Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any demand for an ALL Canadian made bolt action precision rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDave View Post
    The price is too high - you will never see any sort of volume at $5500 plus HST.
    I wouldn't say the price is to high for the calibre of rifle we are talking about here. OP is after all Canadian made super rifle and is marketing it as such. The problem with the rifle is that no matter the cost it does not have the history of quality that its competitors have. I trust that the rifle will go bang when I pull the trigger but will it compare to the McMillan A5?

What OP really needs to do with this rifle is get in on the nationals or a rifle team willing to go international with it. International teams swore for the longest time said Barret 50s were garbage because they were not on the International scene. Reality was they were not allowed out of the country so rifle teams did not have access to them.

Alberta Tactical is not new to the business world so I do not say these things to suggest they are incapable of gauging the business risk to under take this challenge. Simply that new firearm manufactures will run into image issues because they are just unknown.

Looking at the Rem700 platform that costs anywhere from $500-5000 pending feature choices and options new! Every one of those rifles has the history of the 700's reliability even if there are rifles with the same options and cheaper.

That all said being so close to the manufacturing of this rifle puts OP to have a higher return. So if they're making 1k on each unit it only takes 10 rifle sales which would be a significantly small fraction of those looking for something that expensive in Canada.

sorry a head of time for grammar, smart phones suck to type on.

CGN Regular
    I'm sure I will get flamed for this but........I just had my full custom built on a Pierce action, Broughton Barrel, McMillian Stock, with a brake and it shoots a 1/2 minute for $3,500. Why would the CDN components or the ATRS brand drive the price up another 2k? I know of a few guys getting builds done around here for that mid 3k mark getting great rifles and that is importing everything. I would think getting everything local without having to pay the imports on everything should reduce the price. Especially when you don't have the big names and reputations like Mcmillian and Krieger etc. I assume you are talking Gaillard? Not to knock the ATRS quality, almost everything I have heard about ATRS has been positive, I just don't understand how there is such a huge differential in the prices when all the components are the same. Flame On!!

CGN Regular
    And I do agree...Not comparable to the Savage or Tikka. This is not your standard hunting rifle market. Needs to be compared separately.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schecter 81 View Post
    I'm sure I will get flamed for this but........I just had my full custom built on a Pierce action, Broughton Barrel, McMillian Stock, with a brake and it shoots a 1/2 minute for $3,500. Why would the CDN components or the ATRS brand drive the price up another 2k? I know of a few guys getting builds done around here for that mid 3k mark getting great rifles and that is importing everything. I would think getting everything local without having to pay the imports on everything should reduce the price. Especially when you don't have the big names and reputations like Mcmillian and Krieger etc. I assume you are talking Gaillard? Not to knock the ATRS quality, almost everything I have heard about ATRS has been positive, I just don't understand how there is such a huge differential in the prices when all the components are the same. Flame On!!
    The cost of labor in Canada is double or more than what it is in the USA. The overhead costs are also higher. Many states will subsidize manufacturers in a bid to increase the employment rates. This is why so many gun related manufacturers are located in Montana, Idaho, North Dakota and Texas.

On the pricing of the stock it will be comparable to what a LANDED McMillan is.

Nope not Gaillard.

It is also an unfair comparison to compare our actions to the Pierce. Our actions are made of a superior grade (416R) stainless steel, our bolts are true 1 piece with a coned nose, our action comes with a stainless steel picatinny rail, recoil lug, tactical type bolt knob and are all salt bath nitrided for maximum durability, rather than merely CeraKoted. CeraKote is a great product and is a WAAAAAY cheaper way to finish an action, but is not even in the same galaxy for durability and prevention of wear.
    I could not find whether the Pierce is a 1 piece bolt or not from their website.

Also with the sheer difference in market size the US has a distinct advantage of volume, something Canada will never have. Anytime you can make much more of something the economies of scale enter into the equation.

The closest direct comparison would be the Dakota Arms rifles.

Sometimes understanding the differences and why there is a disparity on price helps.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Love the idea, can't do the price. Oh Canada
    .270 Winchester... Perfecting the .30-06 since 1925

There would definitely be a market depending on price and quality.

Do not forget Canada's market is small 3million + or - PAL holders, to sell volume and for the investment to make sense there has to be an affordable option as well as a high quality option.

I would definitely buy a rifle just because it is made in Canada but price has to be reasonable

مسلم مؤمن

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    I would rather see NR short 12 "or 14 " barrel rifle with a nice lightweight stock in 7.62x39 ,300 blackout ,223 extra extra
    There are lots of good precision rifle already on the market but not much for NR-SBR
    Right now just mares leg and sum 22 and shotguns
    Make a bear rifle with a 12" barrel I would buy one
    Last edited by carverk; 11-01-2013 at 07:34 PM.

CGN Regular
    Thanks Rick, I appreciate some of the specifics when it comes to the differences. It really comes to selling the features and benefits to justify the price difference. For some reason though when I had you guys quote me on my build with a Stiller and all the same components (Krieger not Broughton) You guys were still low 5k. Is there a significant difference in you smithing techniques that set your builds apart? FYI the Pierce is a two piece bolt but did come with the recoil lug and stainless rail. What is the benefit of a coned bolt?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    Any pictures or price on this yet?

I definitely support the idea, I love seeing stuff made in Canada and want to support local manufacturers. Price is way out of my league though. Would be nice if there could be a more affordable option for the average joe in addition to the top end rifle. Just my 2 cents..