Page 119 of 123 FirstFirst ... 99109111112113114115116117118119120121122123 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1228

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

http://www.accuracy-tech.com/long-ra...ith-semi-auto/

Decent read on load selection for gas operated 6.5 and shooting techniques for semi auto accuracy
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post

Decent read on load selection for gas operated 6.5 and shooting techniques for semi auto accuracy
    Speaking from my own experience with Semi-Auto precision rifles I would agree 100% with the article. The major flaw to finding accuracy that everybody overlooks is the shooter himself. The DI rifle is totally different then a bolt gun (many fluff this off as pure folly) with all of the items the author points out as the DI gun will outperform the average inexperienced shooter by a mile. Practice...Practice and understanding how the action can influence the accuracy is very important. Just having proper consistent positioning and a sound controlled hold on a DI rifle can alter the flight of a projectile from shot to shot.

Great post as this may be some of the issues experienced with a number of new MV/H owners.
    CCFR — CSSA

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar

That was a good read, thank's for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    That was a good read, thank's for sharing.
    I'm going to use the chrony with my load development after reading the article on that site about reloading for accuracy. They have a few interesting articles on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Speaking from my own experience with Semi-Auto precision rifles I would agree 100% with the article. The major flaw to finding accuracy that everybody overlooks is the shooter himself. The DI rifle is totally different then a bolt gun (many fluff this off as pure folly) with all of the items the author points out as the DI gun will outperform the average inexperienced shooter by a mile. Practice...Practice and understanding how the action can influence the accuracy is very important. Just having proper consistent positioning and a sound controlled hold on a DI rifle can alter the flight of a projectile from shot to shot.

Great post as this may be some of the issues experienced with a number of new MV/H owners.
    I have a feeling it's a bigger reason than most realize when it comes to accuracy with a semi auto.

regarding buffer weight... is a heavier buffer really required?

I also wonder if it would help me tighten my groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    I'm going to use the chrony with my load development after reading the article on that site about reloading for accuracy. They have a few interesting articles on the site.

I have a feeling it's a bigger reason than most realize when it comes to accuracy with a semi auto.
    I know for me, I came from a precision bolt action perspective and the Modern Hunter was my first precision semi-auto. I had a hell of a learning curve in the reloading side of it, and also a lot of experience to gain in shooting it.

I didn't just whip up some magical loads and have success in a day, it was frustrating and painstaking in contrast to load development on any of my bolt actions. On two separate occasions I wound up with a bullet jammed into the lands and powder all through the action because of my reloading error, one of which was 6 rounds in after driving all the way out to Rocky Mountain House... I've tried a taper crimp, roll crimp, and factory crimps and in the end I've settled on an extra step through my Redding Type S match neck bushing sizing die (after I use the small base die) with a smaller than usual bushing to get the neck tension that will keep the bullet in place with the tremendous force the AR10 bolt carrier generates.

In total it probably took me nearly 3 months getting out almost every weekend to get most of the details settled on my reloads. Thank god for Gold Medal Match mixed in there to keep my sanity.

And all through that load development ... I got practice behind the gas system. I'm not about to be setting any records, but I do half descent, and I know "the process" has improved my skills as a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by M16LR.50 View Post
    regarding buffer weight... is a heavier buffer really required?
    Do you feel the carrier hitting your shoulder as it bottoms out in the buffer tube?
    The only way to really tell is to try a heavier buffer or spring (only change one thing at a time) and if it still cycles correctly you're good. An adjustable gas block is a better way to control it if you feel your rifle is overgassed for the ammo you are using.

So I did a little more loading and testing today, 35 rounds and one FTF which was another bolt over cartridge which is probably a magazine problem, I set that one to the side and will keep a record of which mags have issues. Seems to work fine with the JP silent captured buffer system with the heavy spring.
    Best load was 43.1gr of H100V under a 129gr SST which made a 3 shot 0.5 moa group but when I made 5 more to test again it did 1.9moa, 3 went into 0.6moa but 2 wandered off. I blame myself for the crappy 5 shot group and will be making more of these for further testing. ES on the five was 16fps and were just over 2700fps MV.
    Loaded up to 44gr but those had a little more primer flow around the firing pin dimple so stopped increasing charge.

As a side note the charging handle stayed locked forward except for one string of higher charge loads.

Gave it a good cleaning and lube so it's ready for the next outing.

Disclaimer, I am posting powder charges for my results with my 6.5 Creedmoor Modern Hunter. I can not guarantee these loads are safe in your rifle so work up carefully checking for signs of pressure as you go. I accept no responsibility for damage or injury if you copy these loads and use them in your rifle.
    Last edited by cr5; 04-20-2017 at 12:22 AM.

I have to say your posts and testing criteria are the best I have seen. Love your data driven approach and how the data drives your descion making. I am building a 6.5 creedmoor and have been going back and fourth between bolt and AR. I have used your site and data to help guide me through the process. Thank you for all the good info, your site really helped me get comfortable trying to get into prescion shooting and informed me of what I was getting myself into.