Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56x45 Range safe 62 grain Available!

Business Member Western Metal Inc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobean View Post
    With absolute all due respect, outside of being made in Canada, what is the draw to purchasing this ammo over other 62gr models which retail between $60-$100 less per thousand rounds which are coming in from the US?
    Most of that will be surplus M855 A.K.A. SS109 and/or Green Tip which contains a steel core penetrator in the center of the projectile which some ranges will not allowed to be shot at their facilities because of either safety reasons or the fact they will wear out metal backstops and targets at an accelerated rate compared to projectiles that are made of just copper and/or lead. This is a standard 62 grain FMJ projectile so no steel core only Copper and lead construction making it okay to shoot at ranges that have prohibitions on steel core ammunition.

Muzzle velocity?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobean View Post
    With absolute all due respect, outside of being made in Canada, what is the draw to purchasing this ammo over other 62gr models which retail between $60-$100 less per thousand rounds which are coming in from the US?
    A lot of ranges really will not allow the use of common 62gr M855 ammo on any of their steel packed or indoor targets, simply due to the steel penetrator in front of the lead core(or more commonly because the steel tip sticks to magnet which is the only test most of the old guys care about.) 90-some-odd% of the affordable bulk 62gr ammo from the States will be of this type. This is an alternative that will, I'd imagine, maintain the same flight pattern and velocity of M855, meaning you can train with the same ammo you may have stockpiled at any range including indoor types, without any change in zero from regular M855. The only real competition to this that I have seen(perhaps your experience differs?) is Barnaul/MFS .223 steel cased 62gr which is allegedly entirely a lead core. That said, as per a lot of Russian ammo, some ranges will still forbid using it on indoor or steel targets. Had that happen to me when trying to shoot Barnaul soft points once. Steel case stuck to the magnet, which was apparently good enough for the RSO to ban me using it.

The 250 packs have been selling well, would there be any interest in 1000 round cases?

ship to Ontario??

Quote Originally Posted by Chromey316 View Post
    ship to Ontario??
    We ship to anywhere in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Western Metal Inc View Post
    The 250 packs have been selling well, would there be any interest in 1000 round cases?

Very pleased with the initiative. The answer is YES, I'm for a few cases if assorted with a decent price break. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly pay a premium for rounds with heavier projectiles but $600/1000 does not cut it for me.

I much dislike the bulk 55 grains stuff commonly available everywhere: at 100 yd it groups almost as wide as Turdo's loud mouth in barrels with twist rates of 1:7 (my Diemacos) and 1:8 (my others). Heavier projectiles like 62 or (even better) 69 grains should appeal a lot to the Rifle IPSC and 3Gun shooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

Quote Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
    Would this be fine for shooting steel plates at less than 100 yards or is that still a no-no

The 55 gr PMC, Federal, Independence, etc. all leave a small sting to ar-500 at 100 yard. Nothing as severe as the M855 (green tips) but still. I tend to believe 62 gr will do the same. My take is simple, I shoot the hell out of my plates and replace them when NFG.

FWIW X-Metal targets says it ok to chuck lead at its steel as long as velocity is 3000 fps or below past 100 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

Quote Originally Posted by Western Metal Inc View Post
    Interested in the area of 500$ per 1000

Quote Originally Posted by UR2X3M4ME View Post
    Very pleased with the initiative. The answer is YES, I'm for a few cases if assorted with a decent price break. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly pay a premium for rounds with heavier projectiles but $600/1000 does not cut it for me.

I much dislike the bulk 55 grains stuff commonly available everywhere: at 100 yd it groups almost as wide as Turdo's loud mouth in barrels with twist rates of 1:7 (my Diemacos) and 1:8 (my others). Heavier projectiles like 62 or (even better) 69 grains should appeal a lot to the Rifle IPSC and 3Gun shooters.
    We are looking at some options to bring down the cost per round closer to $0.50.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast