Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hudson Manufacturing Admits All Warranty H9 Pistols Are Now Just a Pile of Parts

Hudson Manufacturing Admits All Warranty H9 Pistols Are Now Just a Pile of Parts

The following is the first in a series of articles about the demise of Hudson Manufacturing. IRUNGUNS had two warranty pistols from Canadian consumers that were tied up in this mess.

Subject: Hudson Manufacturing Admits All Warranty H9 Pistols Are Now Just a Pile of Parts

In Hudson Manufacturing’s 54-page bankruptcy filing outlining more than $11.6m in liabilities, there’s a section titled Property the Debtor Holds or Controls That the Debtor Does Not Own.

That section lists 79 warranty items. Curiously, every one of the items lists a value of $0. It’s unclear how Hudson rendered pistols it priced at $1150 to a state of worthlessness, but part of the answer was heard in a bankruptcy hearing held April 18th.
    In a small conference room in the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, Billie “Cy” and Lauren Hudson, the husband and wife co-owners of Hudson Manufacturing answered questions on a range of bankruptcy-related topics posed by the company’s court-appointed, interim trustee James Studensky. The pair are shown entering the courthouse with their bankruptcy attorney, Jennifer Francine Wertz, left. One line of the trustee’s questions related to the warranty pistols.

While the document shows 79 articles, the Hudson’s said it had 86 pistols in for warranty at the time the company ceased operation.

“I believe you told me that most of those have been basically broken down into their component pieces,” asked Studensky.

“Yes, I don’t know how much detail you want me to go into of our standard operating procedure,” answered Hudson. “But, since it was our first production run, we wanted to completely evaluate all possible problems and fix all possible problems. So they’re broken down, inspected, and put in queue after inventory to build back up and send out.”

Studensky then reiterated the question and asked if they were talking about a “complete disassembly of the firearm,” to which Hudson affirmed.

This makes the guns nearly impossible for even an experienced gunsmith to reassemble, asked the trustee.

“It is not impossible. However, if they do it wrong, they could possibly injure someone and create liability,” said Hudson.

And how long have they been in pieces, the trustee asked.

Since, “possibly August of last year,” answered Lauren Hudson, “depending on what part was affected.”

The trustee asked if the company complied with customer requests for the parts to be returned.

“I do not believe so,” answered Cy Hudson. “Since we did not have the correct part to fix the pistol. That was the only reason it wouldn’t have left our facility. It would have opened another type of liability to the company… and we were working hard not to do that.”

So, somewhere above and beyond the millions of dollars of debt that Hudson’s creditors will try to reclaim, there’s almost $100k worth of bought and paid-for H9 components that may never find their way back to their owners. The boxes of disassembled H9s are left in a limbo state. Hudson is no more, as is its ability to pay for assembly, and or return shipping.
    This is the first in a series of articles about the demise of Hudson Manufacturing.

Flat rate shipping to Canada is 25.00USD on all accessory and ammunition orders regardless of quantities ordered. Firearms are exported to Canada at a flat rate of 25.00USD per firearm.

The IRUNGUNS Team

www.irunguns.ca
    www.irunguns.com

I tried my best to warn people about the rinky-dink nature of the Hudson pistol after I handled it during its SHOT Show reveal. To no avail evidently....

Sometimes it is unwise to become an "early adopter"!
    Mark C

Sad, hope someone can pick up the pieces and support at least existing owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    I tried my best to warn people about the rinky-dink nature of the Hudson pistol after I handled it during its SHOT Show reveal. To no avail evidently....

What was wrong with them Bartok?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar

You heed “early adopters”. Someone has to take the risk otherwise we would never have new products.
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

Super GunNutz
    Wow and I was sure the H9 would be the new Glock once the prices went down

It's weird but their website is still fully up and running like they're a normal company.

(Intentionally not posting the link)

Funny enough, even the warranty part is still up (direct copy/paste):

OUR WARRANTY

Hudson Mfg LLC’s firearms are warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship. The manufacturer agrees to remedy any defects by repairing or replacing (with the same or comparable quality model) your firearm, without charge, if returned with a copy of the bill of sale. The terms of this warranty can only be modified in writing by Hudson Mfg LLC.

Hudson Mfg LLC assumes no responsibility for product malfunction, physical injury, death, or property damage resulting in whole or in part from criminal, negligent, or unreasonable use of the product, improper or careless handling, unauthorized modifications, use of defective, improper, or hand-loaded ammunition, customer abuse or neglect of the product, or other factors beyond Hudson Mfg LLC’s control.

NOTICE! The use of re-loaded, remanufactured, hand loaded, or non-SAAMI specification ammunition can potentially void the Limited Lifetime Warranty.

This warranty does not apply to normal wear of any parts, including metal, wood, plastic, rubber and other materials surface finish.

Hudson Mfg LLC reserves the right to inspect any product before making any adjustment covered by this warranty.

NOTICE! Altering or modifying parts is dangerous and voids the Limited Lifetime Warranty.

This firearm was manufactured to perform properly with the original parts designed.

It is your responsibility to make sure any parts you buy are made for this pistol, are installed correctly, and that neither the replacements nor the originals are altered or changed. Improperly assembled or assembly with incompatible or modified parts, can result in a damaged firearm, serious injury or death to you and others as well as property damage. Always have a qualified gunsmith work on your firearm.

If you believe your firearm is subject to repair of replacement for defect under this warranty, please contact our Service Department at warranty@hudsonmfg.com.
    I don’t have a signature block.

CGN Regular
    That's too bad - they had a really cool design. Had they kept costs down they could have found commercial success similar to Keltec perhaps. Keltec has always put their effort into design vs manufacturing, and just accepted a certain rate of warranty replacement as a sunk cost.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar

From what I've heard online, they basically shot themselves in the foot. The H9 by most accounts is a very good pistol. However, they released news of the new model with an aluminum frame far too early, and a lot of the people who would have bought a steel gun decided to wait for the lighter aluminum one instead. This caused sales of the steel guns to drop off, which in turn meant they never had the money to get the aluminum ones into production.

Had they not announced the aluminum framed guns and just kept making/selling the steel ones, there is a chance the company wouldn't be out of business now.

This news really sucks for those who did try this pistol though, having the company go under is one thing but having your gun become a paperweight if something breaks because you can't get it warrantied, you cant buy parts, etc really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by kridane View Post
    Wow and I was sure the H9 would be the new Glock once the prices went down
    Chances of a pistol at this price point replacing the Glock is unlikely, but it certainly had potential to be a popular pistol for a certain subset of people who could afford them.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    ...Chances of a pistol at this price point replacing the Glock is unlikely, but it certainly had potential to be a popular pistol for a certain subset of people who could afford them.
    Glock is definitely vulnerable to be unseated though, now that their guns are $1000 after tax in many cases.

When their name was building, it was reasonable to spend $500 for a decent gun that worked, as opposed to spending $1000 on an H&K.

Those days are done, though. There's little reason to spend the same on a Glock as you would on a Walther PPQ, or for a couple hundred more, a CZ Shadow2 that's way higher quality.

At some point, a company will unseat Glock if they continue to rest on their past accomplishments, just like Honda got spanked a decade or so after losing their innovation after being so great in the 1990s.

Glock is the Chrysler Minivan of guns, really, in that they once dominated the market and they'll continue to sell some forever, but their market share is just going to go down and down and down.
    I don’t have a signature block.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast