Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rem 783 Shorty price and timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank77 View Post
    Any ETA for the 223? Made a deposite at Dante for one. They were supposed to receive them over 2 weeks ago and still haven't got them. Estimated time would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    As of last night-Cabela's were in stock for the .223@$499

Got it yesterday���� Weeeeee!

CGN Regular
    Can anyone report on the accuracy? Running 55 grain 223's to be specific? Looking to pickup one of these one day.

Thanks in advance.

CGN Regular
    449.99 on sale @ cabelas

very tempting, but...

would prefer 1:7 or 1:8 twist for .223

and 20" barrel for .308 - isn't 16.5" barrel on a short side?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.45 View Post
    449.99 on sale @ cabelas

very tempting, but...

would prefer 1:7 or 1:8 twist for .223

and 20" barrel for .308 - isn't 16.5" barrel on a short side?
    For me I actually prefer the 1:9 twist, since it's optimized for 55 grain bullets. (I plan to buy cheap ammo and reload with cheap bullets). From what I remember on top of my head, everything other than the Savage Axis, Remington 783, and Mossberg MVP would come in 1:7 or 1:8.

As for the 16.5" barrel, it doesn't bother me too much since I care more about accuracy than muzzle velocity. 20" vs 16.5" barrels have less than 5% difference.

Has anyone tested the 783 Heavy Barrel? There seems to be no information online.

Also curious. Considering dropping it into a chassis as a cheap target rifle. Not much online, only found 1 video. Nothing on Instagram either. Don’t own any bolt actions yet, gotta change that lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jparent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwing View Post
    Why a heavy barrel? , sub 6lb 16.5" barrel 308 I'd be interested, shorter barrels are stiffer anyway, why make tacticool anchors, I don't get it. I must be getting old
    That was the main reason i got rid of my 16" AAC-SD. Handy length. But with the Magpul stock and and optic it was about 12lbs all up.

I think the RAP predator 308 and Ranch have about the perfect barrel contour and i wish more manufactures would follow suit.
    Looking down the barrel, of 1984...
    Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Foxtrot Oscar.
    It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomealvin View Post
    For me I actually prefer the 1:9 twist, since it's optimized for 55 grain bullets. (I plan to buy cheap ammo and reload with cheap bullets). From what I remember on top of my head, everything other than the Savage Axis, Remington 783, and Mossberg MVP would come in 1:7 or 1:8.

As for the 16.5" barrel, it doesn't bother me too much since I care more about accuracy than muzzle velocity. 20" vs 16.5" barrels have less than 5% difference.

Has anyone tested the 783 Heavy Barrel? There seems to be no information online.
    Was at the range today zeroing my 783 Heavy Barrel at 100 metres. Buddy has the same rifle and we both had another friend who does long distance shooting do the zeroing for us. He had both rifles placed in his metal sled. Both rifles using .223 55 gr produced 3 inch groups. Some hit bullseye followed by the next couple of rounds 3 inches away. All three of us shot and couldn't tighten the groups any better.

Open to suggestions on how to improve. Shall I try a heavier bullet? It's a 1 in 9 twist with a 16.5" barrel. Thanks.

CGN Regular
    Interesting... What ammo did you use? My AR doesn't like Rem bucket or XM855, but shoots 55 gr Prvi Partisan like a laser

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by victor16 View Post
    Was at the range today zeroing my 783 Heavy Barrel at 100 metres. Buddy has the same rifle and we both had another friend who does long distance shooting do the zeroing for us. He had both rifles placed in his metal sled. Both rifles using .223 55 gr produced 3 inch groups. Some hit bullseye followed by the next couple of rounds 3 inches away. All three of us shot and couldn't tighten the groups any better.

Open to suggestions on how to improve. Shall I try a heavier bullet? It's a 1 in 9 twist with a 16.5" barrel. Thanks.
    Oh wow, that does not sound like a good group with any 223 ammo/rifle setup. Was the barrel free floated while you were shooting? I was shooting off a bipod (not a sled) with my Savage B22, but I noticed that as I was moving the butt stock of the rifle, the front part of the stock would be touching the barrel. That alone threw my groups from 1-1.5" at 100M to 2-3" groups.

Thanks a lot for the post, and keep us posted.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast