Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December Update - 7.62X39 and 300 Blackout

Expired Business Member

December Update - 7.62X39 and 300 Blackout

Hey all,

Please enjoy the latest video from RWA. Follow us on youtube, facebook, instagram and twitter!

Any Qs, post away. Or PM/email us at info@rangewarrioraccessories.com

Also...FYI, I didn't pick the thumbnail that comes up on the video...but I'm also not changing it

Cheers,
    Barry

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Looking very promising Barry & Kev!!!

Cant wait for the x39 version. Very excited for it!!!
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

Expired Business Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    Looking very promising Barry & Kev!!!

Cant wait for the x39 version. Very excited for it!!!
    Thank you, We are pretty happy with where everything is headed. Life is good.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jparent's Avatar
    Barrel weight? Profile?

300 Blk. Pistol length gas system. 2019 is gonna be great!

Edit. Watched the whole video. Can't wait!
    Looking down the barrel, of 1984...
    Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Foxtrot Oscar.
    It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    I would HIGHLY recommend going with the pistol length gas system on the 300 blk.

I built a 300blk WK180-C myself using an Odin Works barrel with a carbine length gas port. Initially it would not function with ANY ammo I tried so I drilled out the gas port hole in both the barrel and the gas block. With the increased gas flow I reached a point where it would cycle approximately 80%.

I increased the gas port size a little more again and there was no difference. This tells me I'm already using all the available gas pressure.

I thought lighter action springs would help but found nothing available anywhere that would work so I had a place make me a set of springs to the same dimensions but out of spring coil that was 1 gauge lighter.

The firearm cycled 100% with the lighter springs EXCEPT the springs didn't have enough strength to strip and load a round from a fully loaded 10 round pistol magazine. If I only loaded 8 rounds in a pistol mag it worked perfectly but if I had 9 or 10 rounds in it it was a no go. Long body mags that are pinned to 5 are working perfectly because they don't get tight when loaded.

I used Hornady Custom 110gr, Hornady Black 110gr, Hornady Full Bore 110gr and Remington 120gr. The Remington 120gr ammo is performing the best. I have not yet tried any subsonic ammo mainly because I have no intention of using it anyways.

So my conclusion is that the gas pressure curve of the 300blk is already starting to drop by the time it reaches the carbine length gas port. Combine that with the small diameter gas piston (read inefficient) of the 180 platform and the system isn't running when pressure is optimal.

The carbine length system can work however I think it will still be ammo sensitive.

A pistol length system, based on my findings, should be the most reliable system as gas pressure will be closest to it's peak.

Just my .02 based on my tinkering
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 12-06-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Expired Business Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    I would HIGHLY recommend going with the pistol length gas system on the 300 blk.

I built one myself using an Odin Works barrel with a carbine length gas port. Initially it would not function with ANY ammo I tried so I drilled out the gas port hole in both the barrel and the gas block. With the increased gas flow I reached a point where it would cycle approximately 80%.

I increased the gas port size a little more again and there was no difference. This tells me I'm already using all the available gas pressure.

I thought lighter action springs would help but found nothing available anywhere that would work so I had a place make me a set of springs to the same dimensions but out of spring coil that was 1 gauge lighter.

The firearm cycled 100% with the lighter springs EXCEPT the springs didn't have enough strength to strip and load a round from a full magazine. If I only loaded 8 rounds in a pistol mag it worked perfectly but if I had 9 or 10 rounds in it it was a no go. Long body mags that are pinned to 5 are working perfectly because they don't get tight when loaded.

I used Hornady Custom 110gr, Hornady Black 110gr, Hornady Full Bore 110gr and Remington 120gr. I have not yet tried any subsonic ammo mainly because I have no intention of using it anyways.

So my conclusion is that the gas pressure curve of the 300blk is already starting to drop by the time it reaches the carbine length gas port. Combine that with the small diameter gas piston (read inefficient) of the 180 platform and the system isn't running when pressure is optimal.

The carbine length system can work however I think it will still be ammo sensitive.

A pistol length system, based on my findings, should be the most reliable system as gas pressure will be closest to it's peak.

Just my .02 based on my tinkering
    Our gas system is a little different than the WK180c. We found that the 125 gr Remington and the 208gr Hornady ran 100% though our carbine length system. We fired 300 rounds of each with not one failure. We think that anything heavier than 208 gr should be run through a pistol length system for sure.
    For hunting and any application that runs the 125 gr the carbine length is awesome. In the video I am shooting the 125gr and the 208 gr through a carbine length system with no mods to springs or gas port size.
    Last edited by RWA-Technical; 12-06-2018 at 03:50 PM.

I am interested in the pistol length gas system for shooting heavier bullets subsonic. Will the pistol length gas system handle lighter supersonic bullets reliably or will it be over gassed?
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Expired Business Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by homer76 View Post
    I am interested in the pistol length gas system for shooting heavier bullets subsonic. Will the pistol length gas system handle lighter supersonic bullets reliably or will it be over gassed?
    With the way our gas system works over gas is not a concern, The piston cup bleeds off any extra gas at the reset point. What bullet weights are you considering using for you sub sonic loads? I can most likely test them for you and give you a report on action performance.

Expired Business Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by RWA-Technical View Post
    With the way our gas system works over gas is not a concern, The piston cup bleeds off any extra gas at the reset point. What bullet weights are you considering using for you sub sonic loads? I can most likely test them for you and give you a report on action performance.
    I stand corrected. When running 110gr and 125gr through the pistol length she does run a little fast. It will take more testing to see if it does any harm or not. 208gr runs nice though��

Quote Originally Posted by RWA-Technical View Post
    Budget Shooting Supply sells 245 grain RNFP cast bullets made by Missouri Bullet Company. I was going to roll my own.

I currently make subsonic rounds using 165 grain RNFP with my bolt action .308 and it's been a lot of fun! I am limited by the 1:10 barrel twist and want a rifle to shoot heavier bullets. Having a semi auto that works reliably would be a plus.

I am assuming your 300 Blackout barrels are 1:8 twist?

I was also wondering if you used a chronograph on the 208 grain rounds. I'm curious if they are still subsonic with the 18.6" barrel.
    Last edited by homer76; 12-08-2018 at 04:23 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast