Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

Rick you certainly made my day. Love my MH and was on the fence about getting a MV. But you've definitely changed my mind. Looking forward to the fine work you and your staff have ahead of you. If you need capital put up a general pre-order and we are in.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer riptide's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy78 View Post
    Well this is awesome, I think I'd rather wait for one of these ATRS Sporter Rifles than drink the macdef koolaid.
    I'll just be getting both and deciding which one I like from there. I already seem to collect guns like they're matchbox cars... no reason not to do the same here. And if I find that I end up using one significantly more than the other (like my T97 vs Tavor), I'll just sell the unused one to fund something else.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    The only ways to reduce costs is to have them made offshore by the tens of thousands, not a likely scenario as the market in Canada in minute.
    Not pay the machinists or rent on our building, don't think that will go over well.
    Make them out of recycled paper, not terribly durable though.
    Not bother at all.

All joking aside.

What Canadians just don't get is the market in Canada is minuscule, so high volume production just is not possible. This is why the big companies don't even bother to with Canada when it comes to designing and producing something to fit our stupid laws. With the exceptions of a few handgun makers who are occasionally willing to make a 4.2" barrelled hand gun, I can't think of a single large gun maker who has offered anything that is truly ARish and made specifically for the Canadian market.

A friend of mine owns a part of 1 of the high end gun club/stores in Scottsdale. They sell more guns from their shop in 1 month than we do in a year and sell more ammo in a month than probably all Canadian gun stores do in 6 months together. Availability of full auto may play a part in this?

I can't remember the numbers exactly but seem to recall there are more people in Montana, a sparsely populated state than there are PAL holders in all of Canada.
    And more SKS rifles have been made than the entire population of Canada, so the economies of scale just don't work with a tiny sales base.

Keep in mind too that ALL of the various Canadian NR rifles are not worth a dime in the USA as AR's don't have restrictions there and Canadian made AR style rifles on the whole are NON importable into the USA which kills any potential for sales from the beginning.

IF the market was there to sell even several thousand rifles rather than several hundred, which is really what the Canadian market will support, the numbers would change to a degree. Unfortunately this is not the case for firearms sales in Canada.
    The simple fact is that Canada is an expensive country to produce things in as well as live in. The higher wages and taxes support our standard of living as well as our "free" medical system have a cost, and that cost is that Canadian made is more expensive due to our higher cost of living when compared to our southern neighbors.
    Best explanation I’ve heard of firearms costs in Canada. Sounds like I better call and order my MV Grendel upper today before you guys get too busy Here’s hoping it comes in time for some coyote hunting next spring. We just got a new credit card, that meanss I can afford a new gun, right?

Sounds like quite a dilemma. Add features or save $50 or $100 bucks per receiver set to try to optimize your sales from 300 to 350 sets. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Rick, I know I have been a thorn in your side (probably more than I should have been) previously about the trigger options on the Modern series, and I apologize for that.

But with this anouncement, you better believe I will be looking to purchase a couple MV-S reciever sets which would certainly be preferable over the MDI SLR's odd means of mating upper to lower amoung other things.

I am hopefull you will also consider doing a MH-S model as well.

I had heard this spring from a little birdy that this project was in the shop talk phase, but that you were not very receptive to moving forward on it at the time. I am certianly glad that thats not the case anymore, and look forward to adding a few more finely crafted ATRS rifles to the safe, soon they shall out number the IWI rifles.

Any chance we can see a teaser for the new MV-S?
    No plans to do this with the MH , at least at this time.

At this point I am reluctant to offer photos or a CAD drawing as I feel it will help our competition seeing as they appear to still be deeply in the final design stages.
    Once we have an FRT that will change but for now envision a Modern Varmint with standard AR rear charge handle in so far as appearance goes. Think of NO BOLTS or SCREWS to hold the upper and lower together just as both our MH and MV are currently are.

On another note many of you will notice your reply's are gone. I have gone through the entire thread and am trying to keep it as short as possible so at the risk of offending someone deleted reply's that did not contain pertinent information or questions that need an answer. This is not meant to slight anyone, simply a way that both new readers don't get lost and to help me keep answering or posing questions in a short and manageable thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    Don't care about a forward assist myself, but lefty does need an effective way to keep brass off the right side of his head.

This has my attention. The other product isn't due for months, so I'm not about to lock in a pre-order for anything until the day I'm ready to build. Looking forward to seeing what options are there on that day. Trigger pack compatibility is a nice plus too, as I've come to like such.
    At the moment the plan is to employ the shell deflector we make for the MV. It is very effective at directing the spent casings out at between the 1 and 2 o'clock position.
    The reason for us planning, at least at this time to use the MV deflector is it will allow us to save costs on the upper but in material and additional design/programming.
    The less time we have to spend re-inventing things the less the finished product will cost.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Any way you can put the serial on the upper instead of the lower like an AR?
    It is worth considering but the the onus would then be upon the end user to get the completed upper verified and registered. I can see that as a potential problem for the feds given that this project is aimed at the DIY crowd, we could run into resistance from the SFSS/RCMP as it is a total break from tradition on every semi auto we manufacture.

To muddy the waters by having a restricted version along with a NR version just seems potentially suicidal. I know there are semi autos where the serial number is on the upper, but is it worth really pulling the tiger tail and hope, or leave him sleep by simply submitting an existing design that already has a desired legal classification but would be considered as only a slightly modified model?

Personally I think the other guys may get their privates slapped for essentially encouraging folks to purposefully thwart the laws in a work around of how the laws were intended, despite being poorly worded and creating a loophole. It concerns me that if parts of the firearms community keep pushing the envelope the backlash could be draconian given the love of re-interpretting and re-writing the laws the RCMP tends to have.

Having been in this industry for a very long time and invested in the firearms community for over 40 years I have seen and experienced the government in action in regards to firearms. Frankly I think if we push too hard, knowing that the feds now account to no-one and have more power it seems than the elected government thanks to the turd who handed over absolute power to the RCMP when it comes to guns, scares me a bit of how they will react. I do not condone this but am a realist basing my thoughts on past experiences.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 09:06 PM.

BANNED
    Cool, nice to see competition!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Agreed. The shell deflector on my MV is very effective. No need to change it.

As far as a forward assist goes, the more I think about it the less I find it necessary. The MV doesn't have it and it functions perfectly fine.

If you incorporate a forward assist into the new design it will only result in additional costs with little to no additional benefit.

I think we only have a hard on for the forward assist because 1, it looks cool and 2, it is an ar-15 feature and we are not allowed to take ar-15's out to the back fourty. We always want what we have been told we can't have.

I can live without it if it helps to keep costs lower thus making it more affordable to more people. The more of these that you can put into people's hands the better it is for all of us.
    Even Stoner didn't want the FA on the AR. It was retardedness by the US Army who demanded it to be there, since they were paying the bills he obliged. His argument is you should be able to push the bolt in without a forward assist with your thumb and if you did actually need one to force the bolt in, odds are there is something stopping the bolt to go in and you may just make it worse. Hunters in the US have found that the FA helps as you can slowly drop the bolt using the charging handle and then use it to get the bolt into chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Not a fan of being a Canadian? The more we have to mess with things the more it will cost. The UN marking regulations as well as the Canadian have to be adherred to.
    The leaf on our rifles and products is our trademark.

We are expecting to be the same price range as out AT15 uppers and lowers at about $950.00 for a stripped upper and lower. BUT at this point we have not established an exact price point, nor whether to use 6061 or 7075 material as that also effect price. It seems everyone wants cheap cheap cheap, so we are wrestling with the material dilemma.
    I probably have no clue what I'm talking about but the solution for materials could be as simple as offering the 7075 as an extra option and keep the 6061 as a budget option. you already have the layout on your website for such a thing. as far as I know your machining process should differ to much if at all, so it's not like you need to spend time redesigning and creating new G-Code.
    Keep Calm and Chooch On

CCFR Member