Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223242636 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    The Picatinny Buttstock may be a "flash in the pan" as you said. Unable to tell the future (like you apparently can), JR had to make design decisions based on the info available too him from industry insiders. It is a done deal, so please stop posting about your personnal disdain for the Buttstock system in my review thread. It has reached the point of distraction and is effectively pointless at this juncture. You got your say (and then some), so please move on now.
    Trying to drive discussion and gain knowledge, hence why I asked the question of what else is out there. I obviously cannot tell the future, it was an opinion, but thanks for the jab. If youve been able to read passed any of the assumed criticism you see, you'd be able to see how much Im actually excited about this project.

I think a review thread is the perfect place to discuss various aspects of a rifle subject to changes and alterations, and so far Im not the only one to express it. Manufacturers wont know unless the purchase population speaks up and theyve done a great job so far discussing points brought up by the community, so kudos to them. Ive hardly been aggressive or condescending, so should I feel like engaging in further conversation about something "pointless" and "a done deal", then I will. Basically the reason for existence of forums.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    We will be going forward with the pencil barrel (including the fluting). However, I am going to try other barrels basically to see what the system is "capable" of. In my opinion, I feel all of this chatter about poor accuracy with the PMC XTac shooting under 2 MOA is simply noise at this point: The XTac is the PMC version of the M855; a NATO ball round specified to shoot in the 2 to 2.5 MOA range. The fact that Bartok5 kept it consistently under this, makes me happy. I am curious as to his findings with match and hunting ammo and will wait for his results as they are independent of anything I produce.

The point being: The rifles Bartok5 shot functioned with multiple magazines and multiple ammo selections; including the VERY loud and messy barnaul 55gr ball. You won't have to shoot premium ammo to have fun. The last round fired also produced 100% success for the bolt to catch at the rear.

While this is an expectation; sometimes reality doesn't mirror desires.

JR
    We in the gun community sometimes get distracted with chasing fractions of an inch and forget what an achievement sending pill sized projectiles 100 meters into the size of a fist is lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer infidel29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raypoh View Post
    This is like settling for the consolation prize instead of our right to the first prize. A proper AR15
    I'll take a very nice consolation prize that the government doesn't know I own vs a government owned restricted rifle any day of the week and twice on Sundays, thank you very much.
    Pump actions speak louder than words.

Do you remember how hard the Liberals fought to keep the registry?
    Now you know why. - Dexter Morgan

I should have the same Test Rifle back in my hands with strengthened Operating Springs by the end of the week, with further testing to follow. I have some different brands of ammo to try (eg. Win White Box 55 gr) as well as 3 different factory Match 77 gr loads. That ought to answer the accuracy potential question more conclusively.

Unfortunately my returned Test Rifle will not have all of the other improvements that are now part of the Production Drawings. An Adjustable Gas Block to "balance" the increased Operating Spring tension comes immediately to mind as a desirable addition.
    However, Accuracy, Reliability and Wear/Tear testing will continue regardless. I will leave it to JR Cox and SAI to conduct their promised 1000-round, time-lapse video reliability test with the Production model of the R18 Mk2.
    Looking forward to the review
    Within the Vacuum of Infinity...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobean View Post
    Trying to drive discussion and gain knowledge, hence why I asked the question of what else is out there. I obviously cannot tell the future, it was an opinion, but thanks for the jab. If youve been able to read passed any of the assumed criticism you see, you'd be able to see how much Im actually excited about this project.

I think a review thread is the perfect place to discuss various aspects of a rifle subject to changes and alterations, and so far Im not the only one to express it. Manufacturers wont know unless the purchase population speaks up and theyve done a great job so far discussing points brought up by the community, so kudos to them. Ive hardly been aggressive or condescending, so should I feel like engaging in further conversation about something "pointless" and "a done deal", then I will. Basically the reason for existence of forums.
    Honestly, the pic rear rail makes a ton of sense. There are more and more stocks that attach to that interface coming out (check out what Midwest Industries has) both folding or not as well as everything from straight up pic to buffer tube adapters (like what comes on this rifle), folding pic to buffer tube adapters and folding pic to integrated (ie no need to add the tube) buffer tube adapters. Basically you can still use any buffer tube/stock combo you want as well as use different stocks you couldn't (without the addition of an adapter) use.

The idea to use the alternative butt stock interface makes a lot of sense, with the previous points made. I think it's a wise decision.
    “When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free.”

Quote Originally Posted by rugbydave View Post
    Honestly, the pic rear rail makes a ton of sense. There are more and more stocks that attach to that interface coming out (check out what Midwest Industries has) both folding or not as well as everything from straight up pic to buffer tube adapters (like what comes on this rifle), folding pic to buffer tube adapters and folding pic to integrated (ie no need to add the tube) buffer tube adapters. Basically you can still use any buffer tube/stock combo you want as well as use different stocks you couldn't (without the addition of an adapter) use.
    Nailed it!
    Mark C

>Moaning and groaning how an adapter adds an inch on the LOP on an adjustable stock.
    Just like...move it in one more or dont be a manlet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceiferiro View Post
    >Moaning and groaning how an adapter adds an inch on the LOP on an adjustable stock.
    Just like...move it in one more or dont be a manlet ?
    Seeing as how we are still stuck on discussing the Buttstock, it is only fair that I continue to invite input from Jacobean. So by all means, Jacobean - feel free to contribute as you see fit.

Length of Pull on an firearm equipped with a Retracting Buttstock is moot if a single, quick adjustment of the Buttstock resolves the issue. What is of far more interest to me is the abillty to raise or lower the Comb Height by adjusting the height at which we mount the Stock to the Rear Picatinny Rails. This is why i think that the R18 needs a longer Rear Rail - to permit that advantageous vertical adjustment of the comb height. At least one additional slot at the top end of the Rail is an absolute must, as this is the height at which I am the most comfortable in the Wheelchair. Just my $.02
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Length of Pull on an firearm equipped with a Retracting Buttstock is moot if a single, quick adjustment of the Buttstock resolves the issue. What is of far more interest to me is the abillty to raise or lower the Comb Height by adjusting the height at which we mount the Stock to the Rear Picatinny Rails. This is why i think that the R18 needs a longer Rear Rail - to permit that advantageous vertical adjustment of the comb height. At least one additional slot at the top end of the Rail is an absolute must
    Agree 100%
    "No matter where you go - there you are"