Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8182021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I think I would too... if the MV is NR and the Macabee is NR there is literally NO reason this one would be any different.
    I agree but why then are there so many guns that are prohibited based on "it looks like"?
    Case in point the GSG MP5
    The Mitchel Arms M16/22
    The Mitchel Arms AK22
    I know there are many more and none of them make any sense, but nonetheless, prohibited, they are.

I would think that very few guys on CGN can honestly say they trust the wisdom and word of the RCMP when it comes to anything gun related. Has everyone already forgotten High River? And THAT was during a PC governments time in office.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Standard AR
    M4 feed ramps cut into reviever?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    Just playing devils advocate here but what if worst case scenario the RCMP for some stupid reason elects to deem this variant a prohibited item? They shouldn't but afterall we are speaking of the RCMP with a Libbberal government mandate to do everything in their power to screw over the gun owners in Canada.

You claim your worst case is being out $1000.00. But is it? What IF the RCMP then comes after everyone who has 1? The possibility exists although remotely.
    What are chances charges would be laid? And on whom? The RCMP is NOT gun friendly by any means.
    Could then ATRS be charged for selling prohibited items? I KNOW that would be VERY expensive to fight in court.
    Given todays age of frivolous law suits how many that are now "willing to roll the dice" would later opt to sue ATRS in order to possibly get their money back or to possibly help offset their own legal costs. This is evidenced daily of lateby all of the 30 year old sexual misconduct cases springing up everyday.

Personally I think Rick is being smart and trying to cover everyones assets. Better to sit tight and await a classification and scrap the project if the RCMP decides to be dicks rather than to risk everything for short term gain.
    what happened in the past when other firearms in civilian hands were declared prohib en masse would be the result. The many previous cases where people were not arrested and charged criminally would be all the defense you need.

ATRS made the offer to sell prior to an FRT being issued. I am simply willing to take them up on it
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter1971 View Post
    I have a Macabee on order, bought a BCL102, bought a BCL 102 receiver set and preordered the WK180. I like the looks of the ATRS set but why the high priced MH/MV's why not just do the receiver set that they are pursuing now?? I think I will stick with Macabee, they offered a receiver set first...
    Large part would be the trigger setup in the hunter and varmint. It's installation to function properly with the safety is finicky. Along with custom parts not found in any firearm and the headaches that would create with random Joe trying to build it from scratch... And calling in with problems. The modern sporter is an evolution from the modern varmint, taking the experiences both from assembling them and providing customer support.

I can vouch that the project was being worked on long before the maccabee was publicly announced. The modern varmint factory model was the middle step between these two platforms, testing if the price point could be reduced without cost saving changes to the receivers. That's the point in the timeline where my insider knowledge ends lol, but I'm gonna say clearly they chose to go ahead with the sporter platform.

Cheers
    Shaun

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranatos View Post
    Large part would be the trigger setup in the hunter and varmint. It's installation to function properly with the safety is finicky. Along with custom parts not found in any firearm and the headaches that would create with random Joe trying to build it from scratch... And calling in with problems. The modern sporter is an evolution from the modern varmint, taking the experiences both from assembling them and providing customer support.

I can vouch that the project was being worked on long before the maccabee was publicly announced. The modern varmint factory model was the middle step between these two platforms, testing if the price point could be reduced without cost saving changes to the receivers. That's the point in the timeline where my insider knowledge ends lol, but I'm gonna say clearly they chose to go ahead with the sporter platform.

Cheers
    Shaun
    I'm assuming you are the same Shaun who joined ATRS before the MH was released...which would explain how you know exactly how the Sporter's upper and lower go together? This is a very exciting project. Care to offer a guess as to how long we have to wait for an FRT?

To those posters who would like it now, before an FRT is issued, I sincerely hope Rick doesn't do it. ATRS is the best avenue we have to a NR ar type rifle we have in Canada. Any move that jeopardized the likelihood of success i.e. pissing off the lab, would be a major mistake in my opinion. Some time saved at the risk of spoiling the opportunity is not worth it. Just my 2 cents. The good news is the list is free. Get your name on it and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
    I'm assuming you are the same Shaun who joined ATRS before the MH was released...which would explain how you know exactly how the Sporter's upper and lower go together? This is a very exciting project. Care to offer a guess as to how long we have to wait for an FRT?

To those posters who would like it now, before an FRT is issued, I sincerely hope Rick doesn't do it. ATRS is the best avenue we have to a NR ar type rifle we have in Canada. Any move that jeopardized the likelihood of success i.e. pissing off the lab, would be a major mistake in my opinion. Some time saved at the risk of spoiling the opportunity is not worth it. Just my 2 cents. The good news is the list is free. Get your name on it and hope for the best.
    Yeah, no idea... Varmint got approval faster than we had hoped, but the hunter took years... Where do you go with that? But I'm really excited! These should be compatible with the cmmg 22lr kits, all the ar trigger options (can't wait to try a jp Armageddon) etc etc... Who doesn't like Lego right?!

Since I would be buying one to swap over my Stag Arms A4 clone parts, the ATRS receiver set matches the AR-15 looks the closest. the SLR would be 2nd closest, the WK180 last in terms of AR-15 aesthetics.

And I like that it sounds like the ATRS receiver set will be pretty much 100% compatible with all the parts currently on my Stag-15. Which means I could totally strip the Stag receiver set, get my NR A4 clone, and then build a new M4gery or Mock18 (that would be restricted anyways) from the Stag receiver.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mike112288's Avatar
    I wish they would tell Alberta tactical how long it will take to approve this receiver set. If it were to take YEARS I would hop on the other option till this one gets classified. I’m so stoked about this receiver set and hoping it is approved soon as non restricted. I have wanted a Eh R varmint rifle for quite some time that I can actually use on varmints. Oh Henry! It’d be saweeter than sweet Marie!

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    If ATRS already has started production, my guess is they already have a verbal agreement.
    Why else would they start production, on a R set?
    Don’t they already make a possible R set.

Just a thought.... ha ha
    By electing to go straight to production from the prototype we get to skip the submit the prototype part and the time it takes for the determination of the prototype.

Given that the "Sporter" is a direct variant of the Varmint there "should" not be any issue in getting the classification we want. HOWEVER there are only 2 guarantees in life.

It is a gamble but one we think worth taking.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    The raw materials cost is almost exactly double between the 2 materials. Small yes but going with 7 series is $60.00 more in base costs, hence our contemplation. The prototypes are 6061 just to keep R&D costs down as low as possible.
    I agree that cutting corners is not my idea of the best way to go, but from years of reading about how quality seems to always be second to cost on the forums, makes me wonder.
    Im all for the race to the bottom (love my savage axis! Lol) but I feel like people looking to buy this particular product would be willing to pay $60 for a better material... We're talking $1600+ rifles here (once the other parts needed are added), where $60 isn't a big difference after all.

Edit - i now see you've already settled on 7075. Good choice. The teaser pics look good too!
    Last edited by Suther; 02-13-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.