Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame 9mm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    You won't be shooting against them. You will be in a different class with the plastic PPQ. If you shoot IPSC.
    How so? If you don't put an optic on it, shouldn't it be regular production class?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN frequent flyer carlchevalier's Avatar
    You won't be shooting against them. You will be in a different class with the plastic PPQ. If you shoot IPSC.
    Its on the production approved list... (prod optics too)

But to answer the previous question, Its going to go against more tanfos and shadows than m&P or G17s....

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    How so? If you don't put an optic on it, shouldn't it be regular production class?
    There is production lite, for plastic guns or others under a certain weight and production for the heavier metal guns. New rules this year. Im not sure of the exact titles without looking it up.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    There is production lite, for plastic guns or others under a certain weight and production for the heavier metal guns. New rules this year. Im not sure of the exact titles without looking it up.
    Interesting! I've heard about production optic but not production lite.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by cycoblade View Post
    "Whats the difference between this one and the pro model? "

From what I could see on their website, the Pro model has a flared magwell and an extended mag.
    That's just from a cursory glance.
    I would opt for the Pro as well.
    If i’m going to get one...which I’m now pretty sure I will ...think i’ll wait for the Pro model as well.

For the last few years i’ve shot the polymer PPQ 5” in 3 Gun matches because i like the gun and it’s so light on a fully loaded belt. But have reluctantly decided it’s just too light and I shoot way better with a heavier steel frame gun - like the Shadow 2 - which I shoot in IPSC. So this year I plan to start shooting my S2 in 3 Gun and IPSC.

But I do prefer a striker fire HG in 3 Gun, because I can just dump it and go without having to engage a dedicated safety. And this new 42 oz steel frame PPQ Match seems ideally suited for 3 Gun, especially the Pro version with the flared magwell, which was my other gripe with my polymer PPQ. A heavier SF PPQ Match with a 5” barrel and flared magwell seems ideally suited for 3G matches...which I guess Walther figured out.

Now that i’ve convinced myself I ‘need’ the SF Pro version, wish Walther would hurry up and get them in stores up here ASAP
    "For me, the action is the juice."

Not untrue, but not an absolute truth. Production optics is still provisional - but will likely be here to stay. As far as I can see there will be no Production Light - only “PO Light” - and clubs can exclude divisions during a match. IPSC AB has a match scheduled for next Sunday with no PCC included. (Or production light)

So yes, $500-$700 plastic guns will still be competing against steel frames, including the Stock III extremes, PPQ Match/SF, and Shadow 2 Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Northaways View Post
    If i’m going to get one...which I’m now pretty sure I will ...think i’ll wait for the Pro model as well.

For the last few years i’ve shot the polymer PPQ 5” in 3 Gun matches because i like the gun and it’s so light on a fully loaded belt. But have reluctantly decided it’s just too light and I shoot way better with a heavier steel frame gun - like the Shadow 2 - which I shoot in IPSC. So this year I plan to start shooting my S2 in 3 Gun and IPSC.

But I do prefer a striker fire HG in 3 Gun, because I can just dump it and go without having to engage a dedicated safety. And this new 42 oz steel frame PPQ Match seems ideally suited for 3 Gun, especially the Pro version with the flared magwell, which was my other gripe with my polymer PPQ. A heavier SF PPQ Match with a 5” barrel and flared magwell seems ideally suited for 3G matches...which I guess Walther figured out.

Now that i’ve convinced myself I ‘need’ the SF Pro version, wish Walther would hurry up and get them in stores up here ASAP
    I started IPSC with a PPQ M2 and moved to an S2. I am also accustomed to the weight of a steel frame. I started 3Gun last year and would also prefer striker fired and no safety. Only issue to getting this new Walther is the 2 grand...
    "Don't confuse effort with results."

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justmessing View Post
    Not untrue, but not an absolute truth. Production optics is still provisional - but will likely be here to stay. As far as I can see there will be no Production Light - only “PO Light” - and clubs can exclude divisions during a match. IPSC AB has a match scheduled for next Sunday with no PCC included. (Or production light)

So yes, $500-$700 plastic guns will still be competing against steel frames, including the Stock III extremes, PPQ Match/SF, and Shadow 2 Orange
    Yes that seems to be correct at this time although there has been plenty of discussion regarding production light as well. My only interest is P.O. so the other does not apply to me. My opinion is that production light will eventually be included if there is enough interest and enough guns to split the division. Interesting times.

Amen brother.

Quote Originally Posted by LAV View Post
    I started IPSC with a PPQ M2 and moved to an S2. I am also accustomed to the weight of a steel frame. I started 3Gun last year and would also prefer striker fired and no safety. Only issue to getting this new Walther is the 2 grand...
    Agreed. The two+ grand does make me pause, but figure by the time the Pro model makes it up here i’ll have justified purchase somehow.
    "For me, the action is the juice."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast