Page 56 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3646484950515253545556575859606162636466 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Rob101 View Post
    Just wondering if there's anyone down in the Windsor area? I'm going to be moving the family down there with in the next month or so but I'm not sure on how things go down there as far as hunting and target shooting. I'm used to up north where you can drive to multiple pits and just go shoot I'm not knowledgeable on ranges or clubs.
    Just moved down to Windsor as well. I'm a member at W.A.P.C so I can bring you in as a guest if you'd like to check it out before signing up. Rifle range options here are pretty limited, although I heard a new club in Amherstburg just got approval for a 100m outdoor range.
    CSSA/CCFR/NRA

CGN Regular
    I'm in Oshawa have RPAL and so does wife but we have no where to shoot yet. New baby and elections last year prompted my wife to push for some guns in the house. So, check one off the list. I'd like to get proficient at shooting and also master hunting by the time baby grows up so it can be passed to the next generation like it was NOT for me.

Not to sound like I'm looking for a date but I'm seeking some local mentorship that will put up with my stupid questions and understands I don't have a lot of free time.

Located in Newmarket, currently shooting on private land owned by my girlfriends family in mount Albert area which is over 100 acres. Recently purchased a .308 for some big game hunting next year and now looking for a place to shoot it as the bylaw here only allows up to .270. Either crown land, private property or even a gun club. Going to be going to silverdale in the next few months if anyone needs someone to tag along with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanrb View Post
    Located in Newmarket, currently shooting on private land owned by my girlfriends family in mount Albert area which is over 100 acres. Recently purchased a .308 for some big game hunting next year and now looking for a place to shoot it as the bylaw here only allows up to .270. Either crown land, private property or even a gun club. Going to be going to silverdale in the next few months if anyone needs someone to tag along with.
    Hi Jordan,

I live in Aurora, also have a .308 I'm looking to fire. My understanding is that those bylaws pertain to hunting specifically, though I could be wrong. In any event if you find/found a place to try your .308 I'd love to tag along - willing to contribute some rounds to the effort!

Cheers,

Andrew

Is anyone here a member at Burlington Range? I am on waitlist but Ive never actually been to the location..hoping some member(s) wouldn't mind showing a newbie around?

background: Ive had my PAL/RPAL since 2009, but only acquired my first firearm (a .22 S&W Victory) August 2016... Im hoping to either get into bullseye or IPSC

Hi guys,
    Just picked up a .270 and I'm in King, let's make a day of it!

Hi guys,
    Just picked up a .270 and I'm in King, let's make a day of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Elurinion View Post
    tl;dr: Newbie (sport-shooter aspirant) apartment dweller looking for insight into legal, safe, and theft-deterring storage solution(s).

Long-winded version
    Couldn't find anything else posted on this topic; so here goes...

In a perfect world, in order to make my home and valuables prohibitively unpalatable to would-be thieves, I'd be a home owner, with a gun safe bolted to the concrete of my basement, inside of an enclosed room accessible through an inconspicuously camouflaged doorway.

(Well actually, in a truly perfect world, theft and violent crime wouldn't exist to begin with; but I digress.)

In the real world...
    1. I rent a reasonably sized 1-bedroom apartment on the bottom floor of a 6-plex.
    2. The neighborhood is increasingly gentrified area of Toronto.
    3. Violent crime is low here, with occasional (usually opportunistic, non-confrontational) property theft the only real possible cause for any concern -- in the sense of a random break-in while I'm away and the need to prevent them also stealing the firearms, ammo, and a few other high-value items.
    4. I live in a city and province whose populace, sadly, has been brainwashed to the point that even legitimate sport use of firearms seems to have been vehemently stigmatized
    5. Because of 4, I fear that I'm unlikely to get landlord approval to bolt anything to the floor. Never tried, never asked, not sure how to proceed.

As such, I am struggling to figure out how I can store a:
    • single handgun (+ammo)
    • bullion, jewellery, and other high-value/sentimental items

in such a way as to not only satisfy the RCMP's legal requirements, but exceed them; while also making theft of the contained items highly difficult and unlikely.

Surely I'm not the only apartment-dwelling sport-shooter (whether aspiring or actual) out there; so... thoughts?
    *and; to be clear: I currently do not own any firearms; nor am I licensed to (yet). I am merely researching at this point.
    I would suggest purchasing one of the more expensive safes. They are VERY heavy and are extremely difficult to move without 2 people and a handcart. This makes them good for random non targeted burglary prevention. They do not need to be bolted due to the weight, and they are fire proof. I would not advise asking permission to store ammo as it is classified as an explosive and most lease agreements state you are not aloud to store explosives in your unit. Firearms themselves are fine though.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Elurinion View Post
    tl;dr: Newbie (sport-shooter aspirant) apartment dweller looking for insight into legal, safe, and theft-deterring storage solution(s).

Long-winded version
    Couldn't find anything else posted on this topic; so here goes...

In a perfect world, in order to make my home and valuables prohibitively unpalatable to would-be thieves, I'd be a home owner, with a gun safe bolted to the concrete of my basement, inside of an enclosed room accessible through an inconspicuously camouflaged doorway.

(Well actually, in a truly perfect world, theft and violent crime wouldn't exist to begin with; but I digress.)

In the real world...
    1. I rent a reasonably sized 1-bedroom apartment on the bottom floor of a 6-plex.
    2. The neighborhood is increasingly gentrified area of Toronto.
    3. Violent crime is low here, with occasional (usually opportunistic, non-confrontational) property theft the only real possible cause for any concern -- in the sense of a random break-in while I'm away and the need to prevent them also stealing the firearms, ammo, and a few other high-value items.
    4. I live in a city and province whose populace, sadly, has been brainwashed to the point that even legitimate sport use of firearms seems to have been vehemently stigmatized
    5. Because of 4, I fear that I'm unlikely to get landlord approval to bolt anything to the floor. Never tried, never asked, not sure how to proceed.

As such, I am struggling to figure out how I can store a:
    • single handgun (+ammo)
    • bullion, jewellery, and other high-value/sentimental items

in such a way as to not only satisfy the RCMP's legal requirements, but exceed them; while also making theft of the contained items highly difficult and unlikely.

Surely I'm not the only apartment-dwelling sport-shooter (whether aspiring or actual) out there; so... thoughts?
    *and; to be clear: I currently do not own any firearms; nor am I licensed to (yet). I am merely researching at this point.
    Keep your bullion, expensive jewellery and items in a safe deposit box at your bank. It is only around $60 a year.
    Anything you store at your residence can be stolen.
    No home safe can be 100% secured.
    You can spend $4000-5000 on a 1000lbs safe and a determined thief will still get in.

Hello everyone my name's Al and I'm new to this forum as well as new to guns in general. Ive recently got my non restricted license and will soon be going for my restricted. Ive started a little collection so far which consists of 2 12 gauge shotguns. A 30-06. .308 as well as a little.22 which I want to use to eventually teach my children to properly and safely use firearms. I live in Toronto (Brampton to be exact) and have been searching long and hard to find a range that I can use on weekends to go shooting at. But I've had no such luck. I was hoping some people: on the forum here could point me in the right direction as to where I can shoot on weekends, as I'm too busy during the week with work to go shooting. I don't mind traveling a bit but I want to avoid as much driving as possible considering I'm a truck driver and do enough of that during the week for work. I'm also looking for some people in the area who maybe in the future would consider letting me shoot on their property if they own any that's setup to shoot on. I'm also willing to pay them. Any help in this area would be awesome and greatly appreciated. As I said before I'm new to all of this so any help from anyone is a big help. Thanks again. I hope to hear back from people soon. My best regards

Al