Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge did not go off

Super GunNutz

Cartridge did not go off

Not sure where this should go but figured Newbie section might be good.

I had 3 out of 30 cartridges not go off today. Rem 223, Commercial loads. 2 Winchesters and one American Eagle..? Can't remember what it is called. Hangfire?

Howa 1500 Rifle, relatively new, maybe 100 bullets through it.

I did read somewhere not to be too quick to open the bolt after this happens, forgot the first time but remembered the next two. I did reload one into the chamber and tried again, but no bang.

Wondering if it is a problem with the ammo or rifle? Ammo was purchased about a year ago.

What do I do with these cartridges now? I have the equipment to reload and a bullet puller, but have not ventured into reloading yet, not that I care about reloading the brass. I am wondering how to safely disable the cartridges. Others worked fine before and after these three. These three were not in a row. The primer does have a dent in it so impact from the pin was made.

Suggestions?

My first thought is it's the gun. Lite primer hits.
    1 fail to fire. Ok. 3... look at the gun. It happens. Might be a lite spring.
    The right, always trumph!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BattleRife's Avatar
    Three misfires out of 30 is astronomically unlikely to be an ammo problem. It is therefore almost certainly a gun problem.

You could pull the bullets, but you would still have to dispose of the powder and primers. Building a bonfire and dumping the powder in, then tossing the primers in and standing back (or wearing safety glasses) will do the trick.

For that matter, you could just toss the whole rounds in same bonfire, again stand well back or wear safety glasses, they tend to throw little bits around when they go off.
    --BattleRife

Cold weather with to much oil,grease on firing pin spring could be the culprit.
    Causing a lite firing pin strike

What was the temperature? If it was cold,any grease or oil in the bolt will start to get heavier as time goes on, and slow down your firing pin strike .

Super GunNutz
    I did note some oil on the bolt today. I am or was probably over zealous on "cleaning". I have had it for a year but hardly used it.

Temp today was one of the warmer ones lately. We are shooting outside cause COVID has the clubhouse closed. The temp at that time was about -7C. I tried to keep everything warm as long as possible. The gun was probably outside for about 45 minutes before the first one failed, maybe even less time. I would not think those temps should affect the rifle though, unless, as you say, excessive lube.

I will try cleaning the lube from the bolt and look for something, but with my inexperience, doubt I will see anything. I could also email Legacy Sports to ask about the rifle too. (I will do that)

Is there a measurement I can take on the firing pin? I have mics and calipers.

Is trying to fire them in someone else's rifle an option or now that the primer is dented, it probably won't work?

Thanks for the input. Is pulling the bullet with an impact puller (hammer like) safe to remove the bullet and powder? At least the disassembled parts would be less dangerous than a charged cartridge laying around. I could pour a little trail of powder and light it, like in the cartoons. Although, it seldom went well for Wile E Coyote, iirc..... ;-)

Thanks for the input.

Uber Super GunNutz
    I do not think minus 7 C is "cold" - in many parts of Canada, hunting rifles fire at minus 40 C or colder - but I think previous posters were talking about grease inside the bolt - around the firing pin spring and within the bolt body bore - you mostly have to dis assemble the bolt to see that and clean it. I had a store bought new Rem 783 for my Grandson - rifle now two years old - he and his Dad took it out with a box of 50 rounds - two did not fire - they say they tried to re-fire each at least a couple times - no go - I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder - both cases (with the dented primers only) then fired in my own Ruger 77 rifle. So, we ordered and replaced the firing pin spring for the Rem 783 - actually had to shorten springs for Remington 700 - and bought spares, if it happens again. A CGN poster advises he changes firing pin spring at start of every competition season in his Rem 783's. Is a "low cost" gun - so expected that springs, etc. will be just barely "good enough" to work for a while. I have no idea how similar or different to a Howa 1500 - but would be a good first check.

I have never used an inertial puller to pull bullets from misfired rounds - that may work fine - I do not know - I pulled these two with an RCBS collet puller. To dispose of powder - I have a 12" x 24" x 3/8" plate that I just spread out powder thinly - then ignite with a propane torch - it sizzles, that is about it. For primers, I have small jar with cap, partially filled with motor oil - I just drop the not-to-be-used primers into that - the jar lives on my workbench - somewheres ...

If you are using 223 Rem - maybe look at military protrusion specs - I suspect that .050" or .055" is about correct. Your firing pin tip should be a hemisphere - half a ball - not pointy, not flat ended. I have some used firing pins here that appeared to have "crystallized", I think - chunks have fallen off and the "tip" is no longer a round thing, under a magnify glass. Modern made guns might be different - what I stated is from last century's military guns.
    Last edited by Potashminer; 01-17-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnRich View Post
    I did note some oil on the bolt today. I am or was probably over zealous on "cleaning".
    It is not oil "on" the bolt. Folks above were meaning that its is potentially about grease and maybe some debris inside the bolt gumming things up. Sometimes new rifles are shipped with alot of grease packed inside the bolt body and it needs to be removed. Its also good to clean inside periodically anyways, for this very reason of something impinging on the firing pin.

Easy to check on the Howa 1500. Bolt disassembles easily (if in doubt, see YouTube videos), to remove the firing pin assembly. Spray it down with a degreaser making sure the spring is clear of any gunk and is clean, it does not need to be dissembled any further. It only needs a very light oil coating, essentially operating "dry". Clean the inside of the bolt body with rod and patches, and pay special attention to getting any gunk out of the firing pin hole. Again the inside of the bolt body should operate "dry", only a light coating of oil with a patch is needed inside.

My guess is temperature related. How long was the rifle and ammo out in the cold? .lncluding drive time if in the trunk etc. Try again with the rifle and ammo kept warm and shoot quickly at the range.

Super GunNutz
    Great input guys! Thanks! I agree with Potashminer that relatively speaking, the temperature should not have been too cold except perhaps to affect, as many have suggested, excessive grease in the bolt. It was in a warm truck to the range and left there till the targets were set up, etc. I will take a good look at the bolt. I have also emailed Legacy tech support so hopefully, they will get back to me with suggestions or other things to check. I will report back.

Thanks

Cheers,

Shawn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast