Thread: Simple fix for Savage MkII 22lr mags

Supporting Dealer

Simple fix for Savage MkII 22lr mags

Simple fix to the Savage MkII 22lr mag problems. My main mags were starting to fall apart from use so decided to try an experiment to fix them. So far it has worked great.

A bit of epoxy steel on the spine. When starting to go solid, inserted back into the rifle (a bit of shoe polish or light oil in the mag well will help keep the mag from sticking). Check bolt close and with dummy rds, confirm cycling. Remove and insert a few times to make sure it works. Let it set.

Name:  IMG_3027.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  31.5 KB

The fit will be very tight so with small files and sandpaper, remove bedding from the sides and spine area until the mags insert easily. Check often and remove in small quantities. Once cured, the epoxy steel does file/sand nicely.

Name:  IMG_3028.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  34.4 KB

I use the fast cure twin syringe Lepages epoxy steel found most any hardware store. At Cdn Tire, there is a version from Permatex that works well too.

Name:  IMG_3030.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  42.5 KB

If you want an OEM look, you can fill and sand smooth then give it a coat of paint... But, I am not that fussy and unfinished will make it easier to spot any cracks if they develop.

For hunting, I would want them to not drop free just in case you hit the release while in the field. You can decide how much effort to pull out mag.

For rimfire PRS, I have set them to insert easily and drop free. This allows for very fast mag changes without fear of jams due to poor mag alignment.

I have essentially bedded the mag to the mag release lever which aligns the mag and controls its orientation in the action.

By bedding, you eliminate the excess rocking and twisting due to the amount of slop in the mag spine. This can allow the front of the mag to dive when closing the bolt and that cause jams.

Now the mags lock up positively and feeding is at 100%.. even with mags that were not reliable at all. Because of the CRF in the Savage bolt, you can run this as fast or as slow as you want.

As a bonus, the bedding compound should help keep the mag sides from opening due to the rivets loosening. The whole mag really feels solid now with no squishing

I have done some drop tests from the rifle and so far the epoxy steel is sticking well and holding. No replacement for welding but that is not readily available.

So a simple fix that now has my Savage running like a champ

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Thanks Jerry. Going to try this. Any suggestions on an adult-sized mkll stock upgrade?
    "In any moment of decision, the best thing to do is the right thing, the second best thing is the wrong thing and the worst thing to do is nothing" Theodore Roosevelt

Neat! Thanks for sharing Jerry! I have the same issue with a few of my older MKII mags and been wondering how to fix them.

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by ProPat690 View Post
    Thanks Jerry. Going to try this. Any suggestions on an adult-sized mkll stock upgrade?
    Can help with MDT products

Boyds is another option

Jerry

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by tjoke View Post
    Neat! Thanks for sharing Jerry! I have the same issue with a few of my older MKII mags and been wondering how to fix them.
    Hope this helps you resolve.

Let me know how it works out

Jerry

Thanks. I have two older Lakefield MkIIs and I often have to push up on the bottom of the mag to get them to feed, particularly with the two oldest ones. I'll have to try it. Hope it corrects the problem.

Supporting Dealer
    Position the mags on the release so that you have proper functioning. Once cured, you have 'shimmed' the mag to suit your actions needs and you should see 100% function

Good luck.

Jerry