Thread: First Firearm questions

First Firearm questions

Hello Everyone!

looking for some advice seems like the right spot to ask.

I am a couple weeks out from getting my pal in hand and iv really started to look at what i wanna pick up first. I am not really interested in 22LR, shot lots of it with buddies and i get its cheap i just don't feel that's what i want first, maybe a nice 2nd purchase.

What i have in my head right now.

-Fx9 (shot lots of rounds through one and love the design and the fact you can shoot all day and not be sore also 9mm is pretty cheap)
    -Wk180 G2 (never shot this one but have buddies that own them they love em but they seem to be hit or miss? is this still the case??)
    -SKS (i know they are expensive compared to 2-3 years ago but cant do anything about it, cheapest option of the list and could put a lot of rounds through it for practice)
    -P10F (this one is up in the air because i am looking to moving temporally out of province, not to sure of how that works or if this is even possible)

Mostly will be doing target shooting with friends at clubs and such but some have suggested that i get a "all purpose" gun to try hunting out as iv never hunted before either

I am new to the sport so don't hate if the list doesn't make a lot of sense, i know that Taccom was recent and some new stuff is coming to market.

Hope i can get some insight and maybe some suggestions, Thanks ahead everyone!

CGN Regular
    From your list, SKS is really the only one that ticks all your boxes.
    (I know you 'can' hunt with an FX9 but not something I would do).

I ain't buyin it, socks, I know you had your guns stolen from your cabin before, and decided the rest of us were as irresponsible as you! https://thegunblog.ca/2019/10/02/tru...e-once-mocked/

Bad jokes aside, first gun is a tough choice. It's the one you will always remember, probably more than any of your much fancier and expensive cool stuff down the line.

Fx9 might be cool since by many accounts it is as solid a 9 PCC as they come. Ban will probably pass by the time the PAL arrives, but if you've got the PAL# already, get the handgun. Nothing like your first gun becoming unobtainium.
    Oh hello. Are you picking up your brass?

Chineses Sks was my first purchase and I highly recommend. cartridge is versatile and *relatively* cheap, (as is the rifle), they’re fun to shoot, reliable, easy to clean, tons of spare parts if ever.
    And as someone said above, if you have your rpal, get on the handgun ASAP! P10f will be my first restricted too… if I ever receive it ffs
    Good luck

I recommend against getting a sks as your first gun, I have owned 3 skses and here's what I found:

Pros:
    • Inexpensive (is it still the case tho? for $500+ you can get an entry-level gun from trustworthy brands that has warranty, which a sks does not)

• Cheap surplus ammo available (the gun will rust if you don't remember to clean it the same day, and indoor ranges won't let you shoot them anyway)

• Reliable (depends on who made it or how it was refurbished, one of my refurbished Russian sks will occasionally surprise me with a two-round burst, and the 5-round limiter pin fell off after a few range trips so it became a prohibited device)

Cons:
    • Heavy and terrible ergonomics

• Removing cosmoline is not fun

• Limited optics/accessories mounting options

• Does not take "pistol mags"

• Ordering from online? Prepared to get cracked stock and pitted barrel that is advertised as "Grade A"

I recommend getting a FX9 first, its light-weight, easily customizable, has good ergonomics, 9mm is relatively cheap and plentiful, and most pistol ranges will let you shoot it because it shoots pistol rounds. It is not suited for hunting, but I doubt this will be your only gun anyway.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Do what you want to do; buy what you want to buy. Lots of these first gun threads and 99% of the posters don't want advice. New guy joined our club, his first (only) guns are a beater SKS (can't hunt with it here in Southern Ontario) and a Tokarev; can't hit anything with either. Can't compete in any handgun sports with the Tok; he's losing interest fast, despite us trying to help him.
    Omne ferrum ignitum malleo!

Quote Originally Posted by cattabliss View Post
    I ain't buyin it, socks, I know you had your guns stolen from your cabin before, and decided the rest of us were as irresponsible as you! https://thegunblog.ca/2019/10/02/tru...e-once-mocked/

Bad jokes aside, first gun is a tough choice. It's the one you will always remember, probably more than any of your much fancier and expensive cool stuff down the line.

Fx9 might be cool since by many accounts it is as solid a 9 PCC as they come. Ban will probably pass by the time the PAL arrives, but if you've got the PAL# already, get the handgun. Nothing like your first gun becoming unobtainium.
    yeah im thinking i might if i can squeeze it enough pick up a handgun if i can as well as a fx9 for now. like people are saying yeah most likely wont be be only guns if i want to try hunting buy something bigger.