Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optic Mount Systems for the Vz58: A Brief Review

Optic Mount Systems for the Vz58: A Brief Review

The Czech Vz58 is often overshadowed by the dominant Kalashnikov rifles of the Soviet Union. But the Vz58/Sa58/Cz858 rifles actually share no parts with the AK family, and have earned their place as a unique alternative.

This cold war era design has been updated to an effective modern fighting rifle that's seen action in both Iraq and Afghanistan over the past ten years. A huge part of bringing the platform up to speed is the addition modern optic systems. Iron sights are always a good back-up, but the modern era belongs to optical scopes and sights

We will look at the strengths and weaknesses of 3 different optic mounting solutions that both sport-shooters and professional forces have used to enhance their rifles.

Hand Guard Mount:
    Weight: 12 oz (340g)
    Length of pic-rail: 6.75 in (171mm)

There are a variety of rail systems for the Vz58, but for mounting optics an aluminum hand-guard will hold zero much better than a polymer one. These hand-guard replacements can mount much more than just optics: they're the best method to put grips, lights and lasers onto a Vz rifle. The top rail can be a convenient space for red-dot sights. Here you don't have to deal with ejection or eye relief, so this is one of the easiest ways to get an optic up and running. Of course the draw back is that only an unmagnified red-dot with infinite eye-relief will work in an extreme forward position like this.

Dust Cover Mount:
    Weight: 8 oz (226g)
    Length of pic-rail: 4.75 in (120mm)

The dust cover mount is the lightest, and lowest profile mount out there. By replacing the rifle's factory dust cover, you get almost 5 inches of picatinny rail that's right in front of your eye. This mount is one of the best options for compact, short eye-relief options like ACOG or Elcan optics and will work reasonably well with the factory stock, depending of course on what optic you choose. While variable power scopes can be mounted with this system, you will want to remain conscious of your ejection path. A scope that hangs too low over the ejection port could get dinged by brass, or worse: cause a mis-feed if brass bounced off the scope and back into the chamber. Another drawback to this system is that locking down the dust cover adds an extra step to disassembly and cleaning.

Side Receiver Mount:
    Weight: 12.5 oz (354g)
    Length of pic-rail: 3.75 in (95mm)

The side receiver mount is an updated version of the traditional Kalashnikov-type scope mount. In this system, a side rail is installed onto the receiver, and the arching optic mount uses a quick-detach throw lever. This makes removing optics fast and easy without losing zero. Most CSA rifle recievers are already drilled and tapped to accept a side mounting rail, but any Cz858 or Czh2003 can be drilled and tapped by a gunsmith. Traditionally these mounts sat quite high above the receiver, but the new generation of low profile mounts brings the rail down so it sits right over top of the dust cover. The only disadvantage of this system is that involves more overall mass than the other two systems, and older rifles might need updating in order to use it. Depending on the height and eye-relief of your optics, an adjustable stock can also be an advantage to make sure you get the best sight picture possible.

Between these three options, you can now add red-dots or magnified optics onto any Vz58 pattern rifle!

Our Vz58 store section...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Zahal

For the side receiver mount how does it work with that vortex scope for ejecting brass into it???
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    Zahal

For the side receiver mount how does it work with that vortex scope for ejecting brass into it???
    Secret squirrel trick: turn the "flip up" lens cap to face downwards, and watch it in at 100 frames per second. Pseudo brass deflector!

Very good idea. I may have to re think my optic situation now.
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER

Very good idea. I may have to re think my optic situation now.
    It also helps that we trust the vortex warranty. So if something crazy and bad happens, we'd still be able to take the scope back to them.

Nice post.

I am concerned about loss of zero due to removal during cleaning. Does the side receiver mount avoid this problem? Does the handgaurd mount go back to zero after cleaning and reassembly?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evolture View Post
    I am concerned about loss of zero due to removal during cleaning. Does the side receiver mount avoid this problem? Does the handgaurd mount go back to zero after cleaning and reassembly?
    Do you clean inside your hand-guard? I mean, the piston is chromium plated, but I guess you get a fine coating on it. I guess it's different for me shooting .223 compared to corrosive surplus.

The top of the hand-guard mounts with 4 screws to the bottom of the hand-guard, so I think you'll likely see some zero shift taking it off and putting it on again.

Quote Originally Posted by evolture View Post
    Nice post.

My side receiver mounts have not needed to be re zeroed after disassemble
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER

Last edited by diablo_man; 08-14-2019 at 07:04 PM.

My side receiver mounts have not needed to be re zeroed after disassemble
    Does it need to be removed to disassemble/clean the rifle?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast