Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Made, 5R Guardian and Match Series barrels available now

CGN Ultra frequent flyer propliner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Ridge Armourer View Post
    We will be running 6.5 Grendal barrels in November. Not sure if we are going to do 18.6" or 20" but they will be in our fluted, lightweight SPR and ultra-lightweight Pencil profiles. Pricing will be the same as our 223 Wylde barrels.
    I'll take an 18.6" lightweight fluted stainless Grendel barrel.

Going to run a batch in November. FYI. If you cant wait that long, True North Arms has some good quality 7.62x39 barrels in stock.
    If you cannot wait I have purchased one from Ar15performance.com along with a super bolt that has to be the most accurate AR barrel I have had and that is saying something as I have had many.

CCFR — CSSA

Are all your barrels fluted? Do you offer any that are not? I might be interested in .223/5.56 and 308/7.62 in stainless bead blasted either 20" or 18.6", in a heavy profile.
    CCFR
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Way to go! Im happy to hear you hunts have been successful.

By the looks of my poll in a different thread, its looking like 338 Fed will be coming very soon. Likely going to run them January.
    nice, that is good news

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSG69 View Post
    Are all your barrels fluted? Do you offer any that are not? I might be interested in .223/5.56 and 308/7.62 in stainless bead blasted either 20" or 18.6", in a heavy profile.
    Yes all of our barrels are SPR profile and fluted other than the Pencil profile.

Why are you not wanting fluting? A fluted barrel is just as rigid as a non-fluted barrel of the same profile.

Yes all of our barrels are SPR profile and fluted other than the Pencil profile.

Why are you not wanting fluting? A fluted barrel is just as rigid as a non-fluted barrel of the same profile.
    I don't like fluting...
    CCFR
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    A fluted barrel is just as rigid as a non-fluted barrel of the same profile.
    So you believe that a fluted barrel and non fluted barrel of the same OD with all other variables being equal have the same rigidity? You believe that removing that metal has no effect on the ability to be bent when a force is applied?

Would you also believe that fluting is some kind of magical process that defies physics?

Serious question...

Or might it be true that a more accurate representation of the rigidity of a fluted portion of a barrel would be the average OD of the inside of the flutes and OD of the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    Or might it be true that a more accurate representation of the rigidity of a fluted portion of a barrel would be the average OD of the inside of the flutes and OD of the barrel?
    I don't think so. The stiffness would be much closer to the outer diameter because of a structural effect. Imagine an h-beam, it's much stiffer than a steel rod of the same weight and lenght.

So for a given weight, the fluted barrel will always be stiffer and faster cooling. You can dislike the look or extra cost but the physics laws are respected.

You are right that for a given diameter, the non-fluted barrel must be a little stiffer.
    But when weight and accuracy are both important factors, fluting is an excellent solution. Better known and cheaper than carbon fibers wrap.
    Last edited by wildphil24; 10-09-2018 at 12:09 AM.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by wildphil24 View Post
    I don't think so. The stiffness would be much closer to the outer diameter because of a structural effect. Imagine an h-beam, it's much stiffer than a steel rod of the same weight and lenght.

So for a given weight, the fluted barrel will always be stiffer and faster cooling. You can dislike the look or extra cost but the physics laws are respected.

You are right that for a given diameter, the non-fluted barrel must be a little stiffer.
    But when weight and accuracy are both important factors, fluting is an excellent solution. Better known and cheaper than carbon fibers wrap.
    You are correct, I thought about that after I posted, the end result would be somewhere between what I said(average OD) and a non-fluted barrel and would be more rigid than a non-fluted barrel of the same weight.

However it still stands that the statement from MRA is false. A fluted barrel isn't as rigid as a non-fluted barrel of the OD.
    Last edited by JayCarver; 10-09-2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling

CGN Regular
    Can you please make a 18.6″ 5R PENCIL BARREL mid-lenght gas system in 308 , 6.5 creed and 243 ?