Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
    A few.

I mean if you buy an NEA lower and assemble it you won't have to have it engraved. IDK what the guy is building but in the chance that the RCMP told him every gun needs to be engraved at least he now knows Canadian ones won't.
    Good point, idk why he brought it up actually now that I think about it more. I'm building a restricted reviecer from scratch to mate an imported parts kit (already landed and in my possession).

Irregardless, I'm doing it before the deadline anyways so I won't be engraving any nonsense on it.

TBH the guy was really helpful otherwise and was willing to shoot the #### with me for a bit and field my questions regarding self manufacturing non restricted and restricted arms.

Let us clarify a few points.

The gun has to be marked 60 days after leaving CBSA or prior to sale which ever comes first, because it is an "Import stamp"

Guns manufactured in Canada are not imported so they are exempt.

B&T Ag already serial number their guns with the country code of where they are going and with the year of manufacture. All the APC start CA 17 but as this was done by the manufacture and not after leaving CBS this will not count as far as the current regulations are written.

Details as to who will enforce this, the final cost etc etc are not known at this time.

I know I sound lazy but I just don't have the time to make up a letter myself, but it would be nice if somebody gave us a copy of a letter so that we could maybe copy it and send it that way.
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
    Where you have the most armed citizens in America, you have the lowest violent crime rate. Where you have the worst gun control, you have the highest crime rate.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    Anyone have a good summary of what this will mean?
    CCFR/NFA

Add your name and address here

March 19, 2017

The Honorable Ralph Goodale, Member of Parliament
    Minister of Public Safety
    House of Commons
    Ottawa, Canada
    K1A 0A6
    Re: Recommended Solution to Concerns with implementation of Canadian Firearm Marking Scheme

I am very concerned that the “Marking of Imported Firearms (Bill C-10A) Regulations”, as currently drafted, will have a negative impact on Canadians who rely on hunting to feed their families and on sports shooters, by significantly increasing costs and reducing choice. It is also likely that it will have a disastrous impact on the Canadian firearms industry and result in the unnecessary loss of jobs and hurt trading relationships with other countries. I request that you amend the Regulations to reflect the modern firearms marking system that is already being followed in Canada.

The goal of the UN Firearm Marking protocol is to ensure every firearm can be tracked back to its point of origin. The protocol does not specify how that marking is to be accomplished, preferring to leave the entire implementation process up to individual party states. All of the information required by the UN Firearms Marking Protocol is already available quickly and easily using the existing firearm markings and the systems in place to track their movement from point of manufacture to their final destination at one of Canada’s firearm importers. Requiring the addition of markings that provide no useful information will unnecessarily add exorbitant costs to every single firearm imported into Canada.

The “make” of a firearm easily permits the identification of the “manufacturer” and the “country of manufacture” as required by Article 8. For example, a firearm with the “make” of “Browning” can easily be identified as being manufactured by Miroku in Japan.

Each firearm contains a serial number that is “unique” to that make and model of firearm. That serial number also identifies the year of manufacture. Commercial firearm manufacturer’s records are so meticulously detailed that the make, model and serial number of a specific firearm will reveal when and where the firearm was manufactured, when it was shipped and to which country, when the firearm was released from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and the name and address of the importer.

It has been conservatively estimated that implementing the Firearms Marking Regulations, will add over $200 to the price of every single firearm sold in Canada. This will have a devastating effect on the sale of firearms in Canada, and will place an onerous burden on those Canadians who rely on hunting to feed their families. In particular, it will negatively affect aboriginal hunters disproportionately.

Canada's firearm market is less than 3% of the world firearm market. Our few remaining firearm manufacturers and our firearm importers cannot withstand millions of dollars in startup costs to add unnecessary markings. Our existing firearm businesses most certainly cannot withstand an additional cost of $60 million per year to mark the 350,000 firearms imported every year.

Before implementing the Marking of Imported Firearms Regulations on June 1, 2017, I respectfully encourage the government to amend the regulations to reflect current practices which already meet all of the objectives of the UN Firearms Protocol.

Sincerely,

Put your name here

cc: ​Put the name of your local MP here
    House of Commons
    Ottawa, Canada
    K1A 0A6

Excellent TeeJay, thank you, you beat me to it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Let us clarify a few points.

The gun has to be marked 60 days after leaving CBSA or prior to sale which ever comes first, because it is an "Import stamp"

Guns manufactured in Canada are not imported so they are exempt.

B&T Ag already serial number their guns with the country code of where they are going and with the year of manufacture. All the APC start CA 17 but as this was done by the manufacture and not after leaving CBS this will not count as far as the current regulations are written.

Details as to who will enforce this, the final cost etc etc are not known at this time.
    Who says they must be done after cbsa gets them? The legislation says it must be done before a certain time, but the way I read it, it can be any time before?

An unnamed US company says they can do it for $25 a pop... care to comment? That's a lot cheaper than the $200+ everyone keeps citing....
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Well, it does say 60 days "after" leaving CBSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Who says they must be done after cbsa gets them? The legislation says it must be done before a certain time, but the way I read it, it can be any time before?

An unnamed US company says they can do it for $25 a pop... care to comment? That's a lot cheaper than the $200+ everyone keeps citing....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    This will be extra work for the majority of manufacturers... considering the size of our market they will be unlikely to worry about doing special runs with certain engravings and separating those for Canadian markets... it's possible but it's extra headache for the manufacturers...

My understanding is that this will be required on all firearms and ones made in canada will still have it but obviously it will be done at the point of manufacture.

Marking of Manufactured Firearms

2 Every individual or business that manufactures a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked, at the time of manufacture, in accordance with section 4.
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

If nothing else this shows there is a great deal of confussion and differance of opinion about these regulations and exactly how they will impact on us all. By no means am I claiming to be the expert I can only offer my opinion.

If our Government would accept a marking applied by the manufacture the cost increase to you would be from zero to minimal, B&T Ag already do it, Rob Arms and Alpharms said no problem. It all comes down to the legal interpretation of section 2(1) of the customs act, myself and any lawyer can offer our opinion on that but it is only our opinion. Just as the FRT is only an opinion, only Parliament or a court can make a legally binding ruling. The big question here is can the marking be applied before import or must it be applied after release/clearance by CBSA?