Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Shot show: Shooting the Tikka Arctic Range Rifle at 525 yards with open sight.

Snow-White Le Mod

2017 Shot show: Shooting the Tikka Arctic Range Rifle at 525 yards with open sight.

Today was the Media Range Day at the 2017 SHOT Show. Fremen and I got to try out the future Canadian Ranger Rifle and, have to say, I was very impressed.

This rifle is very well made, oozes quality. Fit and finish are great too. But it doesn't feel like a poser; it really feels like a well-made tool ready to work.

The model we were handed only had iron sights. Great peep system, with a 5-position "cup", calibrated from 100 to 500 (yards?). The sight picture offered by that peep combined with a very good front sight was very clear, easy to put on target (even for my poor old eyes...).

How well did it perform? We shot a few rounds starting at 300 yards, at IPSC's steel silhouette targets, then worked our way to 525 yards. I wish I could say that I did very well, but let's just say that Fremen gave me a lesson in iron sight marksmanship. All in all, I was very impressed with this rifle. Can't find anything bad to say about it, and it deserves praises. The trigger was a little light for my taste, but that is a personal prefence.

Last edited by greentips; 01-17-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

What can I say that Louthepou has not already said.

I was surprised by this rifle. Although I do run Iron sights often never almost never beyond 200. So being able to get rounds on target at 525 was awesome.
    The rifle itself is very well built. I found it very solid and you get the feeling that this was a rifle built to last.

The trigger was light as mentioned ( would guess around 2.5 to 3 pounds, I doubt it will remain this way. The sites we very nice. (No pictures yet will post once I have them). One failing of the sights was that it is hard to read the range markings on the drum, this would be easily fixed with a bit of paint. Fit and finish were very nice. The bolt was extremely smooth.

It was interesting to not that we were told that most people choosing to shoot it were Canadian.

The Vender's did put Louthepou and I to a small match or challenge of some off hand standing sending rounds 1 round at 100 and 2 at 200.

I will leave the outcome for Louthepou to comment on.

Sight pictures

More of the rifle

Last edited by Fremen; 01-18-2017 at 01:17 AM.
    That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there!

George Orwell

Snow-White Le Mod
    Ok, ok, here. We were asked to take three shot, from standing position; one at 100 yards, two at 200. Fremen hit the small "C.A.S. cowboy" steel target, three for three. I only managed one, at 200 yards. I got my ass kicked!
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer wayupnorth's Avatar
    hows it compare to the Ruger Scout?

i ask because i have a Ruger Scouts and ill be getting one of the Ranger guns next year (so they tell us) just wondered how they compare, cause they sure look the same!
    Things either are what they appear to be;
    or they neither are, nor appear to be;
    or they are, and do not appear to be;
    or they are not, and yet appear to be.

I was able to take in the ATAC contractors range day yesterday. Shot out to 1000 yards with a Desert tech 338 and was able to ring the steel. Lots of full auto and suppressed toys to run and belt fed goodness. The grenade launchers were amazing as well.
    Sadly no pictures or video were allowed .....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    What makes these rifles so expensive?
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by louthepou View Post
    Ok, ok, here. We were asked to take three shot, from standing position; one at 100 yards, two at 200. Fremen hit the small "C.A.S. cowboy" steel target, three for three. I only managed one, at 200 yards. I got my ass kicked!
    I can relate, it's our old aging eyes. The front is focused but the rear is blurry / multiples. Ha ha

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    Do we know what kind of iron sights are one these beauties? Can I order those sights directly?

Of course the fit is nice, it is Finnish!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
    hows it compare to the Ruger Scout?

i ask because i have a Ruger Scouts and ill be getting one of the Ranger guns next year (so they tell us) just wondered how they compare, cause they sure look the same!
    At more than double the price it better be quite a bit nicer. Looks like a sweet rifle though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast