Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HK SL8 in stock

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post
    If you check the SL8 rifle sticky, under the Modern Sporting Rifles forum (I think that痴 what it痴 labeled) you値l see how either the receiver, or magazines, need to be modified.

The receiver has two plastic tabs that protrude down the front of the mag well - These tabs make the front of the SL8 magazine narrower then the G36 magazine. The tabs either have to be removed, or your magpul magazines modified to fit.

I知 on the fence about modifying the receiver. I think I値l modify a magazine or two.
    Right on man, yep going to play around with a mag first before removing the tabs from the receiver, thank you

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by SigWig View Post
    ^ yeah I think I'm going to mod the mags as well. Tampering the gun could cause warranty problems
    I get it but to be honest my SL8 was probably the last gun I ever owned that would develop an issue. It was a tank. A fine tuned overbuilt German made tank. Too soon?

Cheers
    Moe
    Thank you Stanislav Petrov..... every living thing thanks you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I get it but to be honest my SL8 was probably the last gun I ever owned that would develop an issue. It was a tank. A fine tuned overbuilt German made tank. Too soon?

Cheers
    Moe
    Did you make the modification on your SL8? If so, what did you use? I知 pretty handy with a Dremel and file but I知 nervous as heck to modify a $2,500 HK receiver.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post
    Did you make the modification on your SL8? If so, what did you use? I’m pretty handy with a Dremel and file but I’m nervous as heck to modify a $2,500 HK receiver.
    At the time I never even thought of modifying the mags. Took advice from the SL8 sticky (an early page) that explained removing the nubs from the receiver. Took 5 minutes with a Dremel and worked great ever after. I never had G36 mags but I did have an AR15 magwell. Did it to use LAR and Beowolf mags. 100% function for years. Only sold the rifle because it was too over weight for my bush use.

Cheers
    Moe
    Thank you Stanislav Petrov..... every living thing thanks you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris1VP View Post
    What modification specifically? I ordered 5 magpul g36 mags, got them today. The rifle is coming next week tho.

If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Does anybody know how SL8 performs with reloaded ammo ?

Quote Originally Posted by masterYo View Post
    Does anybody know how SL8 performs with reloaded ammo ?
    I’m sorry. I don’t know.

One of the selling features about the platform is its self regulating piston. I expect it would do as well as any semiautomatic.

I got my SL8-5 yesterday and after a few stiff drinks I modified the receiver to take G36 magazines. I think it turned out quite well.

Also, even though I preferred the looks of the SL8-4 I ordered the -5 for it’s iron sights and I’m glad I did. The irons are superb! I’ve ordered a Primary Arms 3X micro prism optic. I thought hard about the $700 carry handle optic but it’s fairly antiquated.

Still no rounds down range but I’m very happy with it - it is truly built like a tank.

I’ve noticed that some finish from the bolt carrier is already scratching and rubbing off. Looking at pictures of the German army this appears quite common. Oh-well! It’s a shooter, not a safe Queen.

Hey Jeffman which Primary Arms 3x did your order. If you have received it any issues with eye relief.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroxace View Post
    Hey Jeffman which Primary Arms 3x did your order. If you have received it any issues with eye relief.
    Primary Arms SLx 3x MicroPrism Sight

I値l have it in hand tomorrow and let you know.

The whole set up is going to the range on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroxace View Post
    No issue with eye relief. The eye relief seems quite generous. Mounting the 3X scope required removing the rear sight - something I don’t really like, as the factory irons are quite nice. Thus, I took off the 3X and have mounted a low mount red dot - it’s almost an absolute cowitness.

I’ve got a few sights laying around, as a result of Trudy’s property theft (Eotech, Acog, Mepro, Aimpoint, etc), so I’ll keep playing around to see what works best.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast