Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Orders for the Tikka Arctic .308 Win! Get yours now!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Rangers are hard on their rifles because they go smashing around the arctic on skidoos and polar bears.
    Too funny, a Ranger smashing around on a polar bear? As if his/her snow machine isn't thrilling enough! Crazy comment.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lupothebutcher View Post
    They definitely use their guns until there's nothing left, I have seen guns that are literally held together by shoe-strings and structural rust.... Spending the amount of money that we are on these new rifles, what with the R&D and final costs is a HUGE waste on money.
    Agreed. Too bad the Rangers didn't get the Ruger Scout. About a third the price for a reliable, sturdy .308 rifle with a detachable box mag and iron sights. Might not be as accurate, but spending to get .75 MOA vs 1.5 MOA is only worth it if you're equipping very very talented marksmen. And the Rangers I've all met were good, but not great shots.

As an aside Wolverine carries the Ruger Gunsite Scout for any folks who can't afford the Tikka Arctic.

BANNED
    I live in the arctic and there are definitely rangers here; most are older than god and clearly just in it for the pay cheque. They parade maybe once a month, go on the occasional tax-payer funded trip south and show the regular forces how to build an igloo once a year or so. They are not so much hard on guns as just indifferent, they don't clean them, leave them wet and let them rust. Polar bears are a pretty minor consideration; I doubt that a ranger has ever shot one because it was a threat, when they see a polar bear, they just see dollar signs. They definitely use their guns until there's nothing left, I have seen guns that are literally held together by shoe-strings and structural rust.... Spending the amount of money that we are on these new rifles, what with the R&D and final costs is a HUGE waste on money.
    Maybe I misspoke... I'm from BC as are all of the rangers I know. I don't get the obsession with rangers and polar bears.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    Very well said.
    I live in the arctic and there are definitely rangers here; most are older than god and clearly just in it for the pay cheque. They parade maybe once a month, go on the occasional tax-payer funded trip south and show the regular forces how to build an igloo once a year or so. They are not so much hard on guns as just indifferent, they don't clean them, leave them wet and let them rust. Polar bears are a pretty minor consideration; I doubt that a ranger has ever shot one because it was a threat, when they see a polar bear, they just see dollar signs. They definitely use their guns until there's nothing left, I have seen guns that are literally held together by shoe-strings and structural rust.... Spending the amount of money that we are on these new rifles, what with the R&D and final costs is a HUGE waste on money.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    For the rangers Why not the CTR for half the price.

Luv that orange stock but not sure would want to carry around the extra weight.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
    For the rangers Why not the CTR for half the price.

Luv that orange stock but not sure would want to carry around the extra weight.
    The Tikka-made T3 CTR isn't the rifle the rangers are getting. Colt Canada is making a modified CTR under license for the Rangers. The Tikka T3 Arctic is a clone done by Tikka of that modified licensed production version of the CTR. Confused yet? The media certainly is. I personally don't see any real added value to justify an extra $1000 for this civilian clone though.
    As for the stock, I'm with you regarding the weight, but I'm not sure the standard synthetic stock would fair well in northern Canadian winters, especially with the rugged use it is expected to be able to endure.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    The key requirement is the iron sights. The ctr can be capable but it doesn't have them. But the sights can be added for $300-$400. Not $1500.

The sights and that stock may put the price up $1000 or so ove the regular ctr price ? I love this gun ! Have been looking at the ctr for a bit now but want those iron sights on the Arctic for back up and put a nice scope on it. Will go handle one when they get in close to me.

The receiver and barrel have to be different for sure than CTR. Well the stainless barrel would also be more $$ than CTR's as well. If anyone has more info on difference that would be great.

CGN Regular
    Wolverine sells the CZ 557 Ranger Rifle as well. Cool rifle with iron sights and a slotted rail supplied in a good position for a QD scope. Set the iron sights for 50m and your scope for 100m, and switch between the 2 in 30 seconds. Very nice shooting rifle. Not light, or stainless, but I don't see it leaving my safe anytime soon. Or ever for that matter.

Woofer. I've been researching the CZ 550 and 557 along with some Tikkas in 308 for some time now for hunting and plinking. Seems like a very good rifle at a great price. CZ doesn't guarantee accuracy out of the box. I assume you had no problem then!

Quote Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
    Wolverine sells the CZ 557 Ranger Rifle as well. Cool rifle with iron sights and a slotted rail supplied in a good position for a QD scope. Set the iron sights for 50m and your scope for 100m, and switch between the 2 in 30 seconds. Very nice shooting rifle. Not light, or stainless, but I don't see it leaving my safe anytime soon. Or ever for that matter.
    Memberships: CSSA & OFAH

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."

"Best Government I know of is the .45-70 Government!"