Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: DU damage control email....

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by dvgunner View Post
    Wow I have heard from both sides here. The negative being the healthy winner. I have to agree. We have placed a lot of money in DU's pocket over the years. With GUN and HUNTING paraphernalia in their organized auctions and dinners. The fancy gold plates and engraving on some of the firearms auctioned caught hunters eyes. But again stated here what was it we were supporting. Maybe they should have been auctioning off pots of SWAMP mud in an engraved pot.

Damn!! Not to run on. But we need to kick them in the pants and pulll all the cash we are giving them. FOR WHAT AGAIN!. I won't be supporting in any way or going to any dinners/auctions after this. I just hope my absence makes some noise!
    Some people view Ducks Unlimited as a fancy dinner and overpriced auctions. It's a shame you don't get to hunt in Alberta where I can hunt a different DU property every day for three months straight if I wanted to. Everything from partridge to moose.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingrocks View Post
    I am a lawyer who has worked with charities and nonprofit clients for several years. We may not like it, but my legal opinion is that DU's position is not only reasonable, but mandatory under the CRA guidelines for charities.

There is a very short list of things a charity can do, and if it does anything else it can be stripped of its charitable status and associated tax benefits. The list is this:
    relief of poverty
    advancement of education
    advancement of religion
    certain other purposes that benefit the community in a way the courts have said is charitable

Environmental conservation is something falling in the last category, and that's how DU maintains it charitable status. Firearms advocacy has not (as of yet) been seen by courts as a charitable community benefit, and it today's political and media climate, it is exceedingly unlikely that the courts would rule that guns are a community benefit worthy of charitable protection.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...haritable.html
    Being asked to post a link to a petition for their members IS NOT making a political statement, and that is all they were asked to do, make their members aware of the petition,, let's just say it's " advancement of education " ffs.
    DU could do this and they know they could,,but they have their grubby hands out for government money so they chose their side,, screw DU, they can crash and burn without hunters and sportshooters
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmastr View Post
    Some people view Ducks Unlimited as a fancy dinner and overpriced auctions. It's a shame you don't get to hunt in Alberta where I can hunt a different DU property every day for three months straight if I wanted to. Everything from partridge to moose.
    try hunting without a gun.

If I read it correctly, this is not a response to gun owners, but a response to DU volunteers. They still don't get it, without us there is no DU.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    Still the same.... DU gets no more support from TSE.
    Sounds like TSE feels a bit betrayed.

That's how I felt after the swiss arms kerfuffle
    Are you allowed to eat doughnuts private Pyle?

A: DUC does not hold a seat on this committee. Jim Couch is a DUC volunteer who accepted the invitation to join the committee as an individual, not as a representative of DUC. He does not act or report on behalf of DUC in this capacity. His qualifications for the committee (as outlined in his biography) include being a former executive at Potash Corp., a competitive curler, gun club member, retriever club member and DUC volunteer.

So being a member of DU has no bearing on why he is on the committee? The Govt. just picked him out of a hat (ok, maybe they did, it is the Liebs) as a.........what?
    "If you wanted me to fix it right it would have cost you more"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    "DUC can only engage in political activities that further our charitable purpose"

You wont have a charitable purpose if they take guns away from hunters. The migratory bird numbers will explode to the point we are shooting them as "pests" on the golf courses. Duck hunting is a dying discipline in my area, take away a hunters favourite duck gun and hand him a break-action, he is going to say kick rocks and go hunt some upland game instead.

Quote Originally Posted by like45's View Post
    A: DUC does not hold a seat on this committee. Jim Couch is a DUC volunteer who accepted the invitation to join the committee as an individual, not as a representative of DUC. He does not act or report on behalf of DUC in this capacity. His qualifications for the committee (as outlined in his biography) include being a former executive at Potash Corp., a competitive curler, gun club member, retriever club member and DUC volunteer.

So being a member of DU has no bearing on why he is on the committee? The Govt. just picked him out of a hat (ok, maybe they did, it is the Liebs) as a.........what?
    As a curler, maybe? ... they apparently needed a curler on the firearms committee. lol
    "You can't be a leader if you don't know where you're going"

CGN frequent flyer

They will never see a red cent from me. I thank them for letting their real colours show.