Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Service Rifle SR CQB with BOLT Guns

Out of curiosity what are the caliber restrictions on these courses/competitions? I've used every conceivable type of action on a firearm over the course of my life and I always fall back to bolt and semi depending on my situation. The idea of using a 6mm Creedmore in a bolt for several different types of training and competition really piques my interest. I've been considering building one anyways and this would put me over the top.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Farris Bueller View Post
    I have a Remmy 700 .308 win 16.5” HV barrel 1:10 twist with a MDT LSS chassis, muzzle brake and 10rd Steel MDT mags. Magpul grip and strike industries Viper Mod 1 stock. Currently a Vortex 6-24 HS-T Mrad scope in QD Burris XTR 30mm rings sits on top and I have to say I love this rifle it’s is sort of a do all. Nice and short weighs under 7lbs total. With Or without handloads it shoots great. Sounds like it would meet the needs of these types of competition very well.
    This could be used for SR, although that is way more scope than needed. Recoil with .308 would be a disadvantage for rapid fire strings or if rapid pairs are fired.
    Waaay too much scope and ammunition for CQB. It is all close range.
    Depending on CoF, a rather large number of rounds may be fired.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerii View Post
    Out of curiosity what are the caliber restrictions on these courses/competitions? I've used every conceivable type of action on a firearm over the course of my life and I always fall back to bolt and semi depending on my situation. The idea of using a 6mm Creedmore in a bolt for several different types of training and competition really piques my interest. I've been considering building one anyways and this would put me over the top.

CQB is close range, tends to be rapid fire. Lots of reasons for .223 to be popular. As mentioned above, 7.62x39 has also been used.
    6mm Creedmore would certainly work for SR. Often your brass will be left behind, depending on the CoF. Might or might not be able to recover it, depending on the match program.

GunNutz

Caliber Choice

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerii View Post

Beside the actual merits of the cartridge, if you plan to shoot at some Military ranges they can have very particular restrictions. Make sure you check with MDs of the orgs you plan to shoot with.

Super Moderator
    That certainly can be a factor. Some DND ranges list specific approved calibers.

IIRC at CFB Borden, one of the approved calibers is 30-30...might make for an interesting rifle match. As for bolt guns .223 would be the most economical option that fits on the approved caliber list.
    ORA Service Rifle competitor, NSCC/DCRA supporter, CSSA and CCFR member + Firearms legal defence
    The Antis are after ALL of your firearms. NONE of them are “safe”.
    Wake up Canada!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
    OK but if we continue with the competitions with bolt guns wont the liberals say see you don't need AR's for sports shooting. I think it would be better to cancel all shooting events where the AR would normally be used to show it has impacted sports shooting. Instead of adapting to Trudeau's rules
    I completely agree with this sentiment.

By altering course of fires to artificially make bolt guns competative (in these 2 disciplines, they're just not) we're supporting the argument that "no one needs those for sporting use." shooting an airsoft rifle or a .22 for CQB makes more sense to me than an altered course of fire for bolt guns.

Quote Originally Posted by bollox View Post
    That would work if they cared.

They don’t.
    Maybe the politicians don't but the courts may. It's baked into the firearms code that if it has a sporting use it can't be prohibited. (Thanks to DCRA back in the 70's.)

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior37c View Post
    Maybe the politicians don't but the courts may. It's baked into the firearms code that if it has a sporting use it can't be prohibited. (Thanks to DCRA back in the 70's.)
    That isn't exactly what the "firearms code" says.
    But it is one one of the arguments in a current court challenge. We'll get to see if it has any weight.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior37c View Post
    I completely agree with this sentiment.

By altering course of fires to artificially make bolt guns competative (in these 2 disciplines, they're just not) we're supporting the argument that "no one needs those for sporting use." shooting an airsoft rifle or a .22 for CQB makes more sense to me than an altered course of fire for bolt guns.
    The AR has been used for competitive shooting for decades. The proof is there.
    At this moment, your AR will be locked up for 2 years before it is collected and destroyed. You cannot legally use it for anything. Unless the court challenges are able to reverse the OIC, or there is an election and a change in government.
    In the meantime, you can sit at home, or you can get out and shoot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast