Page 48 of 79 FirstFirst ... 283840414243444546474849505152535455565868 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic Plates Incoming

Quote Originally Posted by jhnvan View Post
    I'm relatively new to body armor but I had a question for you guys. I already own a nij IIIa soft armor and low profile carrier. If I purchased a hard plate level III or IV, Should I be wearing it in combination with my soft panels or would I wear it on it's own? I'm guessing there wouldn't be enough space in my carrier to hold both? I have a separate pocket for the 10x12 plate though (it's a Mayflower LPAC Armor carrier)...

Cheers!
    It depends on the plate, typically a plate will indicate whether it is standalone (meaning it needs no soft armour to work at its rated threat level) or if it requires soft armour as well to work at that rated threat level. The ceramic plates currently for sale probably wouldn't benefit too much from the added soft armour, but the steel plates on the other hand might for the reason that spall is typically an issue with steel plates. Although steel plates may easily stop the rated threat, the spall ricocheting off the plate may still be fatal. If your soft armour is inserted in-front of the plate, it would be able to capture that spall. So if you're purchasing steel plates and the soft armour is inserted in-front of the plate, there may be a benefit. However, the ceramic and UHMWPE plates probably won't get much of a benefit from the addition of soft armour.

Business Member
    Just a question to you guys. We are currently working on soft armor and we are curious if you would be interested in an incredibly low profile IIA "vest"/almost undershirt which would retail for around 125-140CAD. It would have front back and side protection built in. We can also do IIIA but it would cost around 20% more.

I would be interested. TY
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

I would grab one of those as well

Business Member
    Also we would try and make it stab resistant as well.

I'd be in for some low profile soft armour as well.
    People following bad laws reduces only freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeclub View Post
    It depends on the plate, typically a plate will indicate whether it is standalone (meaning it needs no soft armour to work at its rated threat level) or if it requires soft armour as well to work at that rated threat level. The ceramic plates currently for sale probably wouldn't benefit too much from the added soft armour, but the steel plates on the other hand might for the reason that spall is typically an issue with steel plates. Although steel plates may easily stop the rated threat, the spall ricocheting off the plate may still be fatal. If your soft armour is inserted in-front of the plate, it would be able to capture that spall. So if you're purchasing steel plates and the soft armour is inserted in-front of the plate, there may be a benefit. However, the ceramic and UHMWPE plates probably won't get much of a benefit from the addition of soft armour.
    Ok I understand that part. Unfortunately mine has the plate insert in front of the soft armour. I guess the standalone plates would be too thick to wear in combination with the soft armor? So then AITactical, Which hard plate do you guys have that would be thin enough to fit in my carrier with my soft panels?

Cheers!

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnvan View Post
    Ok I understand that part. Unfortunately mine has the plate insert in front of the soft armour. I guess the standalone plates would be too thick to wear in combination with the soft armor? So then AITactical, Which hard plate do you guys have that would be thin enough to fit in my carrier with my soft panels?

Cheers!
    How much room do you have available in your plate carrier. Our thinnest plate would be the steel Level III+, as they are only about 8mm-10mm thick.

Last edited by benwilliam; 10-30-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    1 cannot successfully legislate an object 2 control an action / If u have a problem & u think someone else is going to fix it for u; u actually have 2 problems / If guns kill people then pens misspell words,spoons make u fat & cars make u drive drunk

Quote Originally Posted by AITacticalSolutions View Post
    Just a question to you guys. We are currently working on soft armor and we are curious if you would be interested in an incredibly low profile IIA "vest"/almost undershirt which would retail for around 125-140CAD. It would have front back and side protection built in. We can also do IIIA but it would cost around 20% more.
    I'm definitely interested in low profile soft armor. probably will choose IIIA, but not sure yet. would like to see how those look like - will you have samples?
    CCFR CSSA