Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fightlite MCR-100 belt fed AR15

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_En_Short View Post
    Never had a belt fed in Canada. Is there anything mechanically preventing from linking more than 5 rounds ? Are they not regular M27 links ?
    The only thing physically preventing you from linking more than 5 rounds is the threat of Trudeau haunting you... Think of the children how many will die of you're not paying attention and accidently link 6.

Im not familiar with belt fed weapons but could you leave an empty link every 5 rounds in a full belt? That way you fire 5 round, it stop, you rack the bolt to chamber the next link and here you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1970
    My grandfather never worried about the dents in his mil-surps, he would say "that dent may be all that's left of some fellow's life."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hunter View Post
    I seem to be doing it wrong. I used a Prs stock and an eotech but lots of the one I've seen here go with the elcan and adjustable ar 15 Buttstock.

Sure doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong!
    Take the red pill.

Your MCR seems kinda "conflicted". On the one hand, the heavy and bulky PRS stock suggests a DMR or GPMG type of role. On the other hand, your choice of optic screams "CQB" engagement ranges.

I agree that the Feed Cover fitment is somewhat sloppy, not lending itself to the use of high-magnification optics. My use of the Elcan OS4 thus far provides a decent compromise combining enhanced target detection and precise aiming, with a wide field of view and decent peripheral awarness. One can still apply the "Bindon" CQB aiming concept for close-range engagements using the illumination in a pinch.

Thee is nothing inherently wrong with your set-up and you can certainly do whatever you like with your firearm, variety being the spice of life, etc. I just happen to have mine set up as a lightweight and compact "assault MG", notwithstanding its semi-only function and absurd 5-round belt limit. IMO the system's light weight (approx 10 lbs with Elcan) and enhanced accuracy in comparison to every other LMG currently on the market lend themselves to such a role.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Armedsask's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ced1942 View Post
    Im not familiar with belt fed weapons but could you leave an empty link every 5 rounds in a full belt? That way you fire 5 round, it stop, you rack the bolt to chamber the next link and here you go.
    No.
    The above post is the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Armedsask". These posts are for informational and entertainment use. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Quote Originally Posted by Ced1942 View Post
    It wouldn't work with disintegrating links. The cartridge is what holds the two adjacent disintegrating links together. If you take an 11 round belt and remove the cartridge in the middle you will end up with two separate 5 round belts (and a loose cartridge).

As for "old" design cloth belts, most feed mechanisms would not be able to keep "pulling" on the belt if there is a round missing in the belt. There are probably exceptions but the vast majority of the feed mechanism pull the belt in by "gripping" on the rounds, not the belt itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    It wouldn't work with disintegrating links. The cartridge is what holds the two adjacent disintegrating links together. If you take an 11 round belt and remove the cartridge in the middle you will end up with two separate 5 round belts (and a loose cartridge).

As for "old" design cloth belts, most feed mechanisms would not be able to keep "pulling" on the belt if there is a round missing in the belt. There are probably exceptions but the vast majority of the feed mechanism pull the belt in by "gripping" on the rounds, not the belt itself.
    And it goes without saying that old cloth belts wouldn't work in that gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    At what point does belted ammunition become a "magazine" and a contravention of the law?

For example, many mil surp stores have belts hanging on the wall with more than 5 rounds being linked together. Even if they are empty casings, is that considered a magazine that is over capacity or does it need to be attached to the firearm?
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    At what point does belted ammunition become a "magazine" and a contravention of the law?

For example, many mil surp stores have belts hanging on the wall with more than 5 rounds being linked together. Even if they are empty casings, is that considered a magazine that is over capacity or does it need to be attached to the firearm?
    did you ever get an answer to that question ? I have a bunch of dummy rounds and links that would make great decoration (in my mind anyway)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Others have already said it, but it but the length of ANY linked rounds depends on when the links were designed. Pre 1946 links are ok. Post are not ok. It's absolutely ridiculous and not in the least bit logical. There are some .30-06 links that work with 7.62x51 that could be linked up into 200s, but that's it for modern cartridges. No 5.56 links can be linked beyond 5 round teasers.

As for the actual gun. Everything works great when it's brand new. I carried a brand new C9 for a couple weeks, hardly a stoppage. Now, the well worn one I carried for 3 months when I was new in the Army, that was a POS. Excellent for learning stoppage drills though...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast