Possible Safety concern

Sorry to ask slightly off-topic question, but what is the problem with the primers puncturing as such?

I ask because I recently purchased a brand new S&W Performance Center revolver (from my local range store) that seems to be doing the same to some of the 9mm shells fired.

The range officer noticed a few of the "blackened" primers on my spent moon-clips when he came in to take a closer look at the addition to my collection.

On the one hand, if there is a safety issue, it needs to be addressed. On the other hand, I think I would be the first to NOT have to worry about light primer strikes.

Side note: S&W quality has really gone down the drain. The least the PC could do is clean up any grit out of the revolvers after working on them before shipping their work out. Lube would also go a long way to prevent rust on Stainless goods.

You ask, "What is the problem?" Multiple bolt faces have burned out gouges around the firing pin - bolt face is ruined - needs to be replaced or "sleeved" - from leaking primers. It probably starts there. A correct primer, correctly fitting and shaped firing pin, correct protrusion, correct rest of it, do NOT leak gases and flame backwards. That is where that "black" is coming from. You have been blessed with multiple warnings by your gear - something is NOT correct. Totally up to you to find it and correct it, or ignore it - all your call.

Might not even be your gun - many posts mention an issue with Winchester large rifle primers of certain production that repeatedly cracked out and released flame - from posters on CGN it sounds like many firearms were repaired at Winchester's expense, but I suppose a number of them were not. So, the ammo that you are using might be the actual issue? No real reason to think that only Winchester was trying to save a penny per primer in production cost and went just a smidgeon too far.

Probably gets into a circle of ammo maker blaming gun maker who blames ammo maker with you, the customer, in the middle, and your "stuff" gone for months, so "experts" can prove that they were correct and other guy was "wrong". My admittedly very limited experience with this is that the retailer will quickly get themselves out of that "blame loop", by dumping everything on the gun maker's warranty centre to sort out. I notice many things that I buy these days come with an explicit notice to NOT contact the retailer with any problems, but to contact a warranty centre.

Last edited:
You ask, "What is the problem?" Multiple bolt faces have burned out gouges around the firing pin - bolt face is ruined - needs to be replaced or "sleeved" - from leaking primers. It probably starts there. A correct primer, correctly fitting and shaped firing pin, correct protrusion, correct rest of it, do NOT leak gases and flame backwards. That is where that "black" is coming from. You have been blessed with multiple warnings by your gear - something is NOT correct. Totally up to you to find it and correct it, or ignore it - all your call.

Might not even be your gun - many posts mention an issue with Winchester large rifle primers of certain production that repeatedly cracked out and released flame - from posters on CGN it sounds like many firearms were repaired at Winchester's expense, but I suppose a number of them were not. So, the ammo that you are getting the issues with might be the actual issue? No real reason to think that only Winchester was trying to save a penny per primer in production cost and went just a smidgeon too far.

Probably gets into a circle of ammo maker blaming gun maker who blames ammo maker with you, the customer, in the middle, and your "stuff" gone for months, so "experts" can prove that they were correct and other guy was "wrong". My admittedly very limited experience with this is that the retailer will quickly get themselves out of that "blame loop", by dumping everything on the gun maker's warranty centre to sort out. I notice many things that I buy these days come with an explicit notice to NOT contact the retailer with any problems, but to contact a warranty centre.

His ammunition fired were Blaser in 22 Hornet and Federal shotshells. So niether were Winchester.
It was be one hell of coincidence both Blaser and Federal ammo were faulty.
Don't you think??

His ammunition fired were Blaser in 22 Hornet and Federal shotshells. So niether were Winchester.
Don't you think??

Blazer ammo is .357 Magnum***

Shotgun ammo that had the issues was 4 shells of Remington 3" 00 buck and 1 shell of Challanger 2 1/2" #6

Don't you think??

Yes, a virtually ludicrous coincidence - I was replying to the Post #22 just before mine, which was really not what the OP's situation was - the post that I replied to, was firing 9mm in a new-to-him revolver, and getting some "black" on some primers/cases...

Yes, a virtually ludicrous coincidence - I was replying to the Post #22 just before mine, which was really not what the OP's situation was - the post that I replied to, was firing 9mm in a new-to-him revolver, and getting some "black" on some primers/cases...

Correction in case there was confusion: S&W 929 revolver was BRAND NEW from the factory (not just new to me).

Ammo used was Remington UMC 9mm (115gr FMJ) that I had purchased last year for use in a 9mm carbine. I never noticed anything like that on my brass when I emptied my brass catcher. I will check my jar of spent casings to confirm the rifle didn't also get the same burnt primers out of the carbine.

I'd say the firing pin hole is too big. The primers still have their outer radius on the edge and don't appear to be flattened from over-pressure. The primers are flowing into the firing pin hole. Just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom