.racentre.com/raweb/E/Sports/Gun.html

Really if i were you, i would go ahead an get the RPAL license anyway. Whether you try a handgun or not. If you can see your self getting into quite a bit of handgun target shooting? Go ahead and take the course. Hope this helps you with your question.

So I completed the safety courses and exams for both non-restricted and restricted nearly a month ago, but I have yet to receive any proof of it in the mail. Who should I contact to inquire about its status? I'm in no hurry to receive my licenses, but I find it discouraging that I can't even begin the 6+ week wait for approval because I can't even send in my application in yet/
    CCFR, CSSA, NFA