Page 102 of 205 FirstFirst ... 8292949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110112122 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2045

Thread: Trudeau's Gun Ban and Buy Back

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman762 View Post
    In countries where the government actually fears a coup, rifles are far more restricted than handguns or shotguns. Like Russia where you have to own a shotgun for several years before buying a rifle. And in Ecuador you can buy handguns for protection fairly easily (so I've read) but are severely limited in how much ammo you can buy/possess. Rifles are largely banned there. Governments are paranoid of private rifle arsenals; you don't fight a ground war with handguns... THAT'S why the Liberals fear 75,000 AR15's more than 1 million handguns.
    Not sure about your analysis regarding other countries, but there is one clear explanation for why ARs and not handguns.

Political calculus.

Trudeau is trying to secure his position around the urban populations of toronto and vancouver and montreal. 1 million handguns owned by roughly 300,000, living largely in cities, is a huge cost to pay for pandering to approximately 500,000 city dwellers that may actually be influenced by such a proposal. At 300,000, handgun owners represent a broad cross section of society.

75,000 ARs owned by probably less than 30,000 individual owners. Meaning a lot less votes to lose. ARs on average are more expensive than handguns. Ammo is more expensive. Accessories are more expensive. Ergo AR owners tend to be richer, and therefore older, and whiter, then your average handgun owner, and probably weren't going to vote liberal anyways. Meaning the Liberals aren't likely to lose many votes at all over an AR ban, but have the same potential to capture the 500k or so undecided or soft liberal supporters.

Further, this strategy of AR vs handgun is being carefully crafted to try to placate the 2 million PAL holders that there is a rational basis for taking ARs that does not apply to handguns, ie this nonsense about ARs being designed to engage human targets as quickly as possible, as if modern combat pistols aren't to engage human targets as quickly as possible.

It doesn't matter that the liberal proposal doesn't make any sense to us, cause we aren't the ones they are trying to convince with this proposal. Despite being utter nonsense, the people they are trying to convince with this don't know any more about guns, gun laws or gun violence than the liberals do.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Hippie View Post
    honestly all the dumb laws and oppression tactics that have been mounted on this community for the last decades I’d be seriously surprised if 10% of the armed population complies.
    Perhaps. Most of the people who neglected to comply last time did so out of ignorance. They simply didn't know. I still meet people who think their FAC is still valid. With registered restricted however, the RCMP and CFO will be sending letters to all of those people revoking their certificates and ordering surrender of the firearms. I suspect compliance among those people will be fairly high, while those with NR guns affected by any ban will likely just keep their heads down.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_1982's Avatar
    The problem with that theory is they aren’t stopping at AR’s. Based on their comments SKS’s, VZ 58’s and M14/M305’s are also on the block among others. That’s a huge number of PAL holders who own those.
    CSSA and CCFR member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_1982 View Post
    The problem with that theory is they aren’t stopping at AR’s. Based on their comments SKS’s, VZ 58’s and M14/M305’s are also on the block among others. That’s a huge number of PAL holders who own those.
    Difficult to seize guns they don’t have in their system Got this sneaking suspicion a lot of our NR stuff is gonna disappear into holes under floor planks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_1982 View Post
    They haven't provided an exact list by make model, but yes there will presumably be a large number of NR guns affected, with no way for the CFO to bully owners into compliance. Many will 'not-comply' simply out of a complete lack of awareness.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Difficult to seize guns they don’t have in their system Got this sneaking suspicion a lot of our NR stuff is gonna disappear into holes under floor planks.
    I hear your brother, but people better be careful, with today’s technology, they can find stuff like that in about 40 seconds...
    ...without even being in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUAREHEAD1 View Post
    I hear your brother, but people better be careful, with today’s technology, they can find stuff like that in about 40 seconds...
    ...without even being in the house.
    It really does not matter at all. The authorities would not even look for hidden guns for lack of resources. It would be enough for them that the guns would be hidden forever under proverbial "floor planks" or wherever else. The owner would never be able to use those hidden guns anyway. Period.
    Having said that please vote Conservatives on October 21!
    NFA CCFR CSSA
    CPC PC Ontario

That's exactly right. I lived in apartheid South Africa where the Government feared an uprising by the black majority. Semi auto rifles were by far the most difficult licences to get whereas it was much easier to get a handgun or bolt action rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman762 View Post
    In countries where the government actually fears a coup, rifles are far more restricted than handguns or shotguns. Like Russia where you have to own a shotgun for several years before buying a rifle. And in Ecuador you can buy handguns for protection fairly easily (so I've read) but are severely limited in how much ammo you can buy/possess. Rifles are largely banned there. Governments are paranoid of private rifle arsenals; you don't fight a ground war with handguns... THAT'S why the Liberals fear 75,000 AR15's more than 1 million handguns.

CGN Regular
    It is becoming very self evident that the only way to stop this liberal buy back scheme is to vote them out of office. One would think the priority would be to vote for the party that would repeal C71. However with the split here in reference to either the CPC or PPC is going to make a repeal almost impossible. I think the best the Conservatives could hope for at this moment is a minority government. That is going to make getting things done almost impossible.
    CCFR, CSSA Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash54000 View Post
    It is becoming very self evident that the only way to stop this liberal buy back scheme is to vote them out of office. One would think the priority would be to vote for the party that would repeal C71. However with the split here in reference to either the CPC or PPC is going to make a repeal almost impossible. I think the best the Conservatives could hope for at this moment is a minority government. That is going to make getting things done almost impossible.
    Agreed.

Personally, gun owners should not care one bit which party wins, as long as the winning party is pro gun. Likewise, when you have a blatant anti-gun party like Todays Liberals under Trudeau, we should be laser focused on seeing that party destroyed, not bickering over which sort of right leaning party has the theoretically better platform.

In my opinion, everyone interested in saving guns from the smelter should be voting for the non-liberal candidate with the best chances of winning. That may mean voting green or NDP, which might suck, but at the end of the day thats what its going to take.

If the CPC can't get their act together and capitalize on all these scandals, thats on them. 2 million gun owners can't deliver an entire election, not that all of us vote anyways. I'd love to see a CPC majority, but in some ridings that just ain't going to happen. When faced with certain gun prohibitions, it will be no consolation that I voted conservative. However, I'd gladly vote NDP if it means watching the liberals implode.

Fortunately, in my riding, I can have my cake and eat it too because the candidate in the best place to unseat the liberal incumbent is CPC.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_1982's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    They haven't provided an exact list by make model, but yes there will presumably be a large number of NR guns affected, with no way for the CFO to bully owners into compliance. Many will 'not-comply' simply out of a complete lack of awareness.
    That’s very possible, but how many people have the ability to use their now prohibited firearms outside public view? I can see the Liberals taking the lazy route and making examples of those caught to scare the remainder.
    CSSA and CCFR member