Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New transfer rule

Quote Originally Posted by ravenzoom View Post
    I hope you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ask more or if they change this in the near future.
    That is what my pov. CFO has stated, no info on the rifle, just licence number.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Red_Rabbit View Post
    You do not have to inform the RCMP the specific make and model of the NR firearm you are transferring.

All you say is: I am transferring a NR firearm. Check this license. Give me the ref number.

Nothing more.
    Any reference there? that would be dream come true not having to provide every little detail

Uber Super GunNutz
    You do not have to inform the RCMP the specific make and model of the NR firearm you are transferring.

All you say is: I am transferring a NR firearm. Check this license. Give me the ref number.

Nothing more.
    Is a step to this that I do not understand - for private sales - so far as I know the "authorities" have no record of where is any Non-Restricted firearms, nor who owns them - except for those in inventory at a retailer. So, if I wanted to sell one that I have owned for a few years, why would I phone the RCMP / CFO to get permission to do so?? I already have to verify that I have no reason to believe that the buyer is not "allowed" to own such a thing - normally have been simply looking whether they have a PAL card or not, and I have shown mine multiple times so other private sellers are doing the same - what, exactly, is being "transferred", if they do not know what and where and to whom it belongs, now??

It seems that declaring that you want to "transfer" ownership - first, you had to somehow declare ownership of it?? Seems a bit odd, to me, for private sales of non-restricted firearms.

Perhaps these new regulation is saying that the PAL card is worthless - has no purpose / no value - to confirm that the receiver is allowed to own that firearm, have to verify, every time, with the RCMP/CFO - is that what is being done?
    Last edited by Potashminer; 05-17-2022 at 03:22 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BattleRife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenzoom View Post
    I hope you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ask more or if they change this in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsince2k View Post
    Any reference there? that would be dream come true not having to provide every little detail
    I don't understand how this is still a question, it has been explictly stated in every single communication that has been sent out. From the government. From the CFOs. From the lawyers that have analysed the new regs.

From Ed Burlew, lawyer specializing in firearms law:
    There is no obligation and it is discouraged for any transferor or transferee to inform the CFC or CFO of the details of the firearm. The CFC/CFO will only be concerned with the validity of the licenses.
    --BattleRife

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BattleRife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    Perhaps these new regulation is saying that the PAL card is worthless - has no purpose / no value - to confirm that the receiver is allowed to own that firearm, have to verify, every time, with the RCMP/CFO - is that what is being done?
    Essentially, yes. This step is being added because somebody has decided that simple possession of a plastic card is not a reliable indicator the holder is okay to possess firearms. So they make you call to verify the license is still good. And they give you a reference number to prove that you made the call.

What is really being transferred is liability for determining the card holder is really a licensed gun owner, from you, to the government.

I understand the government is not our friend, and everything they do should be scrutinized with caution and distrust, but really, all these hysterics over such a small change is pretty ridiculous, and more than a little tiresome.
    --BattleRife

Just Don't Do It
    "iacta alea est"

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by skwerl View Post
    Just Don't Do It
    till you sell to a cop that wants to make a name for himself or a Karen

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrsplit View Post
    till you sell to a cop that wants to make a name for himself or a Karen
    i wouldn't worry to much about it,,law enforcement have stated many times that they dont have time or resources to chase down a NON problem,
    this little fluff legislation is about one thing only, appease the liberal anti gun nazis,as long as those idiots THINK something is being done,they think they won something big,but really nothing much has changed,and not much time will be spent worrying about it.

Yesterday I asked one of the "information officer" from RCMP firearm program about this when I verified a buyer's PAL. She said no firearm information is needed, only the buyer's PAL number and RCMP will issue a reference number which valid for 90 days. She also said we don't need to retain the reference number or the buyer's information. Then I don't see a point for the reference number.

CGN frequent flyer
    Just came up:

Licence Verification for Non-Restricted Firearms Transfer New

This section allows you to perform the licence verification check required by Section 23 of the Firearms Act; the Firearms Licences Regulations; and the Conditions of Transferring Firearms and Other Weapons Regulations as part of the transfer of one or more Non-Restricted firearms. Click the button below to verify the validity of the firearm licence of an individual or business to whom you wish to transfer a non-restricted firearm.

If you already have one or more non-restricted firearms transfer(s), click here to view or print the associated transfer notice(s).

Individual
    Fields marked with a ( * ) are mandatory.
    Buyer licence number (required)
    Buyer date of birth (required)
    yyyy-mm-dd
    Buyer email address (required)

or

Business
    Fields marked with a ( * ) are mandatory.
    Buyer licence number (required)
    Buyer email address (required)

Continue ...

Licence Verification Notice List
    This screen allows you to review and print any licence verifications notices related to you as a seller or a buyer.
    You are not currently associated with any licence verification notices.
    If a politician’s life is worth armed guards, why aren't our children's lives worth the ability for us to give them the same level of protection?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast