Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Crash Test - Axis - THE FUN BEGINS

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    I'd be a little concerned that testing the stock in below freezing temps might make it unfairly brittle. Other than that, I'm betting on the gun surviving.
    Question... Why does the safety have to be functional? I agree that a safety is generally a good thing; but with a boltgun it's not really essential. It'd be like insisting that the safety works on a DAO pistol.
    I own 2 firearms that were built with no "safety" (both are safe, they just don't have a "switch-thing" that makes them unshootable)
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky

I will also be following this with interest, I have an axis in .223 aswell and i've been very impressed with it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yodave's Avatar
    Hey Jerry send it down on the bus......I'll take it up Arrowsmith so it can get a better feel for your roots.......it may help explain your thinking behind this one.

I am waiting to see your full discloser in the EE add, I have a EMT ready as I may want to own a sweet piece of CGN history, just make sure there is enough left of it to hang on my wall to remind myself of why I should never lend you a rifle..........or fishing rod........and the boat is definately out of the question........
    If you private message me and don't get a reply within 24 hours there is a good chance you've earned a spot on my ignore list

Friends don't let friends drive fords

Quote Originally Posted by Ishodu View Post
    I look forward to seeing the results of this!
    +1!!!
    Never ask Chuck Norris for a 3 hole punch!

Thanks for doing this for us Savage guys. Action looks smooth from your video, I'd love to have the same smooth function in my model 12.

Other than timing the action, is there any point in having it 'blueprinted'? I know the Savage uses a free floating bolt head unlike the Remington but still wondering if Savage can benefit from similar work.

Thanks!
    “We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.” -Charles Bukowski
    Donation to CPC: $100.19. Scrapping the registry: Priceless.

Will stay tuned!

You know, the stock I made for you will be a bolt-on affair to the 223 action. There is a rail installed so the Mpod test could be done with it.
    Robert "Bob" Fortier, Life Member ATPQ / PQRA

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfortier View Post
    You know, the stock I made for you will be a bolt-on affair to the 223 action. There is a rail installed so the Mpod test could be done with it.
    Yes, will get that mounted if the rifle survives the testing. Then we can see what this combo can do with a McGowen match barrel.

For not, I am just beating on it in orig trim just to see.

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    I'd be a little concerned that testing the stock in below freezing temps might make it unfairly brittle. Other than that, I'm betting on the gun surviving.
    Question... Why does the safety have to be functional? I agree that a safety is generally a good thing; but with a boltgun it's not really essential. It'd be like insisting that the safety works on a DAO pistol.
    I own 2 firearms that were built with no "safety" (both are safe, they just don't have a "switch-thing" that makes them unshootable)
    We live in Canada. Guns get cold. If these stocks have a tendency to fail under cold, what is the point.

As for the safety, that is important to me. As a hunter, the last thing I want is to have "parachutes" fail under the environments I will use the rifle. Things get cold, wet and very frozen up here. I will add tests specific to this circumstance and it better work or its gone.

Jerry

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by Haagen_Dazs View Post
    Thanks for doing this for us Savage guys. Action looks smooth from your video, I'd love to have the same smooth function in my model 12.

Other than timing the action, is there any point in having it 'blueprinted'? I know the Savage uses a free floating bolt head unlike the Remington but still wondering if Savage can benefit from similar work.

Thanks!
    HD, I have never bothered to blue print a Savage action and don't see the need anytime soon. The way Savage makes these actions helps to ensure things are in alignment - straighter actions in general then other makes. Then the bolt head takes up any slop in the system and ensures a tight lock up. The simplicity and genius of this is missed by a lot of shooters. The fact that thiis also makes building the rifle a snap is just more pluses for the manf.

Bolt timing will go a very long ways to make your action run smoother, easier and faster.

With a general look of the Axis, we can say mine is made even BETTER then the generic Savage/Stevens. Savage tooled up to pump these rifles out to make a bottom basement price point. In doing so, many steps have been optimised AND simplified BUT because all is done on good machinery, the end results ends up being better in some respects.

The raceway is true and the bolt glides back and forth like it is on bearings. It is tighter then on a Savage which feels wonderful but may make it less likely to survive my dirt test. A bit of break in was needed to get the bolt and receiver to merge but now, it runs smooth as silk.

Looking at just the receiver, there are features that really work to make the Axis a superb product. The way they redesigned the internal parts of the bolt really made me sit up. Minimalists, lighter, more functional, more durable - arguably BETTER.

The trigger way better then the Stevens in function and weight of pull but I thnk the accutrigger is the best from this manf. Safety is also nicely packaged and we will see how this new design stands up to abuse.

Unfortunately, Savage decided to add quirky and odd looking bits like the bolt handle and goofy recoil pad (super material though) which 'cheapen' the design. If you can look past the plastic "shell", there is very exciting positives in the design. I doubt you will find a better STEEL center feed mag in a production rifle on the market today.

Ruger has done a similar thing with their American but kept the high end esthetics and appreance. This is a great looking rifle that runs and feeds as good as anything, factory trigger that is very good, fit and finish equal to much more expensive factory rifles. I will do a report on this likely in Jan when a brake can be added. I hope this rifle shoots as well as it looks.

But back to the abuse.

Jerry