Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you hunt with your SKS?

Quote Originally Posted by zman75 View Post
    I actually thought about using it as a back up for moose hunting. Keep shots close, should be ok. Same power as 30/30.
    30-30 has more power.

Tides turn after 150 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dake21 View Post
    30-30 has more power.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Quote Originally Posted by snoopycda View Post
    30-30 has quite a bit more muzzle energy.
    At 100 yards and beyond the X39 starts to catch up, but is still using a 125g bullet.
    My question for those using the SKS is , are you just pulling the ball and replacing with softpoint or handloading?
    Federal fusion SP are great for hunting. There are a few good commercial SP choices actually.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    Tides turn after 150 yards.
    No longer even an argument, you can hot - load the 7.62 x 39 and you can hot load the 30-30 to prove your point. The limiting factor for 30-30 has always been bullet design.
    Hornady's 160g FTX leaves the barrel faster than the 123g from the x39 and beats it all the way out past any practical hunting ranges for the two.
    Passion transcends reason, dreams defy prudence and desire is irrational....Party on!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    No longer even an argument, you can hot - load the 7.62 x 39 and you can hot load the 30-30 to prove your point. The limiting factor for 30-30 has always been bullet design.
    Hornady's 160g FTX leaves the barrel faster than the 123g from the x39 and beats it all the way out past any practical hunting ranges for the two.
    The x39 is available in some bolt action rifles, where hot loading it past the 45000 psi SAAMI spec is perfectly safe. I wouldn't want to load hot for an SKS mind you, but thats more about over-gasing the rifle even more than it already is and not really a worry about the strength of the SKS.

The vast majority of 30-30s are lever guns that aren't as well-suited to pushing the limits of what a cartridge can do. Perhaps the Savage 340 or whatever it is called is better suited to hot rodding than the lever guns? Of course, it doesn't make much sense to make a bolt gun in the caliber in this day and age when the same size action would hold a 308 and you wouldn't have to deal with the issues of rim lock, or get an even smaller action in x39...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

FTX makes a big difference, I use hornday lever evolution FTX 160 mostly in 30-30. My post before was typical white / blue box loads, much lower bc and sd.

Comparisons are including handiness of rifle action size / weight, recoil, efficiency in cartridge size and volume.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    The x39 is available in some bolt action rifles, where hot loading it past the 45000 psi SAAMI spec is perfectly safe. I wouldn't want to load hot for an SKS mind you, but thats more about over-gasing the rifle even more than it already is and not really a worry about the strength of the SKS.

The vast majority of 30-30s are lever guns that aren't as well-suited to pushing the limits of what a cartridge can do. Perhaps the Savage 340 or whatever it is called is better suited to hot rodding than the lever guns? Of course, it doesn't make much sense to make a bolt gun in the caliber in this day and age when the same size action would hold a 308 and you wouldn't have to deal with the issues of rim lock, or get an even smaller action in x39...
    Pretty sure the Savage 340 has a single locking lug; not sure I'd want to hot rod it too much. A Swiss K31 in 30-30 might be a different story though. My CIL 871 (nee Savage 170) is derived from a Savage shotgun and probably not really meant for anything other than hardware store flat nose loads.

On another note, the Sabertooth is a great looking chassis for the Siminov special. Does one have to use duckbill mags, or could it be adapted to XCR mags and magwell?
    Slava Ukraini!

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hifiwasabi View Post
    Pretty sure the Savage 340 has a single locking lug; not sure I'd want to hot rod it too much. A Swiss K31 in 30-30 might be a different story though. My CIL 871 (nee Savage 170) is derived from a Savage shotgun and probably not really meant for anything other than hardware store flat nose loads.

On another note, the Sabertooth is a great looking chassis for the Siminov special. Does one have to use duckbill mags, or could it be adapted to XCR mags and magwell?
    We kind of have two answers for you. The Sabertooth does not require only duckbill mags. It is compatible with duckbill mags, or the internal fixed magazine, or SKS-D and M models. That being said, it is not compatible with the mag adapters for the XCR mags. Many folks ask about this, but right now, we're just working on keeping up with demand on the current design. We have seen some pics going around from someone who had some work done to the Sabertooth to accept the HiCal mag adapater though -- I believe the work was done at a shop called Arma Atelier. The only link I have is from their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AtelierARMA/

CGN Regular
    I hunt with my sks every year. I was just out the other day sighting in my sks with a hunting load. Happily surprised to get a 2" 5 shot group at 100 yards. Not bad guns when you get a good one!

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushbum40 View Post
    I hunt with my sks every year. I was just out the other day sighting in my sks with a hunting load. Happily surprised to get a 2" 5 shot group at 100 yards. Not bad guns when you get a good one!
    Totally agree - and, quality ammo is key to making a big difference! We may be a bit biased, but we also like to think that a good scope mount helps too. :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123