Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Modern Sporters been built in 9mm?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar

Any Modern Sporters been built in 9mm?

Curious if anyone has (or knows of anyone who has) put a MS together in 9mm? If so what components were used?

Bolt carrier group? I already have a Spikes Tactical (Glock and Colt compatible) which should be fine?

Magwell adapters that worked with the MS? Glock or Colt pattern? Pros or cons of either type? What brand of adapter? I already have both Glock and Colt mags so either type doesn't matter as far as mags go. More concerned about the magwell adapters fitment and functionality.

Buffer and spring? Regular carbine buffer spring? What buffer weight? Not much for 9mm buffers sitting anywhere right now but I do have an Odin Works AR15 Adjustable Heavy buffer which can go up to 5.8 oz. I would have to use a spacer in the rear of the receiver extension so the bcg doesn't travel as far back with the regular AR15 lenght buffer no? Is a 5.8 oz buffer heavy enough combined with the bcg which weighs ~15 oz?

NR length barrel. Got it covered if I go through with it.

And before anyone says anything, this will be built for my buddy Mike.

Thanks for any info that will help him out.
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 10-20-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

https://10mmautocombat.wordpress.com...-calculations/

on this link, they say good bolt weight for blowback 9x19 is around 1.7 lb, for 4m/s bolt speed (idk at what point, presumably initial speed).
    I would think heavier bolt would be better, but I'm not too sure.
    Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary

For adaptors the Stern Defense works well, but the caveat is you need to retrain your brain to use the push magazine adapter button. Some times I had mistakenly pushed the AR mag release with some issues during PCC matches. A positive is it is well made and solid with no slop and has last round bolt hold open built in.

Back in the day before I sold the MS I used the ODIN 9 mm buffer and 5 quarters for the spacer in my Mil Spec Carbine extension. The quarters allow you to play with the bolt cycle distance before cutting a solid piece of plastic or using the item that comes with the JP Silent capture kit.

If you do not prefer an adapter these also work.

Faxon bolt and barrel.
    Last edited by Sqr; 11-30-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    CCFR — CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by taeish View Post
    https://10mmautocombat.wordpress.com...-calculations/

on this link, they say good bolt weight for blowback 9x19 is around 1.7 lb, for 4m/s bolt speed (idk at what point, presumably initial speed).
    I would think heavier bolt would be better, but I'm not too sure.
    Thanks for the link
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Thanks for the link
    if nothing else, it's a decent reading
    Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    For adaptors the Stern Defense works well, but the caveat is you need to retrain your brain to use the push magazine adapter button. Some times I had mistakenly pushed the AR mag release with some issues during PCC matches. A positive is it is well made and solid with no slop and has last round bolt hold open built in.

Back in the day before I sold the MS I used the ODIN 9 mm buffer and 5 quarters for the spacer in my Mil Spec Carbine extension. The quarters allow you to play with the bolt cycle distance before cutting a solid piece of plastic or using the item that comes with the JP Silent capture kit.

If you do not prefer an adapter these also work.

Faxon bolt and barrel.

Thanks for the info and pictures.

Using the quarters as spacers to gauge what lenght of spacer you need to cut is a great idea.

Also am I on the right track in thinking that the P-Mag conversion kits would need blocked to 5 rounds? Cool idea and a cleaner build without the need for a magwell adapter but I think only 5 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by taeish View Post
    if nothing else, it's a decent reading
    Yes, definitely interesting. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Thanks for the info and pictures.

Using the quarters as spacers to gauge what lenght of spacer you need to cut is a great idea.

Also am I on the right track in thinking that the P-Mag conversion kits would need blocked to 5 rounds? Cool idea and a cleaner build without the need for a magwell adapter but I think only 5 rounds?
    Yes five rounds with the rivet down near the base plate if you do not cut the spine spacer. They come setup for 10 rounds and can bet set in plus five increments by trimming the spacer.

It's surprising how much force the quarters take which is enough to deform them.
    CCFR — CSSA

CGN frequent flyer angryeyebrows's Avatar
    This is a good thread. I was just thinking about this concept. That Stern adapter gets great reviews, but the mag release relocation bothers me. After 20 years of training and shooting ar15s I’ve got a lot of muscle memory built up...

Some general knowledge of the important stuff I learned while I was still building one, before May:

I used the CNA colt mag adaptor from TNA, On my rifle (ser# first 200) it fit perfectly in the lower; the upper however was a different story. At the front of the receiver behind the front pivot pin lug there is that flat area of metal and it extends into the magwell area by a few thou (literally, you can see clearly through the pivot pin pin hole but there is the tiniest sliver of metal, so you can see that it is too far forward for the pin). So if you you buy a TNA and maybe others of the same colt drop in style, you may have to sand a few thou off a 3/4" rectangle front face of the adapter from the top.

After building up the receiver into something else; I finally tried the other version of this receiver (that are made in the UK) and I can report that upper and lower fit together fine with the same conversion block, but because of the tight magwell I had to sand the sides of the adaptor a few fractions of an inch (and got it stuck inside the magwell when I became impatient, no matter, it is was planned to be permanently 9mm anyway). If you are looking for the easiest way to go with the colt style adaptor, I heartily recommend the ATRS set for being WAAAAAY less sanding.

Just remember on the buffer too. It needs to be 9mm (or A5) length (unless you want to eat bolt catches every few hundred rounds) and at a minimum 5.6oz (what is in my colt AR) weight but have heard of guys going to almost 10oz. Before finding an A5 length I was planning on making a small spacer in the rear of the receiver extension with a cut down buffer tube+plastic end piece to get the right size, but I’ve heard of guys using aluminum dowels and even stacks of quarters in the states.

Also, I had looked at using a silent (or captured) buffer system, but if you do, you will need a bolt with the weight pinned INSIDE the bolt NOT the ones that have it pinned in to the back of the bolt (like New Frontier Armoury or the ones currently sold at TNA) as they will be too short and probably bust up your lower and upper.

As for functioning, everything seems to function fine(mags drop and retain, bolt catch functions, everything fits together) on Colt/USGI style parts but without a barrel, I can’t tell you 100%

Anyway my gun (before May of course) WAS only missing a barrel so if you get a run done, let me know.
    Last edited by MACH; 10-21-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast