Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My PRS Learning Journey - Share here...

In addition to some tripod training, I spent the last two evenings putting a portable barricade together. It splits apart into the 2 leg sections, the small box, and the big box. The diagonal cross pieces can be moved and oriented in any port, as can the rope. Ill also have some 12x12 sheets of plywood cut with a 6" circle and some small "slats" which can be placed over any port. Should be a pretty flexi

My plan is to use this in the basement to practice the positioning, and then throw it in the car and head to the range for some .22 and full-size practice. Overall, this this thing cost me about $12 and a couple of hours worth of planning, cutting, and assembling. Seems very sturdy, but the real test will come once I drop a rifle on it and start loading rifle against the barricade.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    Here is my setup for training..... And it's all about the training.... just like in Service Rifle and / or any other shooting discipline, these are fundamental principles that can/will be carried over. It's that simple.

Check out all that brass on the ground. Start by finding out which (start from the cheapest and work your way up the $$ scale) Then buy a shztload of ammo (above 1K ) in bulk packages. For me it's the CCI Stinger ammo that boast a velocity of 1640 fps with a 32 grain hollow point booolit.

Use a recycled peanut butter jar. First reason, you got lots of them already. Second reason, they are clear and see through. Third reason, the lid is a most handy dish for holding the .22 LR rounds in front of you or near you and they won't fall off the bench or roll around on the floor.

Label your peanut butter jar with a torn off portion of the packing label/bulk box/cardboard container...

Another view of the rig, and peanut butter jar. The nice thing about prescription bottles, you can always repurpose them for our/your shooting hobby....

My trainer simulates my hunting rifle, My Winnie Model 70 .308 Featherweight; it's a CZ 455 American Synthetic... AND I can go out and hunt gophers in Southern AB with this miniature sniper rifle...

Now you can have a close up look of the PIG Saddle (stamped steel) that's a budget HOG Saddle (milled aluminum) and a bit more expensive for the aluminum HOG Saddle. I placed the tensioning knob on the support hand (left side for me, I'm right handed). The pan adjustment and ball tension screws are on my strong hand/ right hand side since I'll rarely use them.

And YES, that is a Leupold Mark4 LR 3.5 x 10 x 40mm scope on this training rig. How come such great optics on a .22 LR Trainer? Because I can obtain the best and clearest feedback when I'm shooting/training at 50m and 100m. I'm not fighting the knobs on a price point/ bargain basement/ super cheap Zhinese scope. I need to know that when I miss the bullseye, it's me alone and NOT my equipment!

And of course steel ARMS 22 rings of which I have multiple sets here at home. Why ? Spare parts that's why. With many sets of ARMS 22 rings, I have spare screws in case any of them crap out the week before the NSCC National Matches in Ottawa... been there, done that!

And of course, now you can see a close up of the ball head by Feisol for $160 USD from www dot hogsaddle dot com

Notice the ball head tension is on MY left side....

Pan tension knob on my right side (of course I'm looking up range)

Now, here is my training regimen.....

I like to use a BINGO Dabber from the Dollar Store, it's almost an inch across, easy to use, never dries out and lasts me many years. Yup, it's a small target but sure is easy to spot your hits/holes....

I launched 10 to 11 rounds at each red dot.... Some of the groups are large but as you can see I've made progress. I started out top left, moving across to the right. Then working my way down, row by row.

The best groups are along the bottom and I was really enjoying the "getting the hang" of this tripod and ball head and PIG Saddle assembly....

Here is a view of what I see from the sitting position, or behind the tripod assembly. You can see the largest ball head tension knob on my support side (left side) and also the PIG Saddle tension knob on my support side, too. That way, the biggest knobs are readily accessible when my strong hand is supporting the rifle during the mounting and dismounting process.

Notice the 'minor' knobs like the Quick Detach plate are on the opposite side (strong/right side) since they are not as critical to me, hey, it's my setup, you go ahead and deliberately set up YOUR tripod rig the way that works for YOU. There is no RIGHT / Wrong way. It's gotta be good for YOU and only YOU....

May I ask why you have the tripod legs super low and then the column extended so high? I find that extending the centre column greatly increased the amount of wobble in the system.

I don't have that particular tripod so maybe it does not have the intermediate positions on the legs for a nice low seated position.

CGN Regular
    I just ordered a Vanguard SBH-100 ball head for my Manfrotto tripod. Rated for 22Lbs so it should hold up my rifle just fine. I'll get some pics up when it arrives.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
    May I ask why you have the tripod legs super low and then the column extended so high? I find that extending the centre column greatly increased the amount of wobble in the system.

I don't have that particular tripod so maybe it does not have the intermediate positions on the legs for a nice low seated position.
    I'm still in the experiment stage playing with that center column height. And my .308 needs more handloaded ammo to go and practice with. So yeah, I'll develop another height with the center column minimized and then go from there! It's all good...

Business Member
    It's been almost a month since I was an RO at the Meaford LR Steel Challenge (Stage 1 & 9 Tank Traps)

Here I am overlooking the shooting range... some white painted steel out there in the tall grass... Thanks to Ryan-Mcle for the wonderful chance to volunteer!

And the view from my workspace on Sunday / Day 2 of the MLRSC shoot....

Here are some observations I want to share... in no particular order...

* Show up in your winter beater, not your summer BMW/Benz/Porsche/Audi (my experience as a ski instructor and lifteee can predict the day's outcome)

* squad up if you can with people you know, know well, willing to help coach/ share insights/share experiences/ share wind calls/spot for you

* in your squad , set up a common scope that scans your stage targets so that experienced shooters among you can spot, write notes on corrections/ wind calls/wind changes

* in your squad area, ask around which bags/tripod / gear/bipod will/would/can/may be correct for your body/rifle/barrel/barrier/tire wall/tank trap/sloped roof line

* observe the experienced shooters before and after your turn to shoot... what works for them?

* Start a page on the back of your shooting notebook... "Stupid Shzt I did, and will strive not to repeat!" By writing notes down, you crystallize the idea in yer head. Do I sound like your High School teacher, yet?

* This game can/will/may/is gear intensive or maybe not. Learn from the expert shooters. I've found many if not all of them are most happy to share their insights (while relaxing of course, not before they have to shoot)

* Shop wisely. Buy once, cry once. Buy quality gear. Support local PRS/PR gear providers/sponsors since they endured YOUR journey at one time.

* Compare some bags... find the overlap in their design and employment. Experiment/shoot many matches and streamline your gear/routine/habits/winning ways/shortcuts

* Discover what works for YOU, and only YOU.

* Setup another page in your shooting log book: I Always... These become the habits that get you going on the journey to the podium. For example: I always pee before the match... I'm not joking... BTDT... I always open my ammo box and grab my sighters from the rear of the box, and organize my 10 rounds in the front/first ROW.

* On the barrier/roof line/tire wall: support bag DOWN flat, level it, rifle on the bag; Balance it... then load-ready... sight picture. The last thing you want is the support bag to shift loose and fall. Now you have a loaded-readied rifle waving around as you reach/retrieve your fallen support bag. I've seen this too many times.

* Martial artists: You know what's coming...I'm a TKD BB...I breathe for every movement (slowly or quickly) I make... Approach the rest/barrier/position and breathe. Support bag on and breathe. Rifle up and balancing and breathe. Magazine (load - ready) and breathe. Support hand dial dope or brace scope and breathe... Send it.

* Ask your RO for any clarification when they ask you, "Shooter, do you understand the course of fire?"

* Repeat/Say back the correct sequence of targets for each barrier/tire/roof line/table top so that you are confident (reinforce confidence in the RO who is watching you)

* Speak Engrish (okay, I can tell this one...since many of you know my heritage)

* Spend the night before reading the course of fire / distances/ colours while you are sitting on the crapper/shztter because you can concentrate the MOST!

* Organize your shooting ruck with items you will need for every/any situation possible: lighter, chapstick, insect repellent, blade, small hammer, screwdriver set, spare parts, lubricant, KY Jelly, Grease syringe, rags, lens cloth, parachute 550 cord, hand sanitizer, spare pens, pencils, Black Sharpie, Grease pencil for your armboard, support bags, correct sling, carabiner or some sort, shooting log book, more spare pens/sharpie, first aid kit with "Hello Kitty" bandaids.

* Hang around and learn from the Ambassadors (teams, sponsors, sponsored shooters, reps). Emulate their positive behaviour because ONE day, YOU will be there along your journey

* Treat other shooters with respect for their potential behaviours (good karma) and help all the rookies around you... makes YOU a better shooter... learn from the mistakes of other shooters and feel compassion for them. We've all been there

* Let your impacts do the talking, avoid all the shooters whose egos write cheques their abilities cannot cash....

* Deliberately keep a low profile, and let your situational awareness take it all in pre and post shoot

* Get to and shoot at a Project Mapleseed event near your local gun club/city/province/area code. These events are fundamental to ALL of your shooting and the skills are transferrable. Yeah, I shot the entire day with a .22 LR rifle, My CZ American Synthetic 455 and I learned so much more in that one day, that I did along my entire 30 year journey. You see, they have all the main teaching points summarized and absorbing all that they have to teach me was like drinking from a fire hose (2" unlined to be exact) and I was so excited my head was spinning. Yes I qualified for a "Rifleman's" Patch 3 times our of the 4 MQT's allowed. These superhero instructors are talented and know their stuff. Take advantage of their experience, lessons, and insights. More on this later. This Mapleseed event needs it's own thread.

* Okay, a couple of pictures from my Project Mapleseed experience:

Okay, I gotta shower now. Will get back with more insights

Cheers,

Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 11-22-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Business Member
    Okay, here I am training with my .22 LR CZ455 American Synthetic once again and this time I arranged the legs so that the center column can remain as short as possible (future recoil mitigation in the sitting position).....

Have you noticed the little plastic ziploc "dime bag" with the extra allen keys? Yeah, keep them handy in all your range bags/tool boxes so that they are there/present when you and your range buddies need to tighten up some scope rings/bases/ gadgets....

In the next picture, you will notice my ammo is parked / stored inside a peanut butter jar. Many of you will know my OCD affinity for organizing my gear using recyclable and weather proof containers like peanut butter / salad dress / bottled fruit jars/containers... Then the lid allows you to freely access your .22 cartridges without having them rolling all over the table top or floor!

I also switched up my optics to a Falcon Optic from Frontier Firearms... It's a 5 x 25 x 56mm FFP (first focal plane) with Milradian adjustments and reticle. I need to work with this system and step up my game....

Train with a .22 LR folks, .308/6.5 / 6 x 47/ .223 ammo can be expensive when you train regularly!

Cheers,

Barney

Have had my best year so far shooting PRS (in the top 50 going into the Finale) and ironically I have had the least amount of live fire practice this year compared to previous years. I have only been able to shoot past 100 yards 3 times since last year's Finale in January outside of a match. There is only a 100 yard indoor range locally. I have not had the chance to check out any of the longer ranges since they are 2+ hours away and things have been busy since moving. All of my practice has been in my basement shooting off of my PRS barricade at 11 feet from the wall with my IOTA. So, I can say that dryfiring really IS valuable practice.

I wouldn't be too worried if you don't have a tripod set-up. While they are nice, one will be supplied in a match if it is really required. I haven't used the tripod leg support trick in any matches this year. Also, you don't need a ton of bags. I can't remember the last time I used a big pillow bag. I brought it to every match, but didn't use it once. Haven't been using the barricade block much at all either. I have been using my SAP Solo Sac almost exclusively, and the Game Changer a little. I think I could probably run either of them with nothing else. The Game Changer is a little nicer if you have an edge that is plywood thin, but the Solo Sac does everything it does in pretty much every other situation and it works nicely as a rear bag. I would throw either over the tripod head in favor of anything that clamps my rifle in, personally.

I have found the RAT rail bipod atachment on my MPA chassis really useful in a lot of situations. The rapid adjustment allows it to be re-configured on the clock and it doesn't interfere with the bags like the Trinity Rail did.

Still shooting my 6x47L Surgeon in my MPA chassis with my old Premier Reticles scope. All of it more beat-up than ever. Anyone that tells you the stuff in "What the Pros use" is all given to people for free doesn't have a clue, btw... Expect to see an increase in 6 Dashers and 6.5x47L this year, and a few new wildcats.
    Last edited by kombayotch; 11-22-2017 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    All of my practice has been in my basement shooting off of my PRS barricade at 11 feet from the wall with my IOTA.
    How picky is the IOTA on setup distance? I know its set up for a 10ft focus...but if im 8-12ft (or more) is it still usable and would you need to use the parallax knob to change the focus?

good from 10-12 ft. You do need to play with the parallax knob to adjust for changes in position on the barricade, but I see this as an advantage since you need to do it in real life anyway. So, it's part of practice.

Was going to pick up the IOTA (Indoor Optical Training Aid) off of Chuck on SnipersHide, but since he is not setup to take payment online (online US cash through the mail), I went out and got my own made for a fraction of the cost. As with the IOTA, this lens fits inside a butler creek cap and brings the focus down to between 10-14 feet (which is 1/3 of the minimum focus I can achieve with my S&B).

Once I had the optical bits sorted out, I then began converting a few PRS match books I have laying around to scale the targets to the reduced distance (i.e....a 12" Diamond at 572m in a match, translates to a 2mm target at 12ft). I size the targets in photoshop and then aim/dryfire at the computer screen. I am able to practice dialling or holding for elevation or windage, target transitions, etc... The re-sized virtual targets will give you the same sight picture as if you were shooting at full distance in a match.

I plan to use this over the winter for prone and barricade dry firing, as well as improving my speed for the 2018 PRS season.

<any out of focus areas are from taking an iPhone pic through the scope>
    <The last photo is from the Troop Line Stage in Meaford last year>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast