Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 515171819202122232425262728293031323335 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Ok, in summary, the market will have to decide if the R18 provides enough improved ergonomics, long term dependability without parts breakage given proper maintenance, precision, and dust/grit ingress prevention to justify its price premium over existing competing firearms on the Canadian market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Ok, in summary, the market will have to decide if the R18 provides enough improved ergonomics, long term dependability without parts breakage given proper maintenance, precision, and dust/grit ingress prevention to justify its price premium over existing competing firearms on the Canadian market.
    Bingo. It is going to take a batch of initial owners who enjoy a positive experiece to talk the R18 up and get the ball rolling. I can sing the rifle's praises all day long, but my association with JR Cox renders my comments somewhat suspect. I totally get that and don't dispute it, although it is worth repeating that I have zero financial interest in the R18 and stand to gain nothing whether it sinks or floats on the Canadian market. I just happen to think that it is the best thing to come out of Canadian industry since the OIC took away our preferred platforms. That's it, that's all. The R18 isn't perfect.... yet. Continued feedback from testers and owners will get it there, of that I have no doubt.
    Mark C

Hey Bartok, in your opinion is it worth the wait to have a dust cover, or is the seal between the receiver and the bolt good enough the cover wouldn't do much?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceiferiro View Post
    Wait, you guys clean your guns ?
    protip: If you keep the cosmoline on your sks, when you shoot it a lot, it'll heat up and just clean itself :^)

I think if these can bring M&P or better reliability to the 180 platform the juice is worth the squeeze. That's the crux - the current crop of rifles in this pattern seem to be norinco grade junk (or worse). The accuracy seems good enough and the improvements seem incremental but well thought out. Time will tell.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

Is the gas block and piston rod proprietary to the R18? I’m gonna catch a lot of flak for this…. But for those of us that would be more interested in a restricted length barrel, what are the chances of swapping a 14.5 or 16” barrel with a carbine or mid length gas system and using the appropriate piston setup?

Quote Originally Posted by AskMeAboutMyBandcamp View Post
    protip: If you keep the cosmoline on your sks, when you shoot it a lot, it'll heat up and just clean itself :^)
    this tbh, all guns are self cleaning if you run them hot enough

I'm also interested in barrel change capability. Less so for making an R fun buy more so for rebarrelling into a hunting appropriate calibre.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

Quote Originally Posted by vultr View Post
    I'm also interested in barrel change capability. Less so for making an R fun buy more so for rebarrelling into a hunting appropriate calibre.
    Barnes TSX 223 Rem is nasty in a white tail tbh
    Although I dont even wanna imagine how much a box of 20 must cost now, just happy I bought a couple hundred rounds when I did lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ceiferiro View Post
    Barnes TSX 223 Rem is nasty in a white tail tbh
    Although I dont even wanna imagine how much a box of 20 must cost now, just happy I bought a couple hundred rounds when I did lol
    Not legal in alberta for big game unfortunately (needs to be 243 or bigger). I would be looking for a lightweight 6.5G build.

CCFR/NFA Member