Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first Rifle

Buying my first Rifle

I've arranged the purchase of my first gun a previously owned CZ 455, I have questions because the seller has asked me to meet in a tim hortons which I find weird

When you buy a Gun do you search the serial number to see if is not stolen?

What kind of places do you meet to check the condition of the gun?

What other things would you recommend me as a first time buyer ?

I just buy the gun. I guess if you wanted to you could call the CFO and ask about the serial number, but I have never heard of anyone doing that.
    You can meet anyplace I picked up 2 pellet pistols at a Tim Horton's. I think for a rifle I would prefer and area where there are not to many people maybe near a hunting shop might look better.
    The person selling the firearm probably doesn't want you to know where he lives since you now know he owns guns, which could make him a target.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I just buy the gun. I guess if you wanted to you could call the CFO and ask about the serial number, but I have never heard of anyone doing that.
    You can meet anyplace I picked up 2 pellet pistols at a Tim Horton's. I think for a rifle I would prefer and area where there are not to many people maybe near a hunting shop might look better.
    The person selling the firearm probably doesn't want you to know where he lives since you now know he owns guns, which could make him a target.

I would do the same but as a first time buyer imagine buying a rifle from the trunk..lol kinda sketchy..if people see that just imagine ...

That's why I would do it near a hunting shop. But at the same time this person doesn't want you to know where he lives because then technically he has now exposed his address and you know he has guns.

The fire arm should be in a case you can open the case and check the firearm out, you can check the action, obviously you cannot test fire it, unless you go with him to a gun range.

You don't say where your location is and location would also determine how things would be handled. If you lived in say Moncton NB or NS then I would not want to meet at McDonald. If you lived in my area I would meet at a gun shop. But I did meet at a Tim Hortons to pick up a pellet revolver which looked just like the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sobaje View Post
    I would do the same but as a first time buyer imagine buying a rifle from the trunk..lol kinda sketchy..if people see that just imagine ...
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Alternatively - if your home is not far from the Tim Horton's he's suggested, you could ask him to bring it to your place and you would be able to look it over, without a bunch of strangers watching.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Did you buy it from someone on the EE or through another site, that rhymes with roast?

if it was from the EE check their feedback score.

Be honest with them about your concerns. maybe offer you phone number if they want to call and discuss it.

i haven't bought a lot off the EE but its been 50/50 peoples homes or public spaces. One was even behind a grocery store (that was sketchy but the guy was super nice)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmcc View Post
    Did you buy it from someone on the EE or through another site, that rhymes with roast?

if it was from the EE check their feedback score.

Be honest with them about your concerns. maybe offer you phone number if they want to call and discuss it.

i haven't bought a lot off the EE but its been 50/50 peoples homes or public spaces. One was even behind a grocery store (that was sketchy but the guy was super nice)
    the one that rhymes with roast ..lol

Ive bought a few rifles in parking lots ranging from cabelas to walmart. Doesnt really matter where as long as there are other people around

Never had an issue with lookyloo's but ymmv.

I really prefer using the EE over any other website though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Suggest the Police station instead and see what he says.....
    If he doesn't want to see your PAL that would be a bad sign.... if you show him yours, maybe he will show you his..... ?
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

I have thought about buying from EE but every firearm I have looked at the owners wanted at least 100 bucks more then the cost to buy new. I looked at the Girsan and every seller wanted 100 bucks more for a used one and not even any upgrades. A used gun is only worth 75% of what was paid new it's not worth more because you touched it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast