Why it's so important to clean your guns!

Tesro Inc

CGN frequent flyer
Business Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
A well maintained gun is a must for every gun owner.
There are many reasons why you should keep them in tip top shape.

Read our latest blog post for our top reasons why.
server (1).jpg
We would love to hear from you as well:

--> What is most important for you in your cleaning routine?
--> What is your cleaning routine?

Attachments

• server (1).jpg
    server (1).jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 4,359
Last edited:
I find it is very important to put on a movie in which the gun you are cleaning is featured, in the background. My go tos: Enemy at the Gates for my Mosin, Blackhawk down for the M1A, 13hrs Benghazi for the AR platforms.

I rub and oil the action.. barrel I leave alone or run a snake here and there. Unless corrosive... Over cleaning can damage, it’s a tool after all :)

I know a fellow that never cleans his guns. His motto “ every time I pull the trigger the bullet travelling down the barrel pushes out the crud. “

I suppose you could argue the other way too. If I never clean my gun, I will never discover the rust, so it is like its not there.

If you have an accurate gun and appreciate that fact and want to keep it that way, then clean it after shooting it.

I don't mean a detail strip and clean either. I laugh at those who talk about doing such things after every shooting session.

Nor do I mean scrubbing a bore with a brush till your arm is tired. No, I am referring to a simple patch with powder solvent on it run down the bore followed by a couple dry patches and then a patch with some oil on it so it leaves the bore "wet" for storage. Just be sure to run a dry patch through it before shooting the next time to remove oil residue.

It is imperative that you remove all powder residue from the bore as it attracts moisture and this will lead to corrosion. Even non corrosive ammo leaves behind powder residue that will ultimately lead to corrosion in the bore if left in place.

I can show you a 22 rimfire pistol I own with a dark spot in the bore to prove this point, and no it was not me who was responsible for that. It came that way from the previous owner. Still shoots fairly well until that spot of pitting starts to strip too much lead from bullets and creates a big lead streak in the bore.

I also have one military rifle that I purchased with a "frosted" bore that shoots ok but is a b**** to clean free of powder residue after shooting as that rough texture seems to hold onto the powder and dirt. It would have been so much simpler to just keep it clean so that never happened.

A well maintained gun is a must for every gun owner.
There are many reasons why you should keep them in tip top shape.

Read our latest blog post for our top reasons why.
View attachment 195531
We would love to hear from you as well:

--> What is most important for you in your cleaning routine?
--> What is your cleaning routine?

FYI your SIG trigger bar spring is assemble wrong, it should be in the notch in front/bottom of where the spray nozzle is pointing.

Ballistol is fantastic stuff btw :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom