Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Surplus 8mm Mauser Ammunition

CGN Regular
    Here are the drawings on for the brass case and projectile.

Quote Originally Posted by Volhv View Post
    This stuff shows signs of high pressure. Flattened out primers, and cratered around the firing pin. Also hard to open the bolt, difficult extraction.
    I decided to pull a few apart, and measure out the load. Based on the drawing I've provided, the load should be 44 grains for a brass cased round with the 197.5 grain S.S. (Schweres Spitzgeschoß) ("heavy spitzer") projectile. The powder looks identical to the stuff I've pulled out of German WW2 7.92x57 ammo with headtsamps, so I'm positive the powder was not changed. It did measure out to 44.7 grains for both rounds I pulled. The projectiles were 196.5 and 197.1.
    Cartridge OAL is as it should be. I think the non corrosive primer is probably a bit hotter, and they put slightly more powder in than they took out when these were rebuilt.
    I fired these out of a VZ-24, and the recoil was pretty stout. Tried to Chrony a few of them, but with all the snow on the ground, and it was getting close to dusk, i could not get one reading. Too bad i wasted 5 round on that.
    I also measured the spent cased of length, compared to the unfired ones, and they stretched about 0.019.

I'm curious to see what experiences any of you have had with this ammo.
    Same thing here. Hard extraction and pitting on the bolt face of my East German refurb. My M48 liked it no better. Use this stuff with caution. Too bad. Not sure what I’ll do with the rest.

Here is my experience with this ammo.

Ingman 170 SP
    Can Am 197.5 fmj
    Sellier & Bellot 196 fmj
    PPU 198 fmj

The PPU was hitting point of aim last time out. This ammo hits high and right compared to PPU. The Ingman hits 2inches lower than the Can Am. But the Can Am was hitting 2 inches lower than the S&B. There is a little more drag opening the bolt with the Can Am but recoil felt the same as the S&B. It also grouped the tightest on this particular day. M48B 100 yards.
    Last edited by Bulriver; 01-21-2018 at 08:22 PM.

CGN Regular
    Got the chrony going
    2512 fps for this RC 197.5
    2508 fps for the S&B 196
    2043 fps for the PPU 198

Given the tolerances of fmj bullets, they essentially all are the weight.

These numbers were out of a 23.something VZ24 barrel.

I don't really get a good feeling from this stuff. Maybe the primers are super soft, and they annealed the brass too much much when it was rebuilt.

Not worth the price when you can just get S&B, which is reloadable, and has copper jackets instead of steel. I would definitely buy this stuff if it were priced like 7.62x39 surplus. Would be great for components, or to pull a couple grains of powder out of each case.

BANNED
    Ill be running this stuff thru my MG34 on the 10th of Feb. Will keep you posted.

Im Glad I picked it up on sale I think it came to 88 cents a round.

I haven't had any issue with it. Might be a bit hot.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .30/06 FTW's Avatar
    Just curious as to why this was taken off the website completely?
    "Instead of 'sewer,' I propose 'Trudeau.' Both terms describe massive deposits of human filth, and no person who knows what these terms describe would ever want to live under either one." ~Doc M
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt545
    I just took an assault poop as well. I know it was an assault poop because I "sprayed from the hip".

Are we talking about the RC ammo that was re-primed and had lasered 8x57 IS on the brass? I have several boxes that I haven't fired yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SKS Bitten View Post
    Are we talking about the RC ammo that was re-primed and had lasered 8x57 IS on the brass? I have several boxes that I haven't fired yet.
    Yeah. I just bought 4 cases on the 4 for 3 sale and haven’t shot any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by .30/06 FTW View Post
    Just curious as to why this was taken off the website completely?
    An answer would be nice. Is there a safety concern with it?
    "Instead of 'sewer,' I propose 'Trudeau.' Both terms describe massive deposits of human filth, and no person who knows what these terms describe would ever want to live under either one." ~Doc M
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt545
    I just took an assault poop as well. I know it was an assault poop because I "sprayed from the hip".

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast