Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: First responders discount

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by riversrest View Post
    It was your choice to "volunteer" or have you been forced into it? Well, let's assume not.

And now you're b!itching about expenses on your gear? You did obviously not think it through when you "volunteered".

I assume, none of the "volunteers", firefighters, police officer, medics,.... have been forced into their profession or did they?

But then, they feel the urge to spill out all the good they are doing with the common's man tax money who pays them to fulfill professional duty they've choosen to do?

Where is the love for the first responding appliance repair man, the plumber to fix YOUR #### leak or the carpenter/roofer who fixes up your roof you neglected to fix in time?

Some of you so called or self-pronounced "first responders" dudes feel so entitled it's actually disgusting and disrespectful to any other profession out there.

Btw. I don't give a #### if companies give a discount to their obviously preferred customers. I just don't buy from them.
    I agree for the most part.

Being a plumber/HVAC mechanic means that a guy will never get any discounts anywhere.. even if you spend all night running from house to house to business to business getting the heat back on in the winter.

Why don't businesses ever give tradesmen any love?

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    So many jealous morons emerging with each of those threads. Thanks CGN for the ignore feature. Very useful indeed.
    That took a lot of thought eh?.

You miss the point by a country mile. Everyday folks can use the price break so much more than full time employed cops. That's the point. This bogus 'first responder' banner that keeps getting thrown around means nothing, car breaks down?, tow truck guy or gal, first responder. Sink gets blocked?, plumber first responder....Everyone who works is a first responder!. I used to work in LE, I don't anymore I'm in no way jealous of the current members.

I make a very nice living thanks and don't need a 'special needs discount'. I'm just a bit surprised that pew pew stores would offer one to the very people that would deprive us of our property given the call to do so. My current work means I have to buy all my tools and equipment at the going rate, even though I'm a 'first responder'. No one held a gun to my head to do this job either. I'm not whining about buying things I need to work.

So that sums up exactly how I feel. Please read and re read then comment if you must, don't go off on another tangent. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Castle1 View Post
    vern130 "...it's Wolverines choice on who they offer discounts to...".

Well said. The rest of your post not so much.
    Did you read it all, or just cherry pick the bit that caught your eye?. Not so much into funding legal costs eh?. Not so much into supporting gun stores eh?. You don't sound very 'gun minded' to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendX View Post

Being a plumber/HVAC mechanic means that a guy will never get any discounts anywhere.. even if you spend all night running from house to house to business to business getting the heat back on in the winter.

Wait, does the furnace chase you through the dark in January when it's -30 with a knife while it's on meth?

not saying what you do isn't a worthy career, or that you're not great at your job, but some careers are harder than others... I doubt the suicide rate in HVAC is quite as high as mil/pol/ems

Even as a volunteer with SAR/EMR I've seen some nasty stuff that most people can't shake.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vern130 View Post
    That took a lot of thought eh?.

You miss the point by a country mile. Everyday folks can use the price break so much more than full time employed cops. That's the point. This bogus 'first responder' banner that keeps getting thrown around means nothing, car breaks down?, tow truck guy or gal, first responder. Sink gets blocked?, plumber first responder....Everyone who works is a first responder!. I used to work in LE, I don't anymore I'm in no way jealous of the current members.

I make a very nice living thanks and don't need a 'special needs discount'. I'm just a bit surprised that pew pew stores would offer one to the very people that would deprive us of our property given the call to do so. My current work means I have to buy all my tools and equipment at the going rate, even though I'm a 'first responder'. No one held a gun to my head to do this job either. I'm not whining about buying things I need to work.

So that sums up exactly how I feel. Please read and re read then comment if you must, don't go off on another tangent. : )
    Sorry, it just seems to me that you are taking me for somebody who cares how you feel.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

Uber Super GunNutz RoughneckRico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlydelta View Post
    Wolverine why would you increase the discount to first responders???
    With everything going on I dont understand why companies throw themselves in the middle. So many people dislike cops and the RCMP right now it seems to be a bad choice right now.
    I will put you on the list of companies I am boycotting and will not buy from like I did AI Tactical.
    They tried it a week ago and reversed they decision because so many people contacted them with there disapproval.
    I think you answered your own question within it. As a mercahnt why would you not want to attract customers with steady income into your store and gain their loyalty for years to come.

Lets be honest, for most non First responders, most of the time you go to a local shop you can usually negotiate that 10% off with the salesperson (unless you go to a big box store). If a first responder gets 10%, he/she wont stick around as long to negotiate price, theyll be happy getting that discount, make their purchase and move on.

So from a business owners perspective, its a great idea.

And for the rest of the military/ems/cop haters out there, why are you trying to devide the gun community? When these people are not working, they are regular joes like you and me who enjoy shooting sports, hunting, etc.. Wouldnt this be a good time to have strong advocates of opposition to the gun ban within the various agencies/departments? Put aside your differences and start including people in the conversation.
    Member: CSSA, OFAH, CCFR, NFA, CTOA & NRA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Don't you get plumbing/HVAC supplies at cost? Every tradesmen I know can at least fix their own stuff at cost (their own labor, and parts at wholesale cost). I don't know a mechanic who doesn't fix his own car with parts bought at wholesale price, an electrician or a plumber who hires another electrician or plumber, or a restaurant owner who doesn't eat food from his restaurant. A lot also do some work under the table. A white collar worker in an office get a free pen once in a while if he's lucky. School teachers typically pay some expenses from their own pockets...

That being said, the whole "first responder discount" thing is ridiculous. You're right that it's just as arbitrary as "plumber discount" or "fast food worker discount". Except it's probably dumber, because cops make largely enough to pay for their toy, so by giving them a discount, retailers aren't expanding their client base. Give a discount to the guy who's a penny away from entering the market, and you actually get a new customer.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeandsnow View Post
    Wait, does the furnace chase you through the dark in January when it's -30 with a knife while it's on meth?

not saying what you do isn't a worthy career, or that you're not great at your job, but some careers are harder than others... I doubt the suicide rate in HVAC is quite as high as mil/pol/ems

Even as a volunteer with SAR/EMR I've seen some nasty stuff that most people can't shake.
    Nope.. no knives involved but the environment and work site brings it's own hazards. For example falling.

What do you think causes the most work place deaths? A meth head wielding a knife, or a person falling off a ladder?

I think a lot of my previous tradesman/construction jobs were harder than what a pol/ems would do.. I do have previous experience to compare the hazards of each field.

I have seen some unbelievable nasty stuff as a construction worker. One of the worst was a guy falling off a scaffold. No meth involved..

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to get some love as a tradesman.

For example "5% off this weekend for tradesman sale"

Nope.. no knives involved but the environment and work site brings it's own hazards. For example falling.

What do you think causes the most work place deaths? A meth head wielding a knife, or a person falling off a ladder?

I think a lot of my previous tradesman/construction jobs were harder than what a pol/ems would do.. I do have previous experience to compare the hazards of each field.

I have seen some unbelievable nasty stuff as a construction worker. One of the worst was a guy falling off a scaffold. No meth involved..

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to get some love as a tradesman.

For example "5% off this weekend for tradesman sale"

I'm not trying to start a pissing battle with you my friend. I'm a tradesmen myself. The reason more people are hurt on job sites is because more people DO those jobs.

Statistically you have a much higher chance of being injured on the job as pol/mil/ems than working on a construction site.

Also not sure how many car accidents you've been to, but as an volunteer (yes, I do in fact VOLUNTEER for my community) EMR i can tell you that many of them are totally horrific and certainly not a job for your 'average person.'
    Last edited by wakeandsnow; 07-06-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    Sorry, it just seems to me that you are taking me for somebody who cares how you feel.
    No, I'm taking you for someone that can't think. Or read. I feel just fine thanks!.