Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gopher Safari

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    One of my favorite ways to spend a day, shooting sod rats. Me and my hunting parter have only talley up about 250 this year after 2 outings in less than ideal conditions. Looking forward to some calm sunny days.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kamlooky's Avatar
    Hokay then, witch one was/is yer favorite this time?
    He has a half-tracked mind and unrelenting habit of self aggrandizing.
    Can anyone guess?

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AB.boy View Post
    One of my favorite ways to spend a day, shooting sod rats. Me and my hunting parter have only talley up about 250 this year after 2 outings in less than ideal conditions. Looking forward to some calm sunny days.
    It is amazing how quickly you can stack up solid numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by kamlooky View Post
    Hokay then, witch one was/is yer favorite this time?
    Two favourites for this trip:

Leupold VX-Freedom RDS on the Ruger SR-22 - great for walking the fence lines and shooting as the gophers appear

Leupold VX-3i LRP on the Ruger Rimfire Precision - awesome setup for the money

THe Mark 5 on the CZ was pretty sweet as well.

KGL

Quote Originally Posted by Korth Group Ltd View Post
    6. Ruger American Compact in 22LR, Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7 Rimfire

Fantastic scope for the money.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

CGN Regular
    My daughter & son-in-law moved onto a small acreage midway between Calgary & Red Deer. My son-in-law (not a shooter) called to ask how to “chase” then from their property. Of course my answer was “let me chase them”. So starting last week, I’ve been chasing them three times now. 192 have been “chased off” so far, plus 2 skunks & a badger.
    This land has not been hunted for 20 years at least. There are thousands of them. I stocked up on .17HMR for my ugly, cheap Savage. I’ve got it scoped with a Vortex worth three times what the gun is; for all it’s ugly, cheap plastic stocked appearance, this gun shoots sub MOA groups at 100 consistently.
    They have a couple of small hummocks on the edge of the field, maybe 8 ft. High. I set up one of those beach sun shades, stick a lawnchair inside, my tripod, cooler with water and food. And ammo...LOTS of ammo.
    Our gopher population was pretty low for several years; you might actually need to walk a few hundred feet to get serious numbers, and we’ve Never had to do any walking to get 50/60 in an afternoon.
    This year is like the good old days; gophers everywhere and they aren’t hunter-shy. They’re often very cautious when they see someone with a gun, but these ones have obviously never been predated by anything but hawks, so they’ll stand there looking at you while you drop several right beside them. Awesome fun!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer joe-nwt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FranksPop View Post
    My daughter & son-in-law moved onto a small acreage midway between Calgary & Red Deer. My son-in-law (not a shooter) called to ask how to “chase” then from their property. Of course my answer was “let me chase them”. So starting last week, I’ve been chasing them three times now. 192 have been “chased off” so far, plus 2 skunks & a badger.
    This land has not been hunted for 20 years at least. There are thousands of them. I stocked up on .17HMR for my ugly, cheap Savage. I’ve got it scoped with a Vortex worth three times what the gun is; for all it’s ugly, cheap plastic stocked appearance, this gun shoots sub MOA groups at 100 consistently.
    They have a couple of small hummocks on the edge of the field, maybe 8 ft. High. I set up one of those beach sun shades, stick a lawnchair inside, my tripod, cooler with water and food. And ammo...LOTS of ammo.
    Our gopher population was pretty low for several years; you might actually need to walk a few hundred feet to get serious numbers, and we’ve Never had to do any walking to get 50/60 in an afternoon.
    This year is like the good old days; gophers everywhere and they aren’t hunter-shy. They’re often very cautious when they see someone with a gun, but these ones have obviously never been predated by anything but hawks, so they’ll stand there looking at you while you drop several right beside them. Awesome fun!
    You do know badgers are on your side, right?
    ...I don't like making plans for the day because then "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom.

Quote Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
    They are not on the side of the farmer or rancher, thats for sure. Lots of equipment and horses/cows legs broken in badger holes.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

For sure

From Left to Right:
    1. CZ 453 22LR bedded in a Boyds Tacticool stock (Krylon Camo), EGW 20 MOA rail, Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 TMR reticle with Leupold Backcountry 30mm rings, and Atlas bi-pod
    2. Ruger SR-22 in 22LR, with Leupold VX-Freedom Red Dot Sight (RDS)
    3. Kimber Varmint in 223 Rem, with Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14 Varmint
    4. Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22 LR, with Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14, in a Leupold IMS mount
    5. Ruger 10/22 in 22LR in a Boyds Evolution purple/grey stock, Tactical Solutions barrel, EGW 20 MOA rail, Leupold VX-2 3-9 Rimfire EFR, Harris clone bi-pod
    6. Ruger American Compact in 22LR, Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7 Rimfire

The ranch we were on was a smaller property - only 4000 acres... In speaking with the land owner, it is challenging to buy less than an 1/4 section (160 acres); most land is sold in half or full sections. Beautiful country in the Prairies.

KGL
    How long is the barrel on the 10/22 in the purple boyds stock?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
    Ranchers I've talked to in AB hate badgers even more than gophers. If I remember the conversations right, high gopher populations attract the badgers who hunt them. Might seem like an advantage, but most gopher holes are NOT big enough to be problematic to livestock. Badger holes~I've seen plenty of those that a telephone pole would fit in with room to spare. So, in the wild...they play a role in this capacity. On working ranches, badgers are not held in high regard. To put it mildly.

I've only ever seen a few of them out there myself...but have seen the damage they do plenty of times, and on lots of properties.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    It is amazing how quickly you can stack up solid numbers!

Two favourites for this trip:

Leupold VX-Freedom RDS on the Ruger SR-22 - great for walking the fence lines and shooting as the gophers appear

Leupold VX-3i LRP on the Ruger Rimfire Precision - awesome setup for the money

THe Mark 5 on the CZ was pretty sweet as well.

KGL
    Please send the 453 with the Mark 5 to me here in Ontario...for further assessment. OK, just the scope if shipping $ is too high.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast